lawrence_Arps

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

Kia ora Koutou

(thats hello to you non Kiwis)

So made the call and bought a Dreamstage.  2 x L3Ts, 2 x L3S, 3 x L2Ts for monitors, and of course the M20d!

Working with a bass/drum /guitar line up behind 3 female singers.  In a couple of weeks time we will have a full set up rehearsal in a hall to set the scenes etc.  can't wait.

Im planning on trying the Doubler to widen my guitar feed, and Ive been pondering using 2 of the L2Ts for Foh and have L3T - L2T - L3T across the front and running a full stage mix through the L3Ts, as well as giving the singers a cab each.

Anyone tried anything like that?

#2 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

I had done 2 L3t as mains with the L3s's and then monitors L2t - L3t - L2t.  It worked fine.  I would have liked to try L2t as mains but never got around to it.

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

...2 x L3Ts, 2 x L3S, 3 x L2Ts for monitors...

...Working with a bass/drum /guitar line up behind 3 female singers.  In a couple of weeks time we will have a full set up rehearsal...

...I'm planning on trying the Doubler to widen my guitar feed, and Ive been pondering using 2 of the L2Ts for Foh and have L3T - L2T - L3T across the front and running a full stage mix through the L3Ts, as well as giving the singers a cab each...

Greetings to Aotearoa from just across The Ditch...

If half a century of bump-ins, mixing and bump-outs have taught me anything, Lawrence, it's that each band line-up and gig is effectively unique, ...so (as our very good friend litesnsirens has already indicated) I honestly don't believe that many folks will claim to have tried "anything like that".

What we can certainly report is that your inventory forms one of the most powerful and intuitively adaptive systems it's possible to buy, almost regardless of price.

I've found that (among other attributes) the automatic "tailoring" of a given StageSource speaker's "sweet spot" when it "senses" horizontal for monitors (as opposed to vertical for FOH) results in the need for far fewer enclosures than our prior experience of other systems leads us to expect.

For me, the most wise and vital thing that you've done is to recognise the need for that period of familiarisation, one that I'm certain will not only be an absolute joy, but will also prove to be one that demonstrates

1. That only our very largest venues may require the L3Ts for FOH and
  2. That dispersion of a "true image" from StageSource monitors makes it a lot easier than we'd expect for individual performers to "share" an enclosure.  

#4 lawrence_Arps

lawrence_Arps

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Gidday Ron 'ows it going mate?  Just off to order sux peeces of fush and chups.... ;)

So yesterday I got to set up outside and try both the L3S + L3M combination, and the L3S + L2M combination.

I also ran the L2T in moniyor mode and checked out its ability to carry a rhythm section at moderate levels.

Ive decided to keep the L3Ms up front both cos I prefer the L3M + L3S combination, and cos I was impressed with the way the L2T performed.

Now all my neighbours for quite some distance are familiar with my test tracks.....

(if anyones interested my go-to test tracks are....."IGY" - Donald Fagan,  "Come away with me " - Nora Jones, "Jam" - Michael Jackson, "I cant make you love me" - Bonnie Raitt , and "For the Love of God" - Steve Vai.)

#5 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

Good stuff, Bro.

...Ive decided to keep the L3Ms up front both cos I prefer the L3M + L3S combination, and cos I was impressed with the way the L2T performed.

Now all my neighbours for quite some distance are familiar with my test tracks.....

LOVE your "smorgasbord" (or should that be "hungi") of test tracks !  :)

Anyone not familiar with those brilliantly recorded tracks should check them out, ...the point being the way that your selection instantly reveals every deficiency that a system or set-up might have when attempting to deal with:

1. Transient "punch" and "majesty" from kick drum/s,
  2. Unintended "overhang" or loss of detail in the delivery of punchy riffs and/or Bartok pizzicato "slaps" from electric bass and/or double bass,
  3. Accurate "placement", "spread" and undistorted sibilance (extending to detail in "breathy" sounds) from vocals and
  4. Full "airy" ambience from cymbal "sizzle" and/or the top notes of strings and brass ensembles, delivered without any "smearing together" or "gritty" distortion.

Betcha didn't find any, Lawrence...

#6 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Sorry, but I was also going to add that we should never "rule out" using our smaller L2's as main FOH until we've experimented with setting a higher frequency for the crossover to them from the sub or subs.

Given the cramped conditions forced on us in some venues, using a pair of stand-mounted L2 enclosures with just one sub "out front" and sharing fewer enclosures for monitors is often a real "gig saver", ...as is the ability to only pack a few "t" enclosures (or even just one) to create an "instant" stand-alone PA or practice rig.

#7 lawrence_Arps

lawrence_Arps

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

The Live 6 rig is the closest Ive heard yet to a studio monitor sound in a mid priced livesound speaker. (I am looking forward to hearing the Pre-Sonus speakers, but these are going to price above the line 6 )

actually I might consider setting the rig up in my studio for doing overdubs........my nearfields are pretty good for mixing but these would give me that live gig buzz that lifts a solo from being "well played" to "just blazing".

and yes...the sheer adaptability of these components mean we will be able to do the mega wedding package.....1 L2M in the church with acoustic gat and 1 vocal as the bride arrives, 2 L2Ms with acoustic and uprightbass and the trap kit in the bar during the predinner drinks, 2 L3Ts with the whole band in the dining hall providing background music, then all together in the Hall with the subs for the 3 sets of live dance music before handing over to the DJ for the last hour.......now thats a gig! - and with the scenes preset its all quick and easy.

yup Im in love!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users