Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX with Boss ES-8 - MIDI and routing

Stratsrule828

Hi all,

A long time MIDI/multi-FX fan here - currently I run a Boss ES-8 with a Strymon Mobius for modulation effects and Eventide H9 for delays and reverbs.

Basically, it looks like the HX can handle all of the above - and more. But before I get in too deep, I was wondering if anybody here could chime in on routing possibilities in conjunction with a MIDI switcher?

Currently, I run both my Mobius and H9 in the ES-8's loops to switch pedal order (in front/behind drives) and also utilize each pedal's "pre/post" functionality when playing an amp with an effects loop. Basically, a method that makes any routing combo possible with any amp.

Would it be possible, with an HX and ES-8, to achieve the same level of versatility?

I guess I'm confused as to what you would be using the ES-8 for... Would you still have other pedals in its loops? Are you wanting to keep the H9 and Mobius?

The HX has one stereo/two mono loops. If you use the loops as two mono loops, you can put them anywhere in its internal signal chain. You can also put any effect block in the HX signal chain whereever you want.

The idea would be to ditch the Mobius and H9, using the HX specifically for modulation, delay and reverb. Beyond that, I have a couple overdrives and a couple fuzz pedals that I toggle between and often program mod effects both in front and behind them, delays and reverbs in back, etc. - the ES-8 has proven to be a breeze setting up different combinations via MIDI involving so many different pedals.

If you want to create two pre and post signal chains where you can put blocks from the HXFX and the ES-8 in any order you want, it gets pretty messy... You end up using 4 of the ES-8 loops just for connecting everything together, and you would need 8 cables(!). Here's what I came up with... (cables are longer and bolded --->) The numbers I used for the ES-8's loops are just arbitrary.

Guitar ---> ES-8 Input --> ES-8 Send 3 ---> HXFX input --> HXFX Send 1 ---> ES-8 Return 3 --> ES-8 Send 4 ---> Amp Input --> Amp FX Send ---> ES-8 Return 5 --> ES-8 Send 6 ---> HXFX Return 1 --> HXFX Send 2 ---> ES-8 Return 6 --> ES-8 Output ---> Amp FX Return

I'm one-week in to exploration of a similar idea:

I have a large pedalboard (32" x 16") utilizing a Mobius, Timeline, Eventide Space, Empress Tremolo2, and Pigtronix Infinity Looper.

The whole thing is controlled by a RJM PBC (similar to your ES-8).

I also have analog drives, boost, compressor, etc. in the PBC loops.

So far, I can say the HX absolutely covers what the five "big box" pedals were doing (plus more).

I'm using one of the HX audio loops for my analog drive pedals (which can be positioned anywhere in the signal chain on a per preset basis).

I have the compressor before the HX input. 

The second audio loop is dedicated for amps with effects loops (or perfect for auditioning the latest pedal du jour).

With the drive loop "on," I manually turn on and off the pedals I need - so no more complex presets but honestly I am always adjusting drive and boost pedals on the fly anyways.

I have to say, so far I'm really happy with the results (and my new pedalboard which is half the size!).

Yeah, it's forced me to pare down a little but this is what I'm doing now:

Compressor -> HX Input -> Loop 1 (Analog drives) -> Loop 2 (Amp Efx loop, other pedals) -> HX output 

The one huge feature that I don't think Line6 is featuring enough, is the two analog audio loops are completely movable based on where you assign them in the signal chain (on each preset).

So on most presets, I'll have a modulation effect before the drive pedal loops and then all of my "wet" effects after the Amp effects loop. 

The only thing is each analog loop counts as one block (of nine) in the signal chain, so with my setup I can use seven HX effects. Which is a lot.

Right now I'm digging deep into the MIDI programming (each preset can "fire" six commands on recall) to integrate my amps and amp functions.

-Ryan

Right on, Ryan. If an extra tap or two per song can save 3-4 spaces on a board it seems worthwhile.

With Loop 2, can you use your overdrive pedals as well? For me and my setup, I'd be looking to run at least a drive or two for light overdrive/boost tones as my Mesa Mark IV goes from clean to mean with no in between.

Yeah, exactly - I have the second loop open so I can plug anything into it. 

All of the analog in's and out's (including the send / return loops) are adjustable to instrument or line level.

Luckily I've found with my setup everything works best as instrument level so whether I patch in the amp effects loop or other pedals it's all the same.

Cheers!