Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod XT Pro - Reaper recording

For the past year or two I have been unable to set up my Line 6 POD XT Pro to record properly into Reaper. I had to have a friend round to have a poke around for me with hopes that he may be able to fix it so this is said friend typing on my behalf!

Presently, I am able to record but playback is very crackly.

My setup is a little unconventional. I have an audio out port from my PC going to one of the Aux in's on my stereo system, to which my standard hi-fi speakers are connected. The POD XT Pro is connected to the PC via the usual firewire cable. However, I have to have a cable running from the Phones jack to the other Aux in port on my stereo system, so I have to toggle between the two Aux inputs depending on whether I want to hear sound from my PC (including audio playback from Reaper) or sound from my Line 6. Bit of a nuisance as it means I can't really jam along to YouTube videos or mp3s or whatever. I know this setup is weird but it's all I have.

To attempt to solve the crackling problem I went to Preferences in Reaper and saw that the current Audio system setting in Audio > Device is "WASAPI (Windows 7/8/Vista)"

My friend said that the norm is to have whatever ASIO device is available, so we tried this, and there are 2 sub-options of ASIO Driver, these being ASIO PODxt Pro or ASIO4ALL v2.

Using ASIO PODxt Pro resulted in horrible noise when both recording and playback (earlier on trying it there was no sound at all).

Using ASIO4ALL v2 resulted in smooth playback of existing recorded sounds but would not record anything. I presume the fact it says 'Not Connected' in the inputs section has something to do with it but there are no other options for some reason and the ASIO Configuration dialogue didn't give us any answers.

I have made sure that the Aux input channel is on the right one every time with respect to whether I'm recording or playing back, so I presume the noise or recording issues are nothing to do with that but may make things more complicated.

So can anyone advise how to eliminate the playback crackling when using WASAPI / ASIO PODxt Pro and/or how to get recording to work when using ASIO4ALL?

System basic specs:

Windows 7

Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU    540 @ 3.07GHz   3.07 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 3.00GB

System type: 64-bit OS

Unfortunately I'm not especially computer literate so if anyone can help but explain things in layman's terms as much as possible that'd be great!

You should be connecting the stereo system (your monitor) to the 'unbalanced audio out' jacks on the Pod.   Use the 'ASIO PODxt Pro' driver.   You'll need to set the driver to send the computer's output (from USB) to the output, as well as the guitar + FX.  See page 3.5 of the manual.

Manual:

https://l6c-acdn2.line6.net/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593d9cc37b/application/pdf/PODxt%20Manual%20-%20Version%203%20(%20Rev%20H%20).pdf