Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Podhd500x Into Tube Amp Effects Loop As Pedalboard...

Stratman82

I'm in the process of simplifying my rig by phasing out my DT25 which, for all its versatility, adds too many layers of complexity when switching between playing situations.

I plan to use my podHD500x in two situations 1) Standalone for nighttime playing via headphones. 2) As a pedalboard (effects only, amp sims off) into the effects loop of a non-Line 6 tube amp.

I'm not entirely clear how the podHD works in situation 2, particularly in terms of effects pedal "placement" within the chain....

As delay, chorus, reverb and suchlike are usually placed after the preamp, placing them in the effects loop makes sense and they should all work as per normal. Agreed?

However, what about distortion and boost pedal models?? These normally run in front of the amp so how well would they work in the effects loop?

I'd ideally use the podHD for all effects rather than a seperate standalone OD pedal between guitar and amp.

Welcome to the 4 cable method.  In order to place your effects where they will do what they were intended to do you will need to use this method.  If you don't already know it:

Guitar >--< POD Guitar In / POD FX Send <--> Amp In / Amp FX Send <--> POD FX Return /  POD Out <--> Amp FX Return.  

(if your amp has a stereo FX loop, use TRS cables from the amp back to the POD and back to the amp again so you can use stereo FX blocks)

This will allow you to put the effects you want before hitting the amp and the delays, reverbs, etc in the FX loop.  You will need to set send/return levels to optimize but that is a one time deal. Google "pedal order" and there are tons of sites with hints and info for pedal placement. in general:

• Pedals that amplify or add noise should go near the beginning of the signal path. This includes overdrive/distortion effects, compressors, and wah pedals. If they’re later in the signal path, they will amplify the noise of everything before them, which can be difficult to control.
  • Pedals that produce tone go before things that modify tone. This is logical, because you want to create your basic sound first, then tweak it with some kind of modifying effect. For example, this means that overdrives go before chorus effects.
  • Pedals that create ambience go last. This goes back to the “how does sound actually occur in physical space†idea. So, delay and reverb should go after all other effects.

In the end, there are no "rules", have fun with it...  if it sounds good, play it!

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the 4 cable method.  In order to place your effects where they will do what they were intended to do you will need to use this method.  If you don't already know it:

Guitar >--< POD Guitar In / POD FX Send <--> Amp In / Amp FX Send <--> POD FX Return /  POD Out <--> Amp FX Return.  

(if your amp has a stereo FX loop, use TRS cables from the amp back to the POD and back to the amp again so you can use stereo FX blocks)

This will allow you to put the effects you want before hitting the amp and the delays, reverbs, etc in the FX loop.  You will need to set send/return levels to optimize but that is a one time deal. Google "pedal order" and there are tons of sites with hints and info for pedal placement. in general:

• Pedals that amplify or add noise should go near the beginning of the signal path. This includes overdrive/distortion effects, compressors, and wah pedals. If they’re later in the signal path, they will amplify the noise of everything before them, which can be difficult to control.
  • Pedals that produce tone go before things that modify tone. This is logical, because you want to create your basic sound first, then tweak it with some kind of modifying effect. For example, this means that overdrives go before chorus effects.
  • Pedals that create ambience go last. This goes back to the “how does sound actually occur in physical space†idea. So, delay and reverb should go after all other effects.
In the end, there are no "rules", have fun with it...  if it sounds good, play it!

Cheers, thought that was the case but needed to check. I'll prob just use the ambience type effects in the loop anyway as I tend to prefer amp distortion over pedals.