Photo

Deceiving Advertising By Line6!

asio drive latency line6

Best Answer toneman2121 , 08 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

even though i know little to nothing about recording i follow this thread because i kind of take offense to the heading and want to establish for myself if the claims are accurate. 

so i went to the products page and scoped the description. all i have to say is within 2 minutes i found what i would call the obvious. and i only say this because of what i learned from reading this thread. if i were reasonably knowledgeable to recording, i could determine from the statement, "stagescape is not designed to record into your daw." if that's what i had in mind, i would inquire at the time i was ready to purchase.

maybe one of you guys can tell me if i get the gist.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 katiekerry

katiekerry

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

It actually says right on the website that it doesn't work with a daw system.. and that you will experience latency.. Multitrack Recording, With or Without a Computer

StageScape M20d makes it easy to get a great-sounding live recording — in the way that works best for you. You can capture 16 channels plus the main mix in high-resolution, 24-bit WAV format to SD card, USB drive, or direct to your Mac® or PC. There’s no need to set up a DAW — simply mix the raw tracks in your favorite software later. From ideas and rehearsals to entire performances, StageScape M20d is the fast, streamlined way to get amazing live recordings.

Please note: StageScape M20d is optimized for multitrack recording to SD card, USB drive or direct to your computer. While StageScape M20d eliminates the need for an expensive array of outboard preamps and pro recording gear, it is not designed to replace traditional bi-directional sound cards or DAW interfaces, and does not facilitate low-latency thru monitoring. Also, if you use computer-based virtual instruments in your live performances, you must first connect the audio outputs from the computer to the input channels of the mixer.

JTV 59 Tobacco Burst

HD500

Alesis DM10 Studio

#22 spuddle

spuddle

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

I used the "streaming over usb to computer" feature this weekend but it was more because the SD card slot broke on me (SD card would not latch down no matter what I tried and kept springing back out...).

Since an important audio/video recording interview with a band was about to start I quickly rush to grab my laptop and install the audio interface drivers for the MD20. Fortunately that went smoothly without a hitch and 5 minutes later I had set-up my DAW to receive tracks from the mixer. Of course sending the audio to the monitors I expected would be a disaster since now I had 2 seconds of latency to really throw the interviewees off. So I disabled monitoring and went blind from there...

I was surprised to see that the touchscreen and onboard effects become defunct in usb streaming mode which makes sense, you shift everything to the daw/computer instead. I would not use the USB-streaming except in an emergency like this so at least the event could go ahead as planned but it was far from perfect and with mechanical failures after only 2 months... well I am pretty jaded with line 6 products by this point and think I will be selling the md20 once I get the sd card slot fixed.

Sorry Line 6 great ideas but cheap production/hardware have killed what little faith I had in the brand. Nearly all the line 6 products I have brought have died on me sooner or later and the short 1 year warranty and high cost of repair means all that gear turns into worthless bricks.

#23 antonioctd

antonioctd

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

I've been working around the latency. 

Using Sonar X2 I've set up a nudge setting that puts the clips in their intended place by just pressing one key! Easy and fast ;)

I recording an important demo now. The quality of this demo will determine the quantity of summer shows one of my bands will have!

I did a stupid thing and ended up with no audio interface (explained in my original post). So I'm stuck with dealing with M20ds latency. 

Is going easier than expected I have to say!

I'll post the results when I'm done :)

In attachment is a pic of my setup for guitars.

The Cab is in another room screaming really loud at an EV N/D478 microphone  :ph34r:  :lol:

Also, Line6 is being very friendly with me! And I know they are trying to fix the latency problem. 

If they do fix it, this thing will be a dream box!!  B)

Attached Files

#24 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

Sorry Line 6 great ideas but cheap production/hardware have killed what little faith I had in the brand. Nearly all the line 6 products I have brought have died on me sooner or later and the short 1 year warranty and high cost of repair means all that gear turns into worthless bricks.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinions but is this based on the SD card slot?  You were saying that the card wouldn't stay seated in the slot, is that right?  That just sounds like the latch isn't catching so the spring keeps pushing it back up.  I mean that's a bugger but a little tiny latch malunctioning is hardly something to base the entire workings of the M20d on.  Personally I don't understand why they bother with the latch thing.  Even when the SD card is seated properly you can pull it right out without pushing down on the spring.  My MacBook Pro doesn't have any kind of spring mechanism for the SD card slot.  You slide it into place and then just pull it out,  no muss no fuss.  Less chance of something like this happening.  

#25 spuddle

spuddle

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Hey, you're entitled to your opinions but is this based on the SD card slot? You were saying that the card wouldn't stay seated in the slot, is that right? That just sounds like the latch isn't catching so the spring keeps pushing it back up. I mean that's a bugger but a little tiny latch malunctioning is hardly something to base the entire workings of the M20d on. Personally I don't understand why they bother with the latch thing. Even when the SD card is seated properly you can pull it right out without pushing down on the spring. My MacBook Pro doesn't have any kind of spring mechanism for the SD card slot. You slide it into place and then just pull it out, no muss no fuss. Less chance of something like this happening.

Agree -- There's a reason the Macbook SD slots are not spring hinged... fewer failure points so this was a bit of an oversight by L6.

My opinion is also based on the low quality of the touch screen and the fact that there isn't quite enough processing power on tap when recording/switching between heavy duty scenes. The whole UI becomes a lag-fest with unresponsive touches and rotaries.

For light duty use the MD20 does pretty well and I'm able to teach my employees and volunteers how to use it very easily. Also there isn't quite anything else like it regards multitrack recording (without the need for a computer) but at the end of the day I really don't trust the hardware to hold-up (nor do Line 6 otherwise they would offer a longer warranty wouldn't they?). I've had other hardware such as the M9 and UX series interfaces fail on me just after the warranty expired. Nearly every other piece of gear I have purchased from other companies is still going strong after years of use so it seems to me that L6 don't intend for their products to last anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users