Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do I need ASIO Driver if recording through interface?

I building my home studio and I'm buying the presonus interface Studio 192 using it with Studio One as my DAW.

I want to start recording guitar parts to send them to professional projects. I have the idea that having a decent interface is going to sound better that just connecting my pod to the computer through usb. 

Do I need to download the ASIO drivers if I'm going to record through a decent interface like the one I mentioned before.

I'm open to suggestions on how to recording in a professional level with the pods like the x3 live particularly.

I've been playing live with the pod x3 live for 8 years connecting directly to the mixer and I have a good sound. I have a hot rod deluxe amp too. 

......... I have the idea that having a decent interface is going to sound better that just connecting my pod to the computer through usb. 

Not sure why you have that idea but suit yourself. The POD X3 Live device is certainly a 'decent' interface especially if you are just going to record guitar parts. In fact it's better than many because it supports 8 audio channels over USB, allowing you to do things like record the wet and dry signals for each Tone independently and simultaneously. For instance, you can use a dual-tone patch designed for guitar and vocals. You can then record, in stereo, both the guitar and vocal parts independently into different stereo DAW tracks. Simultaneously you can record the dry tracks into two other mono DAW tracks. In one take - six recorded channels: two processed stereo tracks  and two dry mono tracks. You could also, if desired, record the overall wet stereo mix of both Tones together, making an 8-channel recording. I think that's pretty decent.

If you're going to use another interface I suggest you use one that can do at least that. It seems that the Studio 192 is more fully-featured - perhaps overly so for your purposes? The Studio 192 would allow you to connect more instruments/devices for recording multiple performers although you don't mention that as a requirement for yourself.

In any case you need to use the driver that accompanies the interface device. In other words you should use the driver for the Studio 192 interface you will be using, or the POD driver if you want to give it a try.