Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

USB input volume

MicheleZanasi

Ok, I know that this might seem a silly question, but I couldn't find the solution anywhere on the forum, so I'll just go ahead.

I just got my Helix LT, and I tried to use it LT to simultaneously play my guitar and a backing track on the same speaker. While my guitar is normally connected to the 1/4", the backing track is played by my laptop through the USB port, but its volume is way too high. Even if I turn the laptop volume to the minimum, I can barely hear my guitar. 

I've tried to create a new signal path with a volume control, but I can't choose USB 1/2 as an input... and I sincerely didn't get the multiple USB thing, since I see only one port.

Can someone answer? Thank you.

I think we need more information here to help you.  Are your speakers connected directly to the Helix via 1/4" out or XLR out, or are you trying to use speakers connected to the laptop?  Normally you would have your Helix connected directly to your speakers and play the backing track on the USB.  That way the Helix simply becomes the audio output device for your PC and you control the volume of the backing track with the laptop volume out.

Thanks! It worked perfectly.

For the record, the speaker is directly connected to Helix via XLR.

I'll try your patience with another question: I'm now trying to record my guitar on Reaper, while still using that backing track.

The problem is that the volume of the guitar recorder is way lower than the volume that comes out from the speaker. I tried to look through the ins/outs options, but I didn't see anything useful.

I'll try your patience with another question: I'm now trying to record my guitar on Reaper, while still using that backing track.

The problem is that the volume of the guitar recorder is way lower than the volume that comes out from the speaker. I tried to look through the ins/outs options, but I didn't see anything useful.

Are you recording to Reaper over USB?

Your recorded guitar from the DAW is a different input than you playing guitar through the guitar IN of the helix. So the volumes may be different at the speaker output.