Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hey everyone I have a mystery that is a potential problem!!!!! I have recently got into line6 gear, (I have dove into IT!) :D It is MORE than I ever thought it would be. Having said that I will get to my worry!! I bought a Spider IV 150combo.. Then I bought the FVB shortboard MKII. of course I had to have the "extension pedal",. finally on a whim I bought a line6 4x12 stereo cab. with a max. WATTS of 150w each channel.  Here is where I get concerned... The combo has a "L" and a "R" channel OUT PUT, (both say 8 OHMS), just as the cab. has a "R" and "L" input.... The "L" channel of the cab. says, "USE LEFT JACK IN MONO"..(4OHMS)      NOW when I plug 2 mono speaker cables into said cab. inputs, the combo speakers turn OFF but the cab. works fine.  NOW if I plug in just one mono cable to the cab's left only "4 ohms" jack, BOTH the cab. and combo. speakers work and SEEM to be in STEREO as well, even when I'm jamming along with my ipod connected in this configuration.... My WORRY is the AMP. is getting VERY HOT!!!! I have some long hours, playing METAL at High VOLUMES, w/o incident.... IS THIS JUST DUMB LUCK I HAVEN'T BLOWN MY AMP UP!?!?!?!?!? Would 1or 2 TRS speaker cables help out, or am I just asking too much from it??? AS far as I can tell the combo shout be able to run a FULL STACK just like the "150HD"-head...? right? their the same amp for all practical purposes.... right??? Any way being a "NOOBY" to this wonderful line6 world, I sure could use a LOT of help in different configurations-allowable!!!!  And advice on ANYTHING ELSE I should know.. e.g., U-TUBE sites, downloads, exc...  Thank YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY INFO. AND HELP!!!!!!!!!!    tonnie   :wacko:  :blink:  :huh:  :o  :ph34r:  B)   :wub:  :unsure: ?

If you only have the L from the amp plugged into the cabinet, then the left channel is going through the cabinet and the right channel thorugh the right speaker in the combo amp.  If the left speaker in the combo is working too, then something's not right and you are overloading the amp due to the combined impedances, 

Thanks!!!!!, I was thinking the same thing! Do you think 2 TRS stereo speaker cables would balance out the impedance load, allowing for all 6 speakers to work w/o burning up my amp? Thanks again!!! ................... Tonnie

No, TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) cables won't do you any good.  When you plug into the speaker output jacks on the combo amp, the internal speakers are automatically cut out of the circuit.  The amp needs to see 8 ohm (or higher) impedance on each channel.   If you hook up two 8-ohm speakers in series, that will give you a 16-ohm load, which will work, but reduce the amount of power (and hence volume) each speaker will see.  If you hook them up in parallel, then the amp will be seeing a 4 ohm load which could damage it by overdirving the circuits.