25 replies to this topic

#21 friscocat

friscocat

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

your understanding is not wrong... but the reason it does that is because the shaft opening in the plastic knob is too deep... so pushing the knob doesnt work since the knob is already touching the body of the guitar...

many users simply wad up a bit of paper like a straw wrapper or whatnot and stick it under the knob... problem solved...

(i'd still call and ask for a replacement knob, as it makes sense to do so...)

most of the frustration you read on here is people assuming the worst as they work to the root of the issue.

you have valid concerns, i'm just trying to add to your knowledge.

If this is true then that will alleviate my concerns about the selector knobs.  You should make a "sticky" thread for this topic here on this site.

Thanks again.  This is very helpful.

#22 ur2funky

ur2funky

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

your understanding is not wrong... but the reason it does that is because the shaft opening in the plastic knob is too deep... so pushing the knob doesnt work since the knob is already touching the body of the guitar...

many users simply wad up a bit of paper like a straw wrapper or whatnot and stick it under the knob... problem solved...

(i'd still call and ask for a replacement knob, as it makes sense to do so...)

most of the frustration you read on here is people assuming the worst as they work to the root of the issue.

you have valid concerns, i'm just trying to add to your knowledge.

I own four JVTs (it's a sickness, I know) and this is right on the money!

#23 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

Thanks.  I've already worn out the you tube demos of the variax.  The reason I'm here is that I REALLY am impressed by the sound bites.  If the instrument is really a strat/LP competitor, both in quality & playability, then I'm even more anxious to get my hands on one.  But after reading about things like "warbling" & other tone "issues" here and on other sites I'm still hesitant.  A nice 30-day in-home trial is what I'm after.  I just can't seem to find any locally, yet.  I'm still hopeful.

Thanks again.

Cool. Yep, I'm happy with the acoustic sounds and bought my first Variax 700 based on youtube videos. Every bit as good as the videos show.

JTVs IMHO are definitely not the same quality as a USA strat or LP. Closer to a Korean PRS or Mexican strat. You may get a good one, you may not. And that's the problem. It's not that the Korean can't make good guitars. It's that they can't make them consistently. Q.C. is not up to Japanese standards, so what you get is a little more of a lottery. But, Line6 support is excellent, so they will do what they can.

I'd buy online from any of the retailers that offer a 30-day money back guarantee. That way, you can trial it and return it if it's not for you (not very likely IMHO), or if there are any issues, your retailer will get it sorted for you (a touch more likely IMHO).

I have bought many things from the big/medium online music retailers, including guitars, and any issues have been handled well so I wouldn't have any concerns there.

#24 pheld

pheld

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:59 AM

I can only speak for myself, but in my experience that is not the case. The on/off push-switch gets stuck when pushed in any but one or two of the rotary positions. It gets stuck even if you operate it with without the plastic knob on the shaft so it is definitely a problem inside the switch itself.

#25 friscocat

friscocat

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

Cool. Yep, I'm happy with the acoustic sounds and bought my first Variax 700 based on youtube videos. Every bit as good as the videos show.

JTVs IMHO are definitely not the same quality as a USA strat or LP. Closer to a Korean PRS or Mexican strat. You may get a good one, you may not. And that's the problem. It's not that the Korean can't make good guitars. It's that they can't make them consistently. Q.C. is not up to Japanese standards, so what you get is a little more of a lottery. But, Line6 support is excellent, so they will do what they can.

I have bought many things from the big/medium online music retailers, including guitars, and any issues have been handled well so I wouldn't have any concerns there.

I'm not familiar with the Mexi Strats.  I am very familiar with the Korean PRS SE guitars.  These are extraordinary guitars.  Very high quality.  I think they are the best "budget" guitars on the market.  My current strat knock-off is also Korean.  I am very pleased with it as well.  Since I haven't seen the Korean JTV guitars yet I can't comment.  But if quality control is an issue I think I'll be able to spot it in the instrument itself.  Quality control inside the electronics is always a crap shoot.  As the originator of this thread laments Line6 doesn't make spare parts available directly to the consumer.  This complicates matters.

Thanks for the head's up.  I'll pay particular attention to the build quality, fit & finish, & quality of the components when I get my hands on one.

#26 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

The Korean JTVs are actually at the same factory as the Korean PRS SEs. I believe the company that manufactures them is called World Music Industries.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users