Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

l6 link and Helix

axus73

hi guys. I have a couple of L3t’s connected via L6 link.

When I plug a stereo source in the RCA inputs they automatically configure L & R.

when I hook my Helix (into the same cab) to play over backing tracks the L3t’s configuration switches to 1 & 2, I can hear Helix stereo but i can hear the audio source only from the speaker which is connected to.

So I have to run an extra cable from the first cab’s mix out to the other’s mix in.

is there away to configure the system to work just with the L6 connections?

I've had the same issue and I really don't understand Line 6's logic behind it. As soon as Helix is connected to L6 Link, it overrules the regular stereo 'logic'. The only way to make this work for me, is to use an external mixer (or go with the built in mixer of the L2/3M) to connect Helix and the backing tracks to the mixer and then the mixer to the RCA inputs.

However, when the speakers (an 'M' and a 'T') are laying down (in monitor position) and they are connected via L6 Link, both of them play back the same signal. So even when you're using the built in mixer, it's always mono. In that case you have to use an external mixer to connect to both speakers individually if you want to hear stereo. But when you connect Helix to speaker A and then speaker A to speaker B, all via L6 Link, it's stereo again. Confusing and annoying for sure!

I wonder if this will work properly if you use the L6 connection from the Helix to the two chained L3t's and then just use two Helix return inputs with an RCA-->1/4 adaptor cable from your stereo source?

This way i would be using Helix ad my playback source and that would be great. I am just lazy enough to set all my patches with a return block. So i am guessing this is something you cannot fix changing helix internal settings.

I wonder if this will work properly if you use the L6 connection from the Helix to the two chained L3t's and then just use two Helix return inputs with an RCA-->1/4 adaptor cable from your stereo source?

This way i would be using Helix ad my playback source and that would be great. I am just lazy enough to set all my patches with a return block. So i am guessing this is something you cannot fix changing helix internal settings.

Not sure if you could find a combination of settings that would do it another way but using the RCA --> 1/4 adaptor cable should work and as you say that way you can control everything from the Helix including the level and assigning a footswitch to kick in the returns when you wanted to pipe in external music. Just put the returns block right before the output block so that you don't have any other blocks in your signal path, particularly a mono block like an amp, interfering with the stereo output of your external music source. You also have the option of using a couple of sends as well.

Is it me or does it seem like Line 6 has put L6 Link on the back burner in regards to the Helix? Or is provide a signal all it was supposed to do?

Backburner? At one point I woulda appreciated the fact that it made it onto the stove that far.  No, L6-Link for Helix (the midi control part that worked well in the HD series) is DEAD as far as I'm concerned. Go ahead Line-6 and prove me wrong (without reverting to yer high-pitched nasally voice repeating over and over "it wasn't designed for Helix")....  More pessimism? Yea (nod's head)...., that's right.   :P

It's worked fine for me with my L2t and L2m when I connect through L6 link into the L2t then l6 Link from there to the L2m.

What kind of cables are you using?  Are they AES/EBU 110 Ohm?  In some cases this is really important.  Sometimes XLR doesn't cut it.

He said this a long time ago (pre-release I believe), but I'm pretty sure that DI has said that midi control of the DT amps would be really hard, and other stuff has priority over it.  Not impossible, but, not yet, if ever.

Personally, I wouldn't make any premature conclusions. Helix has only reached its level 2.x firmware. Give it a bit more time to see what firmware 3.0 brings later this year. I've been hoping that the Helix L6 jack may (in the future) support Yamaha's DXR Spkrs L6 jacks. Time will tell....