Photo

M20d Simultaneous Playback Of Stereo Pair And Record Of 16 Ins To Sd Card Or Drive?

sd card playback/record

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gene100

Gene100

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Hi, everyone

I am considering purchasing a M20d but have a question:

Q) Is it possible to playback a stereo pair from a usb stick (for example backing tracks) while recording to a drive or SD card?

Q) Is there a window in the M20d which could show contents of a folder containing the various backing tracks where i can select from it at a gig?

Amongst other things I perform solo in pubs etc using backing tracks. I can go through 30 or so in a session.

Is it possible to easily select the tracks from a window in the M20d?

Are there any plans to produce a larger input version or can existing M20d units be linked?

Thanks everyone!

Gene

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

...I am considering purchasing a M20d but have a question:

Q) Is it possible to playback a stereo pair from a usb stick (for example backing tracks) while recording to a drive or SD card?

Q) Is there a window in the M20d which could show contents of a folder containing the various backing tracks where i can select from it at a gig?

Amongst other things I perform solo in pubs etc using backing tracks. I can go through 30 or so in a session...

Ignoring the specifics of M20d technology, Gene...

...My first thought would be that human "multitasking" to the extent of trying to do all of that from any small, single screen during a live performance smacks of an "extreme sport" rather than a musical event. :)

To my mind, the StageScape concept is devoted to the clear (yet compact) M20d screen presenting the gigging player/s with a clear "real-time picture" of (and instant access for the purpose of modifying) what's happening "live", at any (and every) given moment of performance. 

Accordingly, it seems to me that the use of portable media in our M20d is intended to EITHER

1. Record our (relatively) "raw" inputs for practice and/or later re-mix, ...OR...
  2. Replay a relatively small number of selections for sound-check and/or "play along" applications. 

So I'd be very surprised to find myself alone in heartily recommending our use of a separate and easily operable player (let's say, for example, via the "Aux In") to provide that "instant" access to backing tracks.

Doing so would not only allow us to potentially devote all of our "track space" to incoming material, but also streamline operation in terms of limiting our ongoing attention to just the performance "elements", (including the timing and selection of backing tracks) having only needed to initiate the M20d's multitrack recording at the start of "our session".

...Are there any plans to produce a larger input version or can existing M20d units be linked?...

I'm not aware of Line 6's intentions in terms of (maybe) considering something like an M40d, but you may find this discussion interesting:

http://line6.com/sup...m20d-in-series/

#3 Gene100

Gene100

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hi Ron,

You see my current setup is this for my solo show:

I use a Roland VS 1680 multitrack as my desk for my solo show. It is fairly old now but I have used it flawlessly for many many years in the following way:

I record all my backing tracks to the internal hard drive. Using the 8 banks of 8 locate points I can recall any one of 64 backing tracks for playback through a stereo pair routed to main out L/R. This  FOH mix is carried through a stereo  buss with a compressor/EQ/gate inserted. Results in a very quiet hiss free PA.

I run my Vox and acoustic through an input channel each with sends to reverb and delay to main mix buss. My electric guitar runs into a Hi Z input direct. Inserted on this input is an insert loaded with COSM based amp sims running on SMPTE. Therefore........ my electric guitar patches change with the time code in live performance from the automix facility in the mixer. I program it at home and place the channel in read mode during performance. Works a dream, clean sound one minute then changes to a overdrive with delay the next over automation. I do same with all fx and can connect to a sequencer and run the light show via MIDI again in line with the SMPTE code.

All I have to worry about is being in tune and think about which song I wanna do next the automix does the rest. So it is not an 'extreme sport' as the work is done at home. Otherwise you would be right!!! LOL

I like the M20d and have seen few posts up where others are thinking of using the units media player to create a playlist to playback their tracks same way i do for live performance too. I have seen some videos since my posting this on you Tube and think it is possible.

