Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

setting a solo patch/boost Im lost

lumper

UPDATE:

I just read the manual for the Spider V and the pre sets, the very first two pre sets say right in their notes what settings they used, they both say, function 1 for volume boost for solo, I press function 1 while in those patches and I get compressor on/off

Either the person who owned the board before me reassigned the midi function? or the solo, vol boost on the spider V is simply turning on the compressor? is that possible?

Hi,

Does anyone know how to set a function on the mkII shortboard to solo boost?

Just got the Spider V 240 HC

On my Spider IV FBV MKII shortboard solo patch was just there, I never set it, just how it was.

I bought a FBV MKII Shortboard again but this one has usb to pc where my other one does not.

When I use this new pedal board with my Spider V, the function 1 button turns on /off the compressor by default, the function 2 records a loop and then allows overdubbing.

I want to change these, Function 1 to a solo boost, and function 2 to engage wah pedal.

Most importantly though, right now, I just would like to figure out how to set the solo boost to function 1.

I downloaded Monkey, updated everything, downloaded the FBV control software, and control for the Spider V.

I do not see anywhere in either program solo boost, or solo patch or anything that would indicate a db boost for solos.

Does anyone know how to program this?

I could really use the lesson, this is the part that always scares me from dig pre amps and modelers but I always figure it out, usually with some help,

Please help.

I know I Can make a duplicate patch and make it louder and waste a bank doing it that way, but I dont want to do it that way, I want to use it as it was meant to be used, leaving me my 4 banks within a channel open for me and the solo boost on the function button.

Thanks

Matt

Also, I think I am just confused with things and what I would really like to have is someone explain to me step by step to set this up for the first time what would you do?

Using the Spider V 24HC and the FBV MKII with usb, 

you have a laptop only and the "remote" software for the amp and the FBV software "Control"

after updating with "Monkey" what now?

Do I connect only the pedalboard to the usb and pc and open the fbv remote software, If so then what?

OR

Do I connect the FBV MKII to the amp with the cat 5 cable and connect the amp to the laptop with the usb from the spider V and use the "remote" software?

OR

Do I connect them both, the amp and the board to the laptop at the same time while they are connected to each other, and use both remote and control together?

All I want to do is see where in the patch I made is the "boost" so I can assign it to the function 1 switch on the amp, seems simple, but Im lost.

Ive done it every which way  I cant find a boost in the remote or control software.

I dont see anything in the remote program about the board at all other than is asking me if I want to assign an fx to the expression pedal when I double click on that fx in the program.

Any help would be awesome.

As you can see on the remote app, FS1 is always a compressor.  And normally I believe it will not boost anything unless you dial in some gain on it and save it that way (I may be wrong about that, bc I don't really use the pre-sets and I am slowly replacing them all with my own tones). 

So from what I know about the Spider is that there is no "boost" for solos programmed into every pre-set patch.  I agree that the pre-set manual from Line 6 should not be calling "compressor" a "boost"

I think the simplest solution would be to try using the FS1 compressor as a boost for solos.  This wont work of course if you are already using compressor for rhythm.

You can also make your own patch and change one of the fx stomps to the boost/EQ pedal.. which should provide some clean boost... just not on FS1

FS2,FS3, and FS4 can all be reconfigured with any of the available FX pedals.  FS1 is dedicated  Comp and FS5 is dedicated verb.

If it really needs to be FS1, you may be able to play around with the "Line 6 FVB Control" program on your PC. I just checked it out with my Macbook/ USB cable directly to the FBV3.  

You may be able to change the function of FS1.   Personally I am staying away from that, as it looks a little confusing, and I feel like I could be a mouse-click away from toasting my FBV3... And I can't gig this amp without that.

Thanks, I may have not been real clear as I am struggling to stay focused, lol.

I am not using any pre sets, at all, not 1, I made my own patches.

and as far as the boost/comp thing I meant function 1 on the FBV MKII pedal board, not the fs1 , there is a function 1 and a function 2, function 2 is set to record and loop, 1 is set to turn off comp.

