Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with 4CM setup, routing, levels and unity gain.

RandomGecko

Can anybody help me with the finer points of a 4CM setup?

I'm using a CAA OD100 and want to use the Helix for everything effect and switching related.

I have it all set up, but when compared to my pedalboard being in the loop, the Helix setup is always louder. So much set that I'm setting the final output at -11dB to match the volume of nothing at all in the loop.

Does this sound right? Am I supposed to be using the final output to match the levels or is there a better way/something I'm missing?

The OD100 has a line level loop and I have it set the following way...

Guitar to Helix in

Helix FX send 1 to Amp inpit

Amp FX send to Helix Return 1

Helix Send 3 (final output) to Amp FX return.

I have FX loop one set at instrument, for the amp input to see the right level and FX loop 3 at Line, for the FX return. Only issue I guess I can see there is that the amp's FX send is sending a line level signal, but I tried patching that into FX return 2 on the Helix, set to line level and it all seemed mega loud.

Common sense makes me think I need to isolate the amp's loop and make it see only line level signals, but having tried it by using three of the Helix's loops, I dunno what else to try?

I guess just dipping the level at output is an option but I'd prefer it to be totally unity somehow?

Any help would be great.

So I just tried it another way, by putting the amp's FX loop in loop 2 of the Helix - return 2 in the signal chain, then outputting at Send 2 and setting that to line level. This way I have to set the final output at -4dB to match the loop with nothing in it... I guess that's the +4dB line level thing rather than 0dB?!

Any help would be great.

Here is how I wire my two amps.  Clearly you can ignore the 7CM altogether if you just have one amp.  Make sure to set your output levels appropriately in Global Settings (instrument or line level).

4 Cable Method (4CM)
Cable #1 Guitar to Helix Guitar In

Cable #2 Helix FX Send Loop 1 to Amp #1 Main Input

Cable #3 Amp #1 FX Send Loop to Helix FX Return Loop 1

Cable #4 Helix 1/4" Left (mono) Out to Amp #1 FX Return Loop

7 Cable Method (7CM)

Cable #5 Helix FX Send Loop 2 to Amp #2 Main Input

Cable #6 Amp #2 FX Send Loop to Helix FX Return Loop 2

Cable #7 Helix 1/4" Right Out to Amp #2 FX Return Loop

Meaning, I need to be sending to the front end instrument level and the loop line level.

Which effects are too loud: the effects you put in front of your amp or the ones in the effects loop? If the ones in front of your amp are too loud, they may not be set for instrument level. 

Tried that, made it too low.

Here is a response from another link in the forum a while back http://line6.com/support/topic/27450-4-cable-method-woes/ from jaeger28

"Any in or out on the helix can go between line and instrument level. Obviously the output for the cable going from helix to your amp in should be instrument, now the cables from and to your loop, they should be instrument or line, depending on what the effects loop is built for, pedals (instrument) or rack gear (line)"

Dennis

I have a CAA 50 Classic + running the Helix 4CM and it sounds great. I run everything instrument level. How about your overall volume level on the Helix? I run mine at 12 O'clock and that seems to be about right. Good luck. BTW I just downloaded the latest V2.50 and now when I push the Joystick it won't open the model select. Anyone know why?

I have a CAA 50 Classic + running the Helix 4CM and it sounds great. I run everything instrument level. How about your overall volume level on the Helix? I run mine at 12 O'clock and that seems to be about right. Good luck. BTW I just downloaded the latest V2.50 and now when I push the Joystick it won't open the model select. Anyone know why?

Hey man. I'm using an FX loop for the final send so I'm not using the master volume! I tried it though and about noon-1 o'clock does seem about right if using that.