I know it will not have the flexibility of my existing system but I want to be able to record the show in Multitrack  WAV format for immediate import to ProTools via media or drive. The only way to get the data from the VS1680's own multitrack outs into PT is to do a real-time record pass into PT. Not ideal as my solo shows range between 2 & 1/2 to 3 hours duration. This is why i am considering the M20d :)

I wonder can the playback from the media player be routed to a channel and recorded with the other inputs sources to a SD card or Firewire out?

The M20d has great features......... like it :)

#4 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

How about this idea:

You record the multitrack to SD card on the m20d, but don't record the prerecorded media tracks, 

then when you go into protools, import both the m20d tracks and the prerecorded tracks, then just align them in protools, or any other modern DAW.

You should even be able to hear some bleed in a mic track giving you a cue to line the prerecorded track to match to..

Yes, if you could just re-record the media tracks along with the live stuff, that would save a number of steps, I'm guessing the m20d can't do that..

Hm, hang on though, the m20d says it will record your stereo mix along with the inputs (if selected etc..) so that "should" include your prerecorded media track as well, an even easier cue to line up to..

#5 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

just plug in your Roland VS 1680 multitrack to the m20d and wah la there you have it.....   or

I have a BR1600 CD and I assume it is sort of similar since the same folks make both you must have a way to export the individual tracks of each song to your comp. and import them to pro tools, mix, bounce  it to a mp3 put it on a iPod or something like it, plug it in the m20d's 1/8" jack, then you will need some kind of guitar FX unit like (COSM FX are good but can't touch) the Avid Eleven Rack w/ a foot controller, plugged into the M20D then do your thing.

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#6 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

just plug in your Roland VS 1680 multitrack to the m20d and wah la there you have it..... 

That'd be what I'd do.

You could also then choose to "duplicate" (to M20d multitrack) only whichever VS 1680 tracks you feel would be most useful, by taking the relevant one (or ones) from its individual RCA outputs into an M20d line input (or inputs).   

From a live performance standpoint, I think it would surely beat "re-inventing the wheel" ! 

#7 Gene100

Gene100

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:19 AM

Hi Guys,

Yes that would work. Lining up the Backing track with the timeline would be easy as all the backers start with a hi hat count in to cue 'ME' !!

So that shows up very easily in the waveform for aligning.

Yeah, there are a few ways to do it.

Perhaps using an iPad on a small stand running into a M20d would be the easiest way.......larger screen etc...  Must look into that. 

Thanks fellas,

Eugene

#8 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Alternately if you use Airport Express to connect to your iPad you can play files stored in your iPad through the mixer and controlled from your iPad playback app.

#9 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

...Perhaps using an iPad on a small stand running into a M20d would be the easiest way.......larger screen etc...  Must look into that...

Alternately if you use Airport Express to connect to your iPad you can play files stored in your iPad through the mixer and controlled from your iPad playback app.

I'm using a really rugged and secure Crane Stand Pro so I remain upright whenever I'm typing things such as this, Eugene...

...as well as for my MacBook Pro "on the road". Have done for nearly three years now.

Those same folks make this ingenious device http://www.cranehard.../products_id/60 that allows any tablet (like an iPad) to "share" a mic stand.

http://www.amazon.co...K/dp/B00CDYH07C

a54dzs1154ca3-tbt-03-320x320.png

#10 SiWatts69

SiWatts69

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSouth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

K&M also do an iPad holder for mic stands.

K&M model 19722

http://www.thomann.d...adhalterung.htm

#11 Gene100

Gene100

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

That stand looks very good to me!!!

Thanks Guys. 

I'm reading up  on the M20d...... looks very good indeed........ :)

#12 Gene100

Gene100

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hi all,

Is it possible to record to the SD card and output to record into a DAW at the same time? This would give a backup.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

#13 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

I think no..

I was trying out USB "streaming" to my laptop running Logic (DAW) and had an SD card installed. The unit told me I can not access the SD card while the USB streaming was on, when I selected the SD card media icon to take a look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users