Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Longer Antennas (Antennae?) for My G50 Receiver

T4570

Hi gang,

I'd like to mount my G50 Receiver in the back of my rack, but the antennas are too short. They get hidden. behind all those metal enclosures.

Can I replace them with BNC 433MHz swivel antennas? I found some online, but don't want to buy if they aren't going to work.

Thanks.

No, they won't.  The G50 works on the 2.4GHz range, so 443MHz antennas won't pick up a clean signal.  If you need to extend the antennas, i'd pick up a couple short LRM-240 grade or better extension cables and find a better place/way to mount the antennas (suction cups? magnets? short mic stands?)

• Upvote 1

50-75 ohm is impedance of the cable.  pretty sure you want it to be 50-ohm for sure.  Past that there are different classifications of the actual cable like LMR-XXX or RG-XX, where each classification basically says 'at these frequencies, this is how much signal loss you can expect per X distance'.   I suggest LMR-240 because that's the best bang for the buck you'll probably find.  if you're running really short (like 6 in jumpers) it probably won't make much of a difference over the more common RG-8 cable, but with the price difference, i'd rather get the one with less signal loss.   Then the connector is the last important piece (BNC i believe in this case).   Do an amazon search for "LMR-240 bnc" for examples.  Keep in mind if you get a jumper, you'll probably need to get a coupler/gender changer for one side.  Or look at the rack mount kits that will give you a front rack panel with a couple short jumpers so you can get the antenna mounts in front of your rack space. (i.e. Shure UA440)