Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which Amp To Add To Pod X3live And Jtv?

Hi guys

I own a JTV 89F, a pod X3L and up to now I used my atomic reactor amp.

Maybe I will change my amp but I know the X3L has no line 6 link.

What will be the better choice?

Have an Lm speaker or a dt 25?

Do they have an input which skips the pre amp like I was used to with my atomic, so I can have all the advantage of my X3L?

I will only skip to a Pod HD when it will have the possibilities of the X3L.

So with bass amps and mic pre amps, until then I will be happy with my X3L.

By the way on this forum I read that the Pod 550 HD doesn't sound better than the X3L.

I have no experience with the 500 HD, so I don't know.

Thank you for your answers...

I have a JTV, HD500 and L2t. I can't tell you how happy I am with the L2t. I would recomend the L2t(m) to anyone who has bought into modeling. FRFR is great if you can find it. I have been chasing a true FRFR systems and modeling for at least 10 years.

Since I completed the dream rig with the L2t, I can sya I am completely satisfied. Buy it you won't be disappointed.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

the HD amp modeling has ~10x the data of the X3 modeling, I  notice this most on the "mid-gain" tones with amps like the deluxe, Dr. Z, etc.  Either the HD500/X or the X3 will work great with the L2 using the XLR output of either POD and going into the L2 on "reference" (flat response).  the HD500/X will also give the option of the L6 link, which can "remember" the speaker setting with the preset and is great if you want to switch between electric guitar mode and acoustic mode with the touch of a button.

Hi guys

By the way on this forum I read that the Pod 550 HD doesn't sound better than the X3L.

I have no experience with the 500 HD, so I don't know...

From what I have read (and based on my personal experience with both) there are many more comments in this forum that say the HD500 sounds much, much better than the X3. The HD500 sound quality is much more authentic, dynamic, and responsive.

There are some good reasons to stick with the X3 (dual output mode, recording features, direct bass/vocal support) but amp/FX modeling quality is not one of them. For playing live there's really no comparison (imho) in the tonal quality. The Pod HD beats the Pod X3 hands down.

• 2 months later...

Before I bought my L2t my main amp was an Atomic Reactor 112x50.  Great amplification solution for Modelor preamps......The only problem, I had to add a keyboard amp for the accoustic amps and then create patches than panned to one amp or the other depending on the patch. 

I then purchased the L2.  The rest is history........

• 4 weeks later...

I then purchased the L2.  The rest is history........

Anyone have any opinions on the difference between the L2T and the L2M?

Down the road, I would really like to invest in something like the StageScape mixer, and a few of these L2 speakers for mains / monitors. It's also cool that you can also use it as a guitar amp / stage rig, for going full-on 'Studio/Direct' out of the HD500.

It's tricky for me- as much as I like the HD modelling, (and having upgraded to the HD500 from an X3L back in 2010, it definitely holds up in terms of tone); I really do like the way the HD500 interacts with the Bogner DT25. I'd call it an L6 DT25, but the bits I like the best about the HD+DT interaction, has to do with the Bogner portion of the gear.

I would really like to hear the DT direct out into an L2 speaker enclosure. In terms of using the L6Link from a DT to an L2, are there any issues with the tone? Not sure how it handles that, since the DT is L6Linked to the HD500, it sets itself to 'combo/poweramp', which is not a pleasant sound direct.

In terms of simplicity, I can definitely appreciate the HD500 + L2, as far as, being able to use the acoustic models on the Variax, and having the versatility of the full range / flat response sound system to amp the HD500. First, I have to pay off the JTV59, the hard case, and the DT25. Then, I will definitely be taking a closer look at the L2's!

Taking a careful look and reviewing the message boards is highly advisable. I don't have an L2 but I believe there are several topics/issues that you may want to be aware off before buying unless you can easily return or try out in store.

If I rember right, the DT XLR out is Mic level so you may want to consider get the L2 with mixer if you want to use this connection, and I believe there is an open issue that the L2/3 switch to combo/poweramp mode when connected via L6 Link and you change a patch on the HDs. There may be more, but I am not tracking these topics and may have missed some important detail to be aware of. The sound I hear is great and L2/3 FW updates may address issues, though I would not trust that this will happen. You should aim to be happy with what you get today.

• 6 months later...

I all sounds nice

But what would you suggest.?

In fact the L2M is a FRFR amp, but it also has knobs for electric guitar and acoustic guitar.

What is more logical to do, use Pod X3L with studio output setting and use electric guitar and acoustic guitar, put it on output setting combo and use guitar outputs or put it on studio output with a FRFR stetting?

I am curious about your experiences...

I have a JTV, HD500 and L2t. I can't tell you how happy I am with the L2t. I would recomend the L2t(m) to anyone who has bought into modeling. FRFR is great if you can find it. I have been chasing a true FRFR systems and modeling for at least 10 years.

Since I completed the dream rig with the L2t, I can sya I am completely satisfied. Buy it you won't be disappointed.

+1 to that! I replaced my Marshall tube amp with an L3m to go with my JTV and HD500. With the L3 I find it easier to dial in the tones I need and they sound more transparent and less muddy to my ears.

Whether you go 't' or 'm' really just depends on whether you need the built in effects on the 't' version (some guys hit the DSP limit on their patches, use the built in reverb on the speaker and take it off the HD patch saving some DSP) and whether you are likely to add vocals or an acoustic i.e. using it as a traditional p.a.  I just wanted a stand alone unit which sounded kick lollipop and IMHO my L3 delivers in spades!

The only disadvantage you have is that you don't have access to L6 link so won't be able to change smart speaker modes on the fly. To be honest though my L3 is set to 'electric guitar' mode 90% of the time anyway so it's probably no big deal.