Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How good is controlling tremelo with tone nob on Shuriken/Helix

ktweedy1

I am trying to decide on whether to get the Shuriken or the JTV Floyd version of Variax.  I prefer the way the Shuriken looks, although the JTV is pretty cool and would be happy with it.

1. My main consideration is the Shuriken doesn't have a tremelo system.  So can I emulate the tremelo with the Helix using the tone nob as pitch control?  Can I emulate droping pitch like a locked floyd would do?  And can I emulate pitch increase and decrease like a floating floyd would do?  And does it work well?  I think if I can get good tremelo bar emulation on the Shuriken I would purchase it. 

2. I would never use my tone control, so wondering if there was a self centering tone control that could be increased or decreased but returns to zero position automatically.  Some kind of spring loaded nod.  any thoughts?  I'm wondering if there is a foot controller that would work this way, where is it spring loaded so sits in 0 position and forward would increase pitch and back would decrease pitch, but auto return to zero position.

3. Does the extended scale help with tracking using standard tuning?  I don't really use drop tunings so don't really need the extended scale length but understand the increased string tension may help with tracking some.

4. Not critical in my buying decision, but curious, can I add Ghost Tech midi out?

Thank you for leaving any commits.

1) Check in with the Helix postings here on the Forum page.

2) No. As for foot controllers, might want to check in with the Helix postings here on the Forum page.

3) Scale has no affect.

4) 9-volt system is not compatible with either or any Variax. And there won't be enough space in

the cavity without routing out some of the wood to make space for it all.

Line 6 does not endorse modifications to its products. Inserting modification that affect the functionality

of the product can void your warranty. Any modifications would be at your own risk.

1. My main consideration is the Shuriken doesn't have a tremelo system. So can I emulate the tremelo with the Helix using the tone nob as pitch control? Can I emulate droping pitch like a locked floyd would do? And can I emulate pitch increase and decrease like a floating floyd would do? And does it work well? I think if I can get good tremelo bar emulation on the Shuriken I would purchase it.

If this is your main concern, I'd say you'll be far better off with the JTV...I can't see the tone control producing a convincing tremolo bar dive with a pitch-shift effect...you'd have to be very precise in manipulating the knob, and depending on how "tight" that knob is, you might have trouble rolling on and off fast enough to achieve the desired effect. It's likely more trouble than it's worth.