87 replies to this topic

#21 jeanpicasso

jeanpicasso

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

seeing how many ppl on this forum who use an airport express and they all report back that it works flawlessly (when its setup correctly), I must admit that im a little puzzled why someone insist on buying the different USB dongles and routers that apparently doesnt have the same succesrate. :rolleyes:

nah.. of course I am joking :P .. but still. ;)

I get that its cheaper to choose the alternatives. I just think that the mixer is in a pricerange where i really dont want to "cheap-out" on what i connect to it. just wondering :)

#22 SiWatts69

SiWatts69

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationSouth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

This is actually one area where I think the manual and online support docs let the M20d down.

Connecting using a router is only "touched on", ie it is mentioned that it can be done but there is no step by step instruction as there is for dongles. Likewise, the list of dongles supported is somewhat short... with at least one of the three now being discontinued. As the listed dongles aren't easy to get hold of, I guess most people would just assume that any dongle would work, cos it's just a dongle isn't it!

I nearly went down the dongle route, but decided against at the last minute, getting the Airport Express in the end. I chose the apple product not because it was apple (I'm not an apple fan) but because it had the added bonus of being able to wireless stream music from the iPad via Airplay with the addition of a 1/8 to 1/8 audio cable from router to aux input on desk.

#23 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2515 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

Gutted, I bought the Belkin N600 USB adapter and the M20D doesn't recognise it :'-( will have a look for the router, strange how they aren't the same.

I was talking about the N600 router ... not the USB adaptor.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F9K1102/

#24 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

I use the airport express. It was an easy setup, and it works flawlessly. I use a relay55 and the xd v75. So far, never had an issue with anything. I am amazed at the clarity and quality of the 55 and 75. I think I will switch my router to the 5GHz band just to avoid any problems I have heard of.

I would expect a flawless connection with any decent router. Much better than a USB dongle only.

#25 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2515 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

Unfortunately I know of no way to shut off the 2.4G with Airport Express.

#26 larsolofpark

larsolofpark

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

Hello!

Due to limited knowledge i technical English I might have missed some information. I have a Belkin N600 router with a USB-slot. Do I still need an ethernet adapter connected to the Stagescape mixer?

#27 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2515 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Yes ... use the Apple adapter.  I believe that USB port is an output (but you could check with Belkin)

#28 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Unfortunately I know of no way to shut off the 2.4G with Airport Express.

Would the 2.4 interfere if no one was logged on to it?

#29 SiWatts69

SiWatts69

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationSouth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:01 AM

Would the 2.4 interfere if no one was logged on to it?

I would summise that if there are few other 2.4Ghz networks in the vicinity AND you don't need to keep the 2.4 band "clean" for use by radio mics etc, then there's no real need for you so isolate to 5GHz.

It would only really be relevant if you arrived at a venue where there was a significant number of other 2.4GHz networks operating AND where there networks were spread across the channel spectrum leaving you with no "clean" channel areas. Even if you are using a 2.4GHz radio mic you shouldn't have a significant problem, but if you have multiple mics, it might be worth limiting to the 5GHz band.,

#30 magician_red

magician_red

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hi,
Can I use a IPAD3 or IPAD air with soundscape remote?
THx for your help^^

#31 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

My iPad 3 is working and I am sure the air will too. Likely running iOS 7.

#32 Bassgumbo

Bassgumbo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

We've got a M20-d and it is a game changer.  My only significant problem has been with frequent drop-out/disconnects with the iPad(s) we're using; the connection with the iPads will just go away, necessitating shut-downs/re-boots of the wi-fi and/or ipads to get it to work again.  We are using the Samsung WIS12ABGNX dongle.  After reviewing multiple threads here, I'm thinking that we are probably getting interference from any of the multiple wireless units that are also at play- mics (one of which I believe runs at 2.4 GHz), IEM's, guitar/bass.  Would changing over to a router, either the Apple Airport Express or Belkiin N600, make a difference?  Does the Belkin unit (or any other compatable units) allow isolation to only 5 GHz?  Or would simply keeping the other wireless units farther away from the M20-d help the situation?  It's the only aspect that drives the sound guy crazy....Thanks in advance for your help.

#33 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2515 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

Traditional Wi-Fi is a tricky technology.  It doesn't like to compete with any kind of interference.

You could try elevating your dongle by using a USB extension cable and getting it 6-8 feet up in the air.  External router are usually more reliable and using the Belkin N600 running at 5GHz only will eliminate any problems you are having with local 2.4G interference.  The Airport Express cannot be switched to 5G only but the Belkin can.

#34 Bassgumbo

Bassgumbo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

Traditional Wi-Fi is a tricky technology.  It doesn't like to compete with any kind of interference.

You could try elevating your dongle by using a USB extension cable and getting it 6-8 feet up in the air.  External router are usually more reliable and using the Belkin N600 running at 5GHz only will eliminate any problems you are having with local 2.4G interference.  The Airport Express cannot be switched to 5G only but the Belkin can.

Thanks- that's pretty much what I thought.  Elevating the dongle doesn't seem a possibility in some of the venues we play, so I think it best just to cut to the chase and get the Belkin N600.  In that case, is the Ethernet-to-USB adapter choice that critical to have to use the Apple model, or as Digital-sound has discovered, the Moshi model?

#35 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2515 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Line 6 recommends the Apple cable only.

#36 Bassgumbo

Bassgumbo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

Does the Belkin unit need to be set up with a PC or Mac prior to hooking it up with the MD20-d, or can it be set up through the iPad?  Appreciate your patience with my questions.

#37 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:55 AM

I have experienced first a USB router type CISCO Linksys AE1000, cause it is cheaper than the APPLE kit. But I had several disconnection troubles during gigs, and sometimes It took time to recover the connection. This is a stressing experience, you know that. Then I resolve to get the APPLE AIRPORT kit 6 months ago, and definitely I consider that it is much much more efficient and safe  :)  :).  I'm often using also LINE6 wireless gear as guitar or XDV mics, it does not generate any kind interference. Then I'm fully satisfied with that solution, far more the best one, up to me,... for a few € expense. (I have a LINKSYS for sale….

QUESTION : I read in a previous post that "it had the added bonus of being able to wireless stream music from the iPad via Airplay with the addition of a 1/8 to 1/8 audio cable from router to aux input on desk." I tried to do while plugging with a cable 1/8 from router  to M20d 1/8 to Aux, but the media player does not recognize the connection. What is the right way to proceed? Thank you for your kind answer (may be already answered somewhere else through this powerful user forum…)

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL OF YOU   :D 

#38 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

I think you need to add a "laptop" icon to the stage, the one that shows input 17/18 to use the 1/8 inch audio cable from the Airport Express. (and set levels etc..)

Then set the iPad to stream to the Airport Express...

#39 Bassgumbo

Bassgumbo

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

OK, so I got the Belkin N-600 router, did the initial set-up on my PC, then hooked it up to the M20-d with the Apple ethernet-USB adapter.  The M20-d says it's looking for a connection, but doesn't find it.  The iPad sees the router network (which i've limited to 5 Ghz only) and lets me sign on, but no joy in getting the M20-d and the router to talk to each other.  Is there a setting on the M20-d that I need to adjust to get the 5 Ghz network, to avoid any interference from the 2.4 Ghz wireless units (including a Line 6 G30 that I have coming) that we have?  Any help is much appreciated.

#40 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2515 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Same thing I did wrong the first time. Reinitialize the router and leave it not setup. Now connect it to your mixer and set it up from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users