Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problem Upgrading To Ver 1.9

Hey All,

I bought a JTV 59 a week ago.  Plays fine, no issues.  Firmware as received is 1.71.  So I run Monkkey andf it tells me the latest version is now 1.9.  Do the firmware upgrade and it fails with a messager saying Code (80009000) unknown MIDI error.

Spent 30 minutes on the phone with Line 6 tech support (very friendly).  Swapped cables, USB ports, etc.... no use.

Suggested that I return to Line 6 for repair (2-3 weeks turnaround time).  I was able to roll it back to 1.71.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any suggestions.

Best Regards, Mike

I tried several times, with Workbench, with Pod HD500, downloading the .vxf file directly from the web site and loading it with the monkey, downloading it through the monkey, different computers...
In total, 8 different ways, and honestly, I don't remember which one was the one that worked for me.
BTW, the battery needs to be charged. The VDI connection to the workbench doesn't power the variax

From memory, I think it is important that a cable is plugged into the 1/4" output jack on the guitar as well as the VDI cable (it can be attached to nothing at the other end of the 1/4" cable).

• Downvote 1

PROBLEM SOLVED!

With appearently no other option except sending the guitar to Line 6 for repair or returning it to Guiar Center, I had one more thought. 

I plugged the guitar into my HD500 via the VDI cable and the HD500 into the computer via USB.  I ran L6 Monkey and both (HD-500 and JTV59) showed up!.  I ran the installer for ver 1.9 and .... what do you know, it worked.

Thanks for everyone comments and help.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same problem (unknown MIDI error).  The Variax USB box kept losing its connection to my JTV59 as in the middle of firmware updating, the Variax side of the box lit up red (and the software kept repeating "reconnecting to device").  I have no idea why as nothing changed.  I had to repeat the update process 3 times before it completed successfully.  The only thing I can think of is that I was using a USB input on the front of my desktop tower and the install instructions recommend using a rear panel USB input.

• Upvote 2

I had this same problem (unknown MIDI error).  The Variax USB box kept losing its connection to my JTV59 as in the middle of firmware updating, the Variax side of the box lit up red (and the software kept repeating "reconnecting to device").  I have no idea why as nothing changed.  I had to repeat the update process 3 times before it completed successfully.  The only thing I can think of is that I was using a USB input on the front of my desktop tower and the install instructions recommend using a rear panel USB input.

I suspect the interface box pushes the limit for USB current draw.  So, using a motherboard connector and a short cable is probably a good idea.  In your case it sounds like things were right on the edge.

I have the 2 USB interfaces that came with my 59, then my 69S a year later -- I've never used them. The HD500 and the X3L and XTL before that have been the only way for me, as the VDI cable route is the way I've been going since my Variax 300 & XTL in 2005. I have always used the front USB ports on the home-built pc's I've had. I've been lucky, I guess from reports on the forums.... Seems to come up a lot.

The VDI interface was what pushed me towards the HD500. It's a shame they don't have it on the 300 & 400. Many would benefit from it, if they don't want the complexity of the 500.... The Floor POD was the only choice for a floor based simpler pedal -- did/does not have the VDI and was quite a price point lower than the XTL and X3L. For non-Variax users, they have the choice of the 300, 400, or 500, depending on their needs. For JTV users, the only real choice is the 500 or the Pro to make use of the power, model switching, and the control options with the JTV's. I'm definitely in that camp....

Dave

• 1 month later...

The only thing I can think of is that I was using a USB input on the front of my desktop tower and the install instructions recommend using a rear panel USB input.

same problem here, and as soon as i moved the the USB to a different port the update went through fine :)

I had this problem as well, but it seems like it's fine now.

I tried downgrading and upgrading back to the latest firmware on my guitar, but it gave me an error when the process was done. I unplugged it and plugged it back in to the power and apparently it did update and the firmware is the latest now. I don't know what happened. I rather not try again so I don't accidentally brick my guitar.

The VDI cable my Variax came with is kind of sketchy as if I pull it out as much as I can without pushing the latch off, it will still loose connection to the Workbench interface.

I had this problem as well, but it seems like it's fine now.

I tried downgrading and upgrading back to the latest firmware on my guitar, but it gave me an error when the process was done. I unplugged it and plugged it back in to the power and apparently it did update and the firmware is the latest now. I don't know what happened. I rather not try again so I don't accidentally brick my guitar.

The VDI cable my Variax came with is kind of sketchy as if I pull it out as much as I can without pushing the latch off, it will still loose connection to the Workbench interface.

Be careful to check the models of your 1.9 upgraded Variax if you got some error in the process. I had a similar experience as you, where the upgrade resultet in an error. The JT-89F seemingly worked after unplugging/plugging in and reported 1.9 to Line 6 Monley. However, I found some of the models totally wrecked (the 89-specific high gain models were 30dB down and one special guitar had the tuning and mic placement all over the place). I attempted a few more upgrades and finally it went through (and all models were restored). I suspect a VDI cable or connector problem on my behalf.

Be careful to check the models of your 1.9 upgraded Variax if you got some error in the process. I had a similar experience as you, where the upgrade resultet in an error. The JT-89F seemingly worked after unplugging/plugging in and reported 1.9 to Line 6 Monley. However, I found some of the models totally wrecked (the 89-specific high gain models were 30dB down and one special guitar had the tuning and mic placement all over the place). I attempted a few more upgrades and finally it went through (and all models were restored). I suspect a VDI cable or connector problem on my behalf.

I actually have an old 600 Variax, but I did get the error you guys were talking about.

My G string likes to warble on alt tunings and someone suggested it was a firmware error and to downgrade and upgrade again. Didn't solve the problem, but at least the guitar still works. The warbling isn't too bad anyways, just on some models.

I've got the 59P and got the same error. The instrument selector know went off and the tone knob turned red. Took the battery out and did it again, second time worked. The only annoying thing was that Monkey thought I hadn't registered my guitar, which I have done.

This is a an updated version of the Flash update procedure for JTV's,.... this is now out-of-date. Our guitar/DSP person has informed me there is an update to my update. So I've removed the PDF that was here, to avoid any confusion or redundancy.

-PBS