Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Default settings for amps and patches

chaijen

Why have default settings especially for amps these ridiculous settings?

Why is it that for many amps like for example the Matchstick Channel 2 the default setting has Master Volume at 10 and Channel Volume at 8.8?

Who would ever play at this loud level? Whats the idea behind that?

Whenever you want to select an amp you have to constantly bring levels down to a usable setting first. Why is that?

Secondly. when you have dialed in a setting on an amp or effect and want to hear another amp or effect in comparison and go back to your initial  tone you have dialed in, all your settings are gone. Is there away around this other than saving a block snd making a new block every time?

One man's "ridiculous" is another man's "awesome". No matter what the default settings are, somebody's not gonna be happy. Every default could be set right down the middle, and there'd be weeping and gnashing of teeth over that too.

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't...

• Upvote 1

Well, I find quite a few of the default settings to be quite enjoyable. 

You can save template presets with all your favorite amp parameters then you would never have to go through the pain of turning a few knobs on the amp models again...

About comparing settings, other than saving as a separate preset, if you have available DSP, you could copy the amp block into another location in that preset, and fiddle with the copy. You can then set up a footswitch to turn on off and they either on, for quick comparison.

Of course you'd need to know you want to do that before you start editing yourself away from option 1, so you save the "original" first.

I very often end up with a bunch of copies of a preset next to each other, hopefully but not always positive evolution over time.

Master at 10 and channel volume at 8.8 do not necessarily equate to playing loud. Master generally controls how much power amp distortion a model emulates, and it is highly interactive with the deep editing parameters such as bias, sag, etc. For the most realistic simulation, master would typically be set at 10 for an amp model whose real world counterpart doesn’t have a master volume control. Channel volume can be used very effectively to match perceived loudness across presets. I have presets with similar settings and I don’t typically play very loud... just use the big volume knob to control signal level to your monitor (or use the monitor’s volume control).

There were several older Line 6 products that allowed you to save your own default settings. The last few have not had that. I've never understood why since, I'm assuming, it's a fairly rudimentary programming issue and I think a lot of people liked it. I know I did. Here's and idea scale requesting this feature. Vote this up.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Save-tweaked-model-defaults-for-Helix/796930-23508#idea-tab-comments

• Like 1