Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

When We Get Firmware Update?

terraplane

OMG... I would hope there is another update to at least fix:

1) The HD500Edit issue of not being able to save the effect(s) 'Tempo' to the unit.

2) The funky weird ways they've done the EQ's.

They should use industry standard dB levels and Frequency (Hz) across all EQ's and get rid of the silly "percent".

shows the nutty settings used in the various EQ's. I'll bet different groups did different EQ hence the lack of unity.

I think it's interesting that, when convenient, the X is either "not a new model, just an update", or "a new model".

I'm not one to run to the rescue of the Experts here, but even I see that as splitting hairs. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) all he was trying to say is that it is a show of continued support for the HD line. He also dangled the carrot that there are updates on the way. At least that's what I read from it. YMMV.

I'm not one to run to the rescue of the Experts here, but even I see that as splitting hairs. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) all he was trying to say is that it is a show of continued support for the HD line. He also dangled the carrot that there are updates on the way. At least that's what I read from it. YMMV.

Carrot-dangling is what I'm criticizing here. Unless the Experts have concrete information to convey to us, such as an update release date or a list of expected changes, they shouldn't bother doing this. I've expressed my satisfaction in response to the news that X updates will roll out to legacy owners like me, but firstly, there is no guarantee they won't run into issues and backpedal on that, and secondly, there is no timeline whatsoever. The update could come tomorrow, or it could come in 2015, or it could never come because L6 will decide to take all their developers off the HD500 and have them focus entirely on the next gen that is surely already in development. That will probably be decided by the X's sales figures. If nobody buys this thing, why would they bother updating it?

first of all... no intentional carrot dangling... feel free to read into it whatever you like though....

all of the experts have non-disclosure agreements, and we couldn't tell you anything whether we know it or not.

(some things we know, alot we don't... but we've all been around long enough to fill in some gaps ourselves)

i'm positive they are not expecting huge sales numbers on the X model... because they do realize that it's not enough of an upgrade to persuade many current 500 owners...

so the future of the HD development likely has little to nothing to do with X sales.

Carrot-dangling is what I'm criticizing here. Unless the Experts have concrete information to convey11 to us, such as an update release date or a list of expected changes, 

Carrot-dangling is what I'm criticizing here. Unless the Experts have concrete information to convey to us, such as an update release date or a list of expected changes, they shouldn't bother doing this. I've expressed my satisfaction in response to the news that X updates will roll out to legacy owners like me, but firstly, there is no guarantee they won't run into issues and backpedal on that, and secondly, there is no timeline whatsoever. The update could come tomorrow, or it could come in 2015, or it could never come because L6 will decide to take all their developers off the HD500 and have them focus entirely on the next gen that is surely already in development. That will probably be decided by the X's sales figures. If nobody buys this thing, why would they bother updating it?

When I'm stuck in the "no mans land" that is the L6 information cycle, I will take a small morsel of a carrot over nothing. I also don't really care, as my 500 does everything I need for my gigs. A few vids of my tone can be seen at www.youtube.com/user/JDandtheHangovers

I'm quite happy with my tone and new amps would just make me start over lol. If you watch them, forgive my drunken singing please. I'm the guy with the red LP.

i'm positive they are not expecting huge sales numbers on the X model... because they do realize that it's not enough of an upgrade to persuade many current 500 owners...

so the future of the HD development likely has little to nothing to do with X sales.

Well that may be so but they sure are hyping the X http://line6.com/podhd500x/ like they are expecting huge sales numbers... 

Nothing wrong with that of course, just saying that from the website they seem to see it a bit different than what you are saying....

a marketing department is gonna do... what a marketing department does :)

they no doubt list the sonic port as the second coming as well... 

Well that may be so but they sure are hyping the X http://line6.com/podhd500x/ like they are expecting huge sales numbers... 

Nothing wrong with that of course, just saying that from the website they seem to see it a bit different than what you are saying....

• 3 weeks later...

The marketing dept for most organizations would sell a polished up turd if they could save on the gold paint, but it doesn't mean they know anything. And they don't have to as long as it sells.. ; P

At this point I don't care if they give me an EQ that uses Hz and Db anymore.  Unless it's like a Global EQ that doesn't eat up any of the available slots.  I already gave up and bought an external EQ some time ago.

It's still hard to believe how they did the EQs...  It's almost like they were playing a joke on us.  I remember trying out all the differant EQs saying to myself "Ok, the normal one's gott'a be in here somewhere".

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I hope there is a new update, hopefully with an orange amp model, diezel vh4 model or peavy 5150 model or something, of course with matching cabs. And with perhaps a ts9 tube screamer, more deep EQ capabilities. also it would be very interesting if they could perhaps make the chain signal, well, adjustable as opposed to fixed, e.g. run what you like, but still only limit it to four things in the chain....yes, I am a very hopefully and idealistic HD300 user :D

At this point I don't care if they give me an EQ that uses Hz and Db anymore.  Unless it's like a Global EQ that doesn't eat up any of the available slots.  I already gave up and bought an external EQ some time ago.

It's still hard to believe how they did the EQs...  It's almost like they were playing a joke on us.  I remember trying out all the differant EQs saying to myself "Ok, the normal one's gott'a be in here somewhere".

Now that is F U N N Y !! :D  Why didn't I think of that?

Despite all our hopes of catching a leprechaun, I'll take what they give us. And as stated previously by a semi-satisfied user, I can get decent, happy sounds from my HD500... in fact I've been getting them from every box I've had... even my old Zoom 505 two-button pedal (the black one).

I'm not going to lie; A year's fast approaching, and I'm jonsin' for an update! If anyone here's like me, they're checking this forum every couple a days, if not at least once a week hoping to see something. They're obviously still supporting the platform, so something's coming, but my G.A.S./A.D.D. is starting to get to me. :P

I'm not going to lie; A year's fast approaching, and I'm jonsin' for an update! If anyone here's like me, they're checking this forum every couple a days, if not at least once a week hoping to see something. They're obviously still supporting the platform, so something's coming, but my G.A.S./A.D.D. is starting to get to me. :P

i'm keeping a look out but i don't hold much hope for an update, :(  i'm sad to say. i think if there is one, it's gonna be a biggie.  :rolleyes:

I'm guessing there has to be one update coming soon since they still need implement the ability to allow a JTV Variax with the new firmware upgrade to access Workbench through the HD500.  Whether that will include any other goodies who knows but I'm not sure I'd get too excited about a new update since the JTV thing may be the only thing it includes.  Not that I know ANYTHING but I'm just sayin'.

Next week? Sure - might as well get that totally unfounded rumour going. Now that JTV 2.0 is out, what other reason could there be for checking the Downloads page twice a day? I hope to see lots of people posting to express their disappointment that we don't have the phantom update already, culminating in a threatened lawsuit for not living up to unannounced promises. Let the usual games begin! :lol: