Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

"HELIX HOME-STUDIO" - A suggestion for a new HELIX category

d0stenning

Seems to me there might be a place for a new range of HELIX boxes - under an umbrella range-brand of “HELIX HOMEâ€.

Such devices would not have any lesser quality components but would instead add a whole load of features that for many reasons would not be desired in any unit to be taken out on the road professionally and used on stage.

I see this as something more like what a L6 Pod style form factor allows ( minus the bean shape! ) combined with  the functionality of a FuseBox - combined with the functionality of those UAD interfaces with built in DSP. 

“HELIX HOME STUDIO†would be more like a HELIX Pod - and have no big screen, no stomps or scribble strips using instead an optional HELIX Control unit like the HELIX rack - and would have:

A ) built-in wi-fi receiver for editing the HELIX from PC/Mac/iPad remotely over Wi-Fi
B ) a built-in G10 quality wireless-receiver like some of the L6 Spider range.
C ) built-in USB hub with - say 3 USB A sockets
D ) similar to an iConnectivity box - a powered Lightning socket to support connection to and powering of an iPad or iPhone and routing audio into and out of such devices
E ) a USB-B socket to allow a PC or Mac to be connected AT THE SAME TIME as an iPAD !!! and to have audio routed as needed between the HELIX HOME - iOS device and PC/Mac.

F)   To go along with this unit- L6 would also introduce a new HELIX Control type unit - with scribble strips etc - but one that can optionally operate wirelessly. Over Wi-fi or Bluetooth 4.1 LE.   Again....... to reduce cable clutter on the home. 

HELIX HOME would also have any other feature - connectivity-wise designed to REDUCE the amount of wires and cable clutter associated with using a HELIX in a home-studio-rig kind of setup.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/New-Product-category-HELIX-HOME-STUDIO/920539-23508?submitted=1#idea-tab-comments

Seems to me there might be a place for a new range of HELIX boxes - under an umbrella range-brand of “HELIX HOMEâ€.

Such devices would not have any lesser quality components but would instead add a whole load of features that for many reasons would not be desired in any unit to be taken out on the road professionally and used on stage.

In addition to the kind of thing we see in LT and Floor, “HELIX HOME†would have:

A ) built-in wi-fi receiver for editing the HELIX from PC/Mac/iPad remotely over Wi-Fi

D ) similar to an iConnectivity box - a powered Lightning socket to support connection to and powering of an iPad or iPhone and routing audio into and out of such devices

E ) a USB-B socket to allow a PC or Mac to be connected AT THE SAME TIME as an iPAD !!! and to have audio routed as needed between the HELIX HOME - iOS device and PC/Mac.

F ) HELIX HOME would also have any other feature - connectivity-wise designed to REDUCE the amount of wires and cable clutter associated with using a HELIX in a home-studio-rig kind of setup.

Finally, the $4000 Helix I've always wanted!

(A) Not until I get WiFi-capable toilet paper. I'm home, Helix is home. USB works just fine.

(B ) See (A) above. If I'm home, sitting in a chair with Helix at my feet, what do I need with a wireless?

(C ) Or get one for $11 from Amazon.

(D) Again, if I'm at home within arms reach, why do I need my phone and/or iPad to talk to Helix?

(E) Why would it ever be necessary to have every electronic device I own connected to Helix at once? So I can edit multiple parameters simultaneously with all 4 limbs?

(F) Wireless audio connections for everything will create all kinds of problems...drop-outs, latency, etc. Disaster in the making...no thanks.

One of the key factors for successful businesses is called "stick to your knitting", which means that successful companies know what they excel at and don't venture out into other areas that are not their expertise.  What you're detailing here would be a great consumer electronics piece of gear.  But Line 6 isn't a consumer electronics company, it a pro audio performance company.  I would hate to see them deviate into the kinds of things you're noting here because it means they would be diluting their attention away from being a leader in the industry at what they do, and focus on area which are not at the core of what their customer base looks to them for.

• Upvote 1

These wishes and ideas are really not 'new': We discussed it in many threads here.

