Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Multi pin connector to tremolo block PCB

dezmoduo

The modular connector looks the same as the legacy units (300/600, etc), that I have - they are a tight fit, but should simply pull out. Be careful to pull them straight out, and not twist or bend any pins.

Tight fit is an understatement. I left it attached, thats how careful I was feeling. When the time comes I'll deal with it.

Bridge for a Variax Standard. What is it you are trying to do? 

So far I changed the nut for the slightly wider spaced Tusc model. It was a slight improvement but a good beginning. I'm installing a vintage spaced vibrato, with all that entails.

Most of my guitar are hardtails so vibrato use for me is a novelty not a priority. Good sound, action and playability are, of course, much higher on the list. 

Tonight I have the guitar strung up with 10's on a vintage spaced "AllParts" vibrato. I'm using the AllParts saddles right now. I had the Yamaha saddles installed just prior. They are the narrow spaced size but as a center bolt, straight pull saddle, they lined up very well.

I also have a  vintage spaced "BladeRunner" coming. That brand provides slotted pivot holes. This might save me from having to drill, dowel, drill the new holes. Easy will be good but I don't care if I have to do the dirty work.

Which ever one I find works best, I still have to drill and clean up 6 holes for the piezo wire through the bridge.

I also picked up a brass tone block from GFS, mostly because it's soft to cut, mill, machine, or drill. I'm going to copy the tone block profile of the Variaxe part and get in the ballpark with the brass one. Its a little tight in the tremolo routed area. I'll drill and tap the PCB mount holes which double as the ground. There are also individual ground spots on the PCB, I could run a dedicated ground wire if I wanted and just silicone the PCB to the block. Thats all down the line.

Now that the guitar is strung (10's are not for me anymore, 9.5's are my latest faves), I've been playing it with the normal pickups and unplugged. I need this guitar to ring acoustically a bit more. Its a little dull in the resonance department. Mind you that I'm not using the Line 6 piezo pieces right now. Those saddle inserts just sit in the cradle and that in itself can provide a loss of string vibration, nut to bridge.

I've got a 98 Parker Deluxe and its sharp and bright. The acoustic tone (electric) is really a treat in itself, while not a real acoustic. So my goal is the best acoustic tone I can get (unplugged), even if I have to block the bridge. And then there's always the "Ghost" system pickups. (two wire system, hot and ground for each string).

I am not familiar with the Yamaha pickups but so far I haven't been knocked out. I'm ultimately going to play this with my band and probably use the standard pickups 80%+ of the time. (maybe that will change with good fortune), It needs to sound good plugged in and rockin'.

Theres not much relief in the neck and once I adjust that I might have to shim the pocket. As I look at the heel profile at the neck joint, they left up to a half-inch of un-contoured wood in front of the pocket. The satin finish is nice but if I have to shim the neck I'll be tempted to clean up that joint.

Oh yes, I retired from work this fall. LOL

Dez

NYC

• 2 weeks later...

Variax circuits will have different tone (EQ) in different bodies, as the modeling is optimized

for what they were design for. There are four varieties of JTV, a Standard and Shuriken. Each

board is optimized for each of the six types of guitars they go in. They will sound different and

sometimes function different, depending on what board it is and what other guitar you put it into.

Line 6 does not support modifications to it's products.

It's at your own risk, so proceed with caution.