Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can My Pod Hd400 Damage My Amp?

mrwolf11245

Hi all, probably answer number 1 in the manual but I don't have it to hand...

I connect my pedal to the front jack socket of the amp. It's a fender blues junior III. I'm not doing anything clever, really basic stuff. Setting the pedal to live and amp with the switches on the back.

If I crank the podhd400 to maximum levels then it drives the amp a lot harder than a guitar would on its own. So that suggests the pod is capable of pushing the amp a lot louder than its intended, right?

Question is will I do the amp or the speaker any damage by having the pod set to full volume and then setting the amp volume close to max?

It would be annoying to have to level check my guitar on its own before every band practice to make sure the volume switch hasn't moved on the pedal before I can safely crank the amp.

What does everyone else do to make sure they don't wreck their amp, or am I worrying about nothing? Perhaps the amp can't be damaged by the pedal and it's capable of the overhead?

Personally, I check my levels (guitar, pod and PA) before banging out a note or chord.

Yes, you could damage your speaker if not your amp with excessive volume.

And you will find the manual in the product manuals section. Takes about 10 seconds to get it on your computer for easy reference.

I think you may be over-thinking things here. Pick up your guitar and turn the Vol knob down. Glance at the volume levels on your pod and amp. Do they look roughly as they did when you last used them. If so, slowly turn up your guitar and go. If necessary or desired, adjust the pod and amp levels. Avoid excessive volume that would blow your amp speaker.

The master volume switch on the back seems to have a fairly huge impact when moved just a small amount and it seems like it can get moved in transport fairly easily. I don't know if the hd500 I different but on th hd400 there are no markers on the little dial to give you an indication if they've moved.

I'm lost :(

The master volume switch on the back seems to have a fairly huge impact when moved just a small amount and it seems like it can get moved in transport fairly easily. I don't know if the hd500 I different but on th hd400 there are no markers on the little dial to give you an indication if they've moved.

I'm lost :(

mark it yourself. :)

I'm sure if you throw your Pod at your amp hard enough it could damage it. As far as volume levels, an ounce of prevention is cheaper than a trip to the repair shop.

You have a tube amp: while you let tubes warm up in standby, check your levels. You have time.

The idea of marking your volume knob is a good one. Or take it a step further and tape that sucker.

As far as input volume, one would think that the tubes would absorb the volume and simply distort. Once you reach max output on a tube, there is no "11". It's maxed.

Thanks gents,

I think I shall mark it with a slither of tape, I'm getting a more powerful amp now so I will be less concerned when it arrives. It's just been worrying having an amp already at full blast having a signal sent to it that is already amped.

I'm going from a 15 watt tube amp to a 40 watt tube amp, so that pesky noisy drummer will plague me no longer.

Thanks again

-P