Just search for ' wifi ' in this forum!

I am (still) very happy that Helix is really a professional tool, not 'consumer electronics' ;) 

And again: There are are other products (by L6) that offer wifi connection etc.

• Upvote 1

In addition to the kind of thing we see in LT and Floor, “HELIX HOME†would have:
F ) HELIX HOME would also have any other feature - connectivity-wise designed to REDUCE the amount of wires and cable clutter associated with using a HELIX in a home-studio-rig kind of setup.

Interesting.. but...

A. This would add too much cost relative to the number of people who want it.

B. Built-in receivers on pro gear are never going to happen, for many reasons already discussed.

C. Sorry, this makes no sense on a piece of music gear. There are too many other ways to do this.

D. This is not a horrible idea. But again, not enough need or want or will pay for it.

E. I think this is probably wanted by only 7 people in the world, so it's not worthwhile to build in the box.

Helix and Rack and Helix LT are only at the price they are because they sell in the thousands or tens of thousands. A product that sells in the hundreds is never going to be practical for a large company to make, unless they can charge exorbitant prices for it. Line 6 can't do that.

Interesting.. but...

A. This would add too much cost relative to the number of people who want it.

B. Built-in receivers on pro gear are never going to happen, for many reasons already discussed.

C. Sorry, this makes no sense on a piece of music gear. There are too many other ways to do this.

D. This is not a horrible idea. But again, not enough need or want or will pay for it.

E. I think this is probably wanted by only 7 people in the world, so it's not worthwhile to build in the box.

Helix and Rack and Helix LT are only at the price they are because they sell in the thousands or tens of thousands. A product that sells in the hundreds is never going to be practical for a large company to make, unless they can charge exorbitant prices for it. Line 6 can't do that.

<A. This would add too much cost relative to the number of people who want it.>

My thinking on this idea has evolved a bit. Think of this not like a HELIX Floor or Rack  but instead something a little more like one of those UAD boxes - ( interfaces plus internal DSP holding plugins ) with a means of adding a HELIX Control  unit for pedal control. The HELIX type screen would go. This would lower the cost somewhat. 

The use case is not for gigging but to be the centre of a home studio setup.  

< B. Built-in receivers on pro gear are never going to happen, for many reasons already discussed. > 

Yes but this isn't "Pro" in the sense of what you're thinking - elsewhere I've made clear this unit isn't for gigging. Nor is it for professional recording studios which can afford to have lots of separate units cabled together with any cabling taken care of as studios do. This is for HOME use - And L6 already makes a spider combo with G10 tech. 

< C. Sorry, this makes no sense on a piece of music gear. There are too many other ways to do this. > 

Of course there are other ways - but the clear advantage here is in reducing a whole load of clutter and complexity. And anyone who has a MIDI setup - OR uses iPads with more than one MIDI controller needs a USB hub. The USP here is simplicity.  Taking up less space. Much less space. With partners or wives around - clutter matters more. Also people living in small accommodation - students etc.  Plus other manufacturers already are thinking lies this. NOVATION and Arturia being two companies who have integrated USB hub functionality into their interfaces.  The Arturia FUSEBOX  shows there is a real demand for an interface that deals with many many requirements. 

< D  and E > 

Music making and performance on the iPad is currently seriously hotting up. And will only accelerate as the CPU Apple makes encroaches on Intel terrain performance wise. So iOS - as with macs will become more and more common in musicians setups.  One big reason in supporting these iOS products is that the apps cost considerably less than on PC/Mac.  I also think not enough guitarists are aware of just how much of a win-win combination a HELIX combined with an iPad or iPhone provides.  I don't know how many might want this right now - but sometimes one has to lead the way :)

And those iConnectivity boxes prove there is a market. 

=============================================

Again - my thinking has evolved - and i see this as something with a L6 Pod style form factor - combined with  the functionality of a FuseBox - combined with the functionality of those UAD interfaces with built in DSP. 

