#1 scotterp

scotterp

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

Since some others have posted some examples... this is a live recording from a recent bar gig (warts and all). The live tracks have been mixed by a friend and he posted some songs on Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.c...dios/rebel-yell

There are no overdubs (hence the warts!). 

#2 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

Is quite amazing how good little thing records isn't it? Ask your buddy if he had to turn up the gain on those tracks in his DA W this is what I have to do and ProTools 10

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#3 brianj402002

brianj402002

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSt. John's

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

Great sound..wouldn't expect any less from the M20d. I too have to crank the gain a bit after importing to DAW. Not complaining...as long as I get the sound FOH that I am getting...but it would be nice if the M20d had some mastering capabilities...but it's not designed for that...maybe Line 6 has some ideas for future releases???

#4 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Great sound..wouldn't expect any less from the M20d. I too have to crank the gain a bit after importing to DAW. 

That would be somewhat normal in most cases.  Remember that the M20d is taking those same wave file levels and then adding gain in the form of all the tone shaping that you do in your mix.  

#5 scotterp

scotterp

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

He does have to boost it, but he hasn't said that it is anything out of the ordinary. He thinks the raw sound is fantastic in quality. He's blown away.

#6 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

I imagine the same for all of us. The sound is great. It was the third "wow" for the people in my band. First was the m20d board, then the stage source speakers, and the recording quality. Actually, recording came before the speakers.

So glad I found out about this gear. I have since purchased the relay g55 which is also a great unit. For me, the g55 has been exceptionally clean. Awesome sound. And I went with an xd-v75 (got an amazing deal on it). It too is great.

I didn't think I would become such a Line6 user. But it is nice stuff. Really looking forward to the IEM system they are working on!! 😉

#7 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

Usually have to add about 15 dB gain with the audio suite in my ProTools, but as you can see the quality is awesome

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#8 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

Given digital's low noise floor, (but the nasty and irredeemable "crunch" it generates upon hitting its 0 dBfs headroom limit) folks...

I'd always MUCH prefer to add a little gain "in post-production" than risking losing that one-of-a-kind recording, anyway.

...this is a live recording from a recent bar gig (warts and all)...

The "woo-hoo !" at the end, summed it up for me, Scott !

IMHO, that absolutely "rocked", in every sense of the word.

Great performances !

I reckon even better than a few I attended here in Oz by none other than Billy Idol himself, fronting his own band.

#9 scotterp

scotterp

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:46 AM

Thanks Ron! The main purpose for our recordings is for us to listen to afterwards and be able to identify where we need to focus for improvement. The fact that the quality of the recording is so good still blows me away. And it's SO easy to accomplish. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users