Now the same board FBV MKII on the spider IV says function 1 is boost, in the manual and on the amp.

What threw me was my Spider V pre set manual says in the very first pre set, that function 1 is set to vol boost for solo, which is why I am searching so hard, they said it right in the manual for the V.

Now I know I can set the three F switches to what I want, 2,3, and 4, and reverb is 5 and comp is 1, I get that.

Im talking about above those, the function switch.

Also, I can use the comp as a boost if I have too, I dont use it in my patches, I am just trying to use the board the way it was meant to be used.

See when I solo, often I will add a little delay or chorus, nad sometimes a wah.

To do that with this boad, I am goign to have to hit Function 1 for comp on and use that as a boost, then hit fs3 for delay or chorus and fs4 for the other, but I also want to assign one to turn on and off the wah pedal, so maybe fs2 wah on / off, fs3 chorus, fs4 delay fs5 reverb, when soloing.

Otherwise I am only using an amp, and maybe a little distortion, I shut off cab modeler and I am using my Mesa 4x12, it sounds really good, I am getting very close to the sound I want, it sounds like a tube amp nearly out of control, throaty and tight low end, percussive, yet grungy and dark, not fuzzy though or loose, and the mids and highs are in check, so when I solo from that it is a little dry, and the chorus, and or delay will thicken and wet it up a bit, then the wah for those times when I want it to scream a little.

The pre sets on this thing are God awful, But I bought it knowing that, and my plan from before I ever bought it was simply to have options, I want to be able to try every amp, and every combo of cab, and mic that I can until I dial in a really good tone, so far so good.

It is just a bit combersome with these controls, the Spider IV had better overall control from what I can tell, and that is disappointing.

The documentation for the FBV MKII is terrible, it has one tiny paragraph about the spider then it goes on and on and on about the pod and a few others and then all sort of other midi things, but not one clean example of how to actually program anything in the board through the control or remote software that is useful and no answer at all to how to assign a boost.

I downloaded the software for the amp and the pedal, the pedal is a midi controller and it has the layout on it, but no boost to assign, so I am a little scared to start messing with it and screw it up.

I started a ticket with Line 6 and I hope to get a few answers from techs that work there and no why they did what they di and what is intended to do what.

I find it hard to believe they would go backwards with this unit and exclude such a basic function as solo boost, it makes no sense, I want to hear from someone who designed or built these boards.

Thanks for reading my issue and trying to help, I seriously appreciate that man, thanks

Matt

• 3 years later...

.Seriously ... Line 6 has some incredible products ... but they really fall flat in explaining in a tutorial how to do things and how to get a desired effect.  This 'boost' situation is one area where they talk about a boost, but give very little if any guidance on how to achieve it.  If you hear back from your ticket, please post.  Thanks

On 7/11/2021 at 9:32 AM, tessememucho said:

.Seriously ... Line 6 has some incredible products ... but they really fall flat in explaining in a tutorial how to do things and how to get a desired effect.  This 'boost' situation is one area where they talk about a boost, but give very little if any guidance on how to achieve it.  If you hear back from your ticket, please post.  Thanks

Because there are so many possible ways to configure a modeling amp with effects, it's really up to you to experiment to get the sounds you're trying to create. As far a boost goes, there is  an effect called "Boost and Eq" which you can move to the end of your signal chain to increase volume. I use it all the time as a boost, or to equalize volumes between presets. Check it out. If you're not using the Spider V Remote app, I recommend it- it will make creating a signal chain much easier.

19 hours ago, gtrman100 said:

... As far a boost goes, there is  an effect called "Boost and Eq" which you can move to the end of your signal chain to increase volume. I use it all the time as a boost, or to equalize volumes between presets. Check it out. If you're not using the Spider V Remote app, I recommend it- it will make creating a signal chain much easier.

Great post here from GTRman100.  And, yes, using the Remote app is night and day in ease.  Without it, the real power of the amp's configurability and presets is still bottled up.