In other words a "pro-grade"  unit that can act as the electronic "Centre" and "HUB" of  a compact recording and production setup - one which covers all the typical use cases likely to arise - and forward thinking - as to iOS tablets - and a unit that allows users to 

get rid of the apple camera kit 

get rid of iPad usb chargers

get rid of a whole load of "Wall wart"  PSU units 

get rid of USB hubs

get rid of need for  mains power-block socket extenders to house all the extra wall-warts

get rid of a need for a separate audio interface in addition to the guitar amp-sim box. 

get rid of a lot of audio cabling necessary for the typical audio-routing between iPads, PCs/macs and other devices 

i've probably missed something else too.   You'd be amazed how much extra clutter has to be added simply to add one extra "unit" into one's rig.

You want all that stuff at a price point that will sell (otherwise it won't be made) and it's not going to happen. Sorry, jus' saying'.

<A. This would add too much cost relative to the number of people who want it.>

My thinking on this idea has evolved a bit. Think of this not like a HELIX Floor or Rack  but instead something a little more like one of those UAD boxes - ( interfaces plus internal DSP holding plugins ) with a means of adding a HELIX Control  unit for pedal control...

< B. Built-in receivers on pro gear are never going to happen, for many reasons already discussed. > 

Yes but this isn't "Pro" in the sense of what you're thinking...

< C. Sorry, this makes no sense on a piece of music gear. There are too many other ways to do this. > 

Of course there are other ways - but the clear advantage here is in reducing a whole load of clutter and complexity. And anyone who has a MIDI setup - OR uses iPads with more than one MIDI controller needs a USB hub. The USP here is simplicity.  Taking up less space. Much less space...

< D  and E > 

Music making and performance on the iPad is currently seriously hotting up...

A. Nice dream, but the cost will be too high I bet.

B. Helix is their pro line. Period. There already is perfectly great stuff for "non-pro" use.

C. Adding something as fiddly as USB to a product like this adds cost that only seven people want.

D & E. The number of people who are clamoring to connect both a computer and tablet at the same time is... well... other than you... I haven't heard anybody ask.

Sorry, too specialized.

This is a classic example of "because I would find all of this stuff useful/ awesome, therefore everyone else should too". If you look hard enough, you'll find a guy who thinks that Helix will never be complete until patches can be edited from his WiFi equipped lawn tractor...but just because he'd be thrilled hardly makes the desire universal. I think it would be endlessly entertaining if the tap tempo feature responded to farts, but in the end it's just gonna make you spend more money on beans...so where's the upside?

Too many irons in the fire is never a stable business strategy. Watering down their flagship product to make it more appealing to the "everything must be connected to everything else at all times" demographic will accomplish nothing except making the unit more expensive, and turning off the fence-sitters for whom cost is already a stumbling block.

Fear not, though. Just wait for the release of Apple's "iEverything". It'll satisfy cravings you don't even know you have yet...😂

get rid of the apple camera kit 

get rid of iPad usb chargers

get rid of a whole load of "Wall wart"  PSU units 

get rid of USB hubs

get rid of need for  mains power-block socket extenders to house all the extra wall-warts

get rid of a need for a separate audio interface in addition to the guitar amp-sim box. 

get rid of a lot of audio cabling necessary for the typical audio-routing between iPads, PCs/macs and other devices 

i've probably missed something else too.   You'd be amazed how much extra clutter has to be added simply to add one extra "unit" into one's rig.

giphy.gif

I can't be sure, but I strongly suspect that getting rid of extra clutter on someone's desktop is not in the strategic product plans for Line 6.   :lol:

However, I also strongly suspect there may be a Chinese company that's building something that will address most of these things and you will find it on the shelves of your local Walmart soon.

All the above humour and scepticism ( and cynicism )   doesnt seem to have stopped other companies combining features which simplify the lives and workflows of producer-musicians and home-studio recordists, singer-songwriters etc..

For your consideration - one word:  AUDIOFUSE.  

Proof one doesnt have to sacrifice audio and build quality when putting together a "Swiss-army-knife" studio-interface-hub that covers many common functions: