#21 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:10 AM

so let me try to understand these graphs. you use the to set the output level of the frequencies so they are all at the same level, mainly for recording. if this is even close to correct, please just answer with a simple yes or no because i couldn't comprehend more than that. :wacko: 

I'M SO HAPPY!

#22 pfsmith0

pfsmith0

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hi toneman, I would answer with a simple yes/no but I don't understand your statement "you use the to set the output..." I think a very important word is left out between "the" and "to". Would you please repeat the question?

#23 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

these

I'M SO HAPPY!

#24 pfsmith0

pfsmith0

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Yes, that is one of the uses for this information.

#25 Vettacon

Vettacon

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

The info presented, which is excellent, begs the question: Did Line 6 do this just to mess with users? Why reinvent the wheel with basic eq principles at the expense of confusing/frustrating users more? it appears little narcissistic on their part.

Thanks again to those putting the time in to de- code.

#26 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

it appears little narcissistic on their part.

Thanks again to those putting the time in to de- code.

I have to agree, i  find very hard to believe that they couldn't provide that in the PC/Mac Editor at least and not on the hardware itselt. It would have probably taken them minutes. Considering all the routing options in POD FARM/XT/X3 that seemed extremely intelligent and well though out, as much as I like the HD modeling, the image of Line 6 intelligent design was completely shattered when the EQ is still in Percent after three years of release!

#27 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:07 AM

the image of Line 6 intelligent design was completely shattered when the EQ is still in Percent after three years of release!

That, and the utter lack of overload indication in the signal chain. 

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990) w/ GK-3 Hex PU

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

QSC K10 FRFR

#28 unperfectcircle

unperfectcircle

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Thanks a lot for sharing your efforts!

I try to avoid internal EQs because I don't really like the way they color the tone, but that's some great info here!

#29 malexand20

malexand20

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

I recently purchased an HD-500 and I'm still in the learning stages. In trying to reproduce some of my favorite X3 live tones I need to use EQ. Last night I became very frustrated with the lack of Line 6 documentation for EQ parameters and responses; the "trial and error" method was really trying my patience. Needless to say, your documentation plus MeAmBobbo's website (which is great!) posting is like a breath of fresh air! I agree with Astroth_CY's comment - Line 6 should be paying you for doing their work. 

Line 6: Great products MINUS adequate documentation = mediocre service! Invest in the time to better help your customer base, most of us don't hold degrees in sound engineering. P.S. Still like your products. 

#30 meambobbo

meambobbo

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

the use for the EQ graphs is to be able to anticipate the effect it will have on your tone.  the narrow frequency bands that move opposite to how one would anticipate are very useful to be aware of.  Trying to use the EQ's and getting less-than-satisfactory results may be due to some of these quirks.  Maybe there's an alternative EQ, or maybe there's a better way to go about it.  For example, rather than using the high and low parameters of the Parametric EQ to cut lows and highs, you're likely to get better results using the Mid-Focus EQ in only one channel, mixing to approximate how much of a midrange boost you want, without completely chopping off highs and lows.

Pod HD Tone Guide and Patches

#31 HDProJohn

HDProJohn

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

For example, rather than using the high and low parameters of the Parametric EQ to cut lows and highs, you're likely to get better results using the Mid-Focus EQ in only one channel, mixing to approximate how much of a midrange boost you want, without completely chopping off highs and lows.

The use of the Mid-Focus EQ after the amp modeling instantly turned my tone's suck knob way down. I forgot if it was you, meambobbo, or someone else who had first brought its use up, but that trick alone saved my sanity and ears. The IRs are extremely fizzy and harsh in the high end.

#32 lilguitar

lilguitar

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Quality work man, this is so much better than the hunt and peck or trial by error approach that we've be subjected to, allowing  us a peek behind a curtain that should never had existed.

And props to you for all the time you invested in this lil research project, but even bigger props for sharing with the community! 

#33 wasbeerik

wasbeerik

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

THNX!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hd500, eq, frequency, response, graphs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users