Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Exterior Preamp

Metalchef

I have a question my wife's brother just had surgery on his hand and won't be able to play anymore and is sending me his Lee Jackson Preamp can it be used with the Pod/DT 50 rig somehow? . I have no experience with these issues. I have heard tracks of him using this thing and oh my god does it sound nice. Does anybody have any experience with these preamps that can tell me about it. The Good and the bad Yo know?

I had to edit my first response 'cause I researched a little. I'm no expert as I have never used one of these set-ups. Since it's a preamp it sound like you would need a power amp. The DT50 would serve that purpose.

Hopefully someone who has more experience with lee Jackson preamp will reply for you. I still think the Pod/DT50 rig is more versatile, and sounds great.

I agree whole heartedly that my dt50/pod500 is way more versatile. This preamp literally fell into my hands free of charge just with a request that I give it a shot and use it when I can. I have never even seen one nor had any desire to own one but now that it is free that has changed. I I will in no way make it my go to over the pod unless it has the Grail Tone within it but something tells me it's just going to be a paperweight. I would really like to at least know how to go about routing it in to my rig if at all possible.

You can't beat it for free. I would certainly play around with it to see what it gives. Also, I think there's some web pages pertaining to modding it if your into it. I read a little about putting different tubes in it an such somewhere.

Since I was unfamiliar with this amp I dug in a little more, lol. Here's a video of someone using the Lee Jackson GP 1000 with a Marshall head. Here's another video. Looks like their made in the United States of America too, Wow.

Here's an article.

Awesome info thanks so much. I knew nothing about this thing and now can't wait til it gets here. I am totally expecting to only be holding on to it for my Brother in law. He was in a 80s cover band in Nashville and earns a living as a Mechanical engineer and had an accident with a cart machine at a Pasta plant and it severed two fingers off. He's had them put back on but is kinda in the dumps because they said he'd never get full use back so he started selling his gear and came to his preamp and he said rather than sell it to God knows who he'd rather see if I wanted to use it. So though I'm not sure how I'm going to use it yet I'd rather hold onto it even if I don't hoping that his spirits pick up and he wants it back. But in the meantime......

Hi, i use a bogner exctasy pedal as an exernal preamp, i created a dual amp patch ,by choosing just one amp with volume set to 0 in the 1st chain and leaving the second amp blank. ( you can also mute the 1st channel in the mixer)

Now your signal is bypassed and going directly to the dt power section.

You can place you're preamp in the pod,s effectsloop and place it in the second chain.

Wich is then going directly in to the power section.

Hope this is clear

Grts marcel

• Upvote 2

Awesome info thanks so much. I knew nothing about this thing and now can't wait til it gets here. I am totally expecting to only be holding on to it for my Brother in law. He was in a 80s cover band in Nashville and earns a living as a Mechanical engineer and had an accident with a cart machine at a Pasta plant and it severed two fingers off. He's had them put back on but is kinda in the dumps because they said he'd never get full use back so he started selling his gear and came to his preamp and he said rather than sell it to God knows who he'd rather see if I wanted to use it. So though I'm not sure how I'm going to use it yet I'd rather hold onto it even if I don't hoping that his spirits pick up and he wants it back. But in the meantime......

I'm really sorry to hear about your BIL, that is a bummer. Hopefully his fingers work better than he thinks they will. When he gave you that little rectangular box he gave you a part of his soul. When I read about this preamp and realized it was from the 80's It struck a chord with me (was in my early teens then) but not 'cause I played guitar. I was deep into learning and practicing being a mechanic/machinist/fabricator and all the 80's rock music motivated me when I was being creative fixing and making things. Take care of that preamp (especially 'cause he gave it to you and it's made in the U.S.A.). Like MGblade said you can go into the power amp section of the DT50 and get the true tone of that thing. Have fun with that little piece of history it'll never really get completely old, if ya know what I mean.

Thanks for that info MGblade, now I know what to do with the power amp section when that DT50 comes a knock'in.

Thanks guys like I said I had no clue what this thing does or how versatile it in itself is. I play in a late 80s / 90s cover band myself and my DT50 2x12 has been the star of the show at the every place I've ever played. My entire time after playing is usually filled with me giving a tour of my rig to most guitar players who most have never heard of this combo and once they see how I went from a Fender to a Soldano and ended with a plexi. That's my favorite part is watching the expression when they figure out its done by a POD and then I unplug the pod and they really go nuts when they see that the DT itself is 4 totally different amps in one. So I am hoping that this preamp integrates well. Why have I never heard of Lee Jackson or this preamp? Seems crazy. Well he will be here Friday to help me with it and show me how he uses it. As soon as possible can get it hooked up I will post. Some clips.

Hi, i use a bogner exctasy pedal as an exernal preamp, i created a dual amp patch ,by choosing just one amp with volume set to 0 in the 1st chain and leaving the second amp blank. ( you can also mute the 1st channel in the mixer)

Now your signal is bypassed and going directly to the dt power section.

You can place you're preamp in the pod,s effectsloop and place it in the second chain.

Wich is then going directly in to the power section.

Hope this is clear

Grts marcel

If I will use this method, signal from PREAMP in FX LOOP will go to CAB Simulation?