Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects: Need Help w/ Programming Delays & Delay Times

nmcasale

Hey there,

New to Helix stuff w/ an HX Effects I picked up last weekend. Loving a lot about this but really finding delay programming frustrating coming from a DD-500 (and Timeline as well). I'm trying to find out of if it's a pedal limitation and/or user error. It's a new "ecosystem" for me so maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

I'm a BPM guy, so is my drummer, hell...so is my whole band. The BPM integration on this pedal seems extremely lacking with a reliance on just MS. I've found BPM can be set using the Tap switch w/ subdivisions but I'm having issues with certain delays just not recognizing the BPM set here (Elephant Man, Brigade). The manual was really disappointing in terms of information on individual effects info, for example: Delay time ranges.

For example: I set an Elephant Man patch to 110 BPM - 1/1 works fine as do faster speeds however If I set the BPM down to 60 for longer delay times not only does it not do 60bpm but it doesn't change at all. I understand the delay may have a time limitation, but what's odd is that if I go into the patch and manually reduce time via MS it does slow down to those speeds (or close to).

Other Issue I'm having: If I use what seems to be the only method to use BPM on this pedal (tap tempo and note subdivision) - that means I can't have ANY other tap effects that I want to freely tap tempos with in that preset or "board" because as soon as that happens the delays are all out of time. Is there a way to set a delay tempo via the tap/bpm and subdivisions and then LOCK that tempo?

Thanks! This thing sounds great, but delays are a huge part of why I got this and not really liking the tempo options. 

It's a similar limitation to an actual pedal where you have the option of tap tempo vs time.  What you may be able to do is set the tap tempo for each fx block and then don't change it.  If you want another delay time you could add an additional block with a different time.  That's just my guess.  Think of it working as an actual delay pedal.  Someone more knowledgeable can probably tell you about delays specifically.  But that would be my guess.

Hey there,

New to Helix stuff w/ an HX Effects I picked up last weekend. Loving a lot about this but really finding delay programming frustrating coming from a DD-500 (and Timeline as well). I'm trying to find out of if it's a pedal limitation and/or user error. It's a new "ecosystem" for me so maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

I'm a BPM guy, so is my drummer, hell...so is my whole band. The BPM integration on this pedal seems extremely lacking with a reliance on just MS. I've found BPM can be set using the Tap switch w/ subdivisions but I'm having issues with certain delays just not recognizing the BPM set here (Elephant Man, Brigade). The manual was really disappointing in terms of information on individual effects info, for example: Delay time ranges.

For example: I set an Elephant Man patch to 110 BPM - 1/1 works fine as do faster speeds however If I set the BPM down to 60 for longer delay times not only does it not do 60bpm but it doesn't change at all. I understand the delay may have a time limitation, but what's odd is that if I go into the patch and manually reduce time via MS it does slow down to those speeds (or close to).

Other Issue I'm having: If I use what seems to be the only method to use BPM on this pedal (tap tempo and note subdivision) - that means I can't have ANY other tap effects that I want to freely tap tempos with in that preset or "board" because as soon as that happens the delays are all out of time. Is there a way to set a delay tempo via the tap/bpm and subdivisions and then LOCK that tempo?

Thanks! This thing sounds great, but delays are a huge part of why I got this and not really liking the tempo options. 

Some of the analog delays have maximum delay times that are shorter, so if you tap in a tempo that's longer than the max time, what happens is the delay time will be set to the next note value that works. Check out Ben Adrian's answer here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/20724188/

If you want a BBD-style delay with a longer delay time, check out the Adriatic Delay. That has a max delay time of 2000ms.

As far as the BPM, you're basically correct - tapping in a tempo effects all the time-based effects with note values in that preset (or snapshot, as I'm about to describe). You might want to check the MIDI/Tempo settings in the Global Settings menu. You can have it so the tap tempo is global - it affects all the presets, per preset - it affects the preset and all snapshots in it, or per snapshot - it only affects the current snapshot. So if you could conceivable tap a tempo in one snapshot and then go to another to tap again, and have the delay time in the first snapshot remain unaffected. If you had the Snapshots Edit parameter set to "Recall", the tempo you tapped in the first snapshot would be saved when you left and be the same when you came back.