Photo

Xd-v55 With A Lapel Mic

Best Answer RonMarton , 24 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

Just to clarify...

I'm thinking that the main misunderstanding is indicated by you (correctly) saying that "I would have thought that a "complete system" should work straight out of the box without the need for extra equipment...

Indeed it should ! :)

...And your excellent V55 would, given that it's designed to be a "one for one", direct plug-in replacement for a microphone.

In other words, it is meant for someone to remove their wired microphone ...and then plug the receiver in to that existing cable so that the microphone is now wireless.

The problem is that your other source (the PC for presentations) delivers its sound at a level that is much higher, "line" rather than "mic level" ...and that higher line level is all that your existing passive mixer is designed to receive.

Which is why Sheriton has offered the excellent suggestion of replacing that existing passive mixer with one of these:

http://www.thomann.d..._xenyx_802.htm

Once you do that, the instruction manual that arrives with it will give a clear explanation, so that you and your team will soon find it very easy to operate not only the XD-V55 systems, but also add other sources of sound such as iPods and the like. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jstanley860

jstanley860

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

is it possible that the V55 cannot be used with a (Lavalier) Lapel Mic? The Mic works fine when held close to the Speakers mouth but when it is clipped to a Lapel or Collar as it should the Speaker cannot be heard. I've tried all of the Model "Mode" settings(51, 52, IF, Off) but the issue remains.

thanks in advance for any insight into this issue.

#2 Sheriton

Sheriton

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLeicester, UK

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

Perhaps a silly question, but why can't you just turn up the gain on the channel that the receiver is plugged in to? A lapel mic will always need a bit more gain than one that is used closer to the mouth.

I've used the supplied lapel with my V75 system - it works exactly the same as any other lapel mic.

#3 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

When you put the mic right up to the mouth it is literally getting a signal that is more than 10 times stronger then when you place it down on a tie so it's 10 times as loud. Microphones simply "catch" the sound that is thrown at them.

If you try the same test with any mic you will get a similar result ... Wired or wireless.

#4 jstanley860

jstanley860

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:55 AM

OK, maybe I should have stated that I'm not a Musician or Roadie, I'm a IT Geek that has been tasked to "resolve the issue". That's why my question probably comes across as "a bit silly". I do have a minimal knowledge of Audio Systems and know that increasing Gain should help. My problem is I don't know how to increase the Mic Gain on the XD-V55.......... Considering that the Handbook for the System doesn't really go into any real detail I had assumed that the "Mode" settings on the Mic Receiver were the gain settings for particular Mics but changing the mode settings had no effect.

any info regarding increasing the gain would be appriciated

#5 Sheriton

Sheriton

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLeicester, UK

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:50 AM

I was referring to my own question as being silly, not yours ;)

The extra background is useful - it's always difficult to know at what level to pitch an answer. On the subject of gain, imagine for a moment that we're talking about a normal wired microphone rather than a radio system. If it's too quiet, how do you make it louder? The mic itself has no controls so you need to adjust the pre-amp that it's plugged in to. It's pretty much the same with radio mics - whilst some do have settings for level control, you would generally make adjustments on the pre-amp, not the mic system.

The big question is therefore: what are you plugging the mic in to? That's where the adjustment needs to be made. If you're unsure of which controls do what on whatever equipment you're connecting to, just list the make and model details and I'll have a look for you.

#6 jstanley860

jstanley860

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:15 AM

the system is being used for presentations and has no pre-amp or post processing, the mic is plugged into the remote receiver for the system which obviously in turn tranmits to the base station. there is a small cheapo 4 channel passive mixer between the speakers and the XD-V55 base station so that the volume from 3 sources (2 Presentators, 1 PC for videos that run with the Presentation) can be controlled.

I understand the concept of gain and the inherent disadvantages of "too much" gain, I'm not "just" a Geek :)

correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like I may need some sort of active mixer or pre-amp to achieve the results I'm(They're) looking for.

I would have thought that a "complete system" should work straight out of the box without the need for extra equipment, apparently that's not the case.

#7 Sheriton

Sheriton

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLeicester, UK

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

Can you detail exactly what each item of equipment is - there'll be a lot of guesswork going on without knowing exactly what we're dealing with.

As you don't mention amplifiers, the speakers are presumably powered (i.e. have amplifiers built in)? What inputs do they have? As the Line6 systems are designed to behave a lot like a wired mic in terms of the signal level that comes out of them, they need to be connected to an input that can deal with a mic level signal. If you've got a passive mixer that you're plugging both mics and a PC in to, it's never going to work well as they produce completely different signal levels and need to be connected to different types of inputs.

From the details you've given so far, I suspect a small proper (not passive) mixer will solve your problems and improve the overall system quality considerably. Something like a Folio Notepad or a Zenyx Q802 would let you connect a pair of mics and a couple of line level sources (like the PC) and mix them properly. And perhaps give whoever sold you this kit as a "complete system" a clip round the ear...

#8 jstanley860

jstanley860

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

yes, the speakers are Active........... the Folio doesn't appear to be available here in Germany, the Zenyx looks like it isn't too complicated. it has to be realtively idiot proof, these are Sales Reps doing the presentations. I'll recommend the mixer(or something similar with Mic inputs) to the people responsable, it's only 70.- Euro so that shouldn't be an issue. Oh, and I didn't buy the kit, wasn't even consulted......... I just have to make it work

thanks for your time and expertise Sheriton. I'll try to post back when the powers that be have been made happy

#9 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

The problem is that your passive mixer cannot add any gain.  You need an active mixer to be able to drive your powered speaker or you need to turn up the sensitivity of the speaker system.  The passive mixer is also adding noise to the system (which may or may not be a problem to you)

#10 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:26 AM   Best Answer

Just to clarify...

I'm thinking that the main misunderstanding is indicated by you (correctly) saying that "I would have thought that a "complete system" should work straight out of the box without the need for extra equipment...

Indeed it should ! :)

...And your excellent V55 would, given that it's designed to be a "one for one", direct plug-in replacement for a microphone.

In other words, it is meant for someone to remove their wired microphone ...and then plug the receiver in to that existing cable so that the microphone is now wireless.

The problem is that your other source (the PC for presentations) delivers its sound at a level that is much higher, "line" rather than "mic level" ...and that higher line level is all that your existing passive mixer is designed to receive.

Which is why Sheriton has offered the excellent suggestion of replacing that existing passive mixer with one of these:

http://www.thomann.d..._xenyx_802.htm

Once you do that, the instruction manual that arrives with it will give a clear explanation, so that you and your team will soon find it very easy to operate not only the XD-V55 systems, but also add other sources of sound such as iPods and the like.

#11 jstanley860

jstanley860

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:39 AM

this thread can be set to "Answered". After purchasing a Xenyx 802 the system worked as required, thanks for the answers guys..............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users