Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why Doesn't Volume Level Save With Patch?

karmicfreak

Hello all,

I am tweaking patches for a church gig today, and find one of them needs the volume lowered to be leveled with the other songs in the set.  I am using my HD500 through a DT25, with a JTV 69.  On the HD500, I move the volume control to the level I want, noting that the "notch" on the LED shows the old position.  I click "Save" twice to save the settings.  I then can see that the notch has moved to the correct place.  super. 

However, when I switch to another patch, then back, the notch (and volume level) have moved back to the original location.  

Why can't I save over the patch?  Any ideas/suggestions?  Anyone else having this trouble?

Dave

you need to move and save the channel volume.... the master volume does not save....

but if you save all your patches correctly with the channel volume...

the master volume raises/lowers them all equally...

although volume itself can change perceived loudness... but that's another topic.

Are you connected to HD Edit on a laptop as you're saving?

You need to "send" the patch or setlist to the HD500 once saved or it will switch back to the patch version installed on the HD500 when you go back to that patch using footswitches.

Also, one option is to standardise the DT amps master volume (i.e. to 2pm) and leave it at that for all your patches. Use the channel volume on the amp patch (adjusted on the DT amp, podHD or in HD Edit) to standardise and regulate volumes between patches before saving. You can otherwise experience massive volume dips or surges when switching between patches.

Yes, this is what I'm doing - I'm using the DT25 Master as my overall volume adjustment, and keeping it at one level while all patches are leveled to each other using the "volume" knob on the HD500.  The problem I'm having is that when I make the adjustment, click save 2x, (and I'm not using my computer right now, just as I won't when I'm rehearsing for the gig later), the volume is NOT saved when I return to the patch later.  This is really strange, because I tried eliminating a pedal from a patch just to see if it's saving at all - when I saved, went to another patch, then returned, the pedal I'd taken out of the chain was gone, but the volume notch had returned to the original position, not the position I was trying to save it at.  There is either something I'm not considering, or this is a bug.  I've used the rig for over a year and consider myself fairly adept in its' operation, but this one has thrown me.  Any other ideas (thanks for responding, BTW.)

Sounds like its mabye a bug then. The volumes save to my patches whether I adust and save on the pod or on a laptop via HD Edit.

I would say though that the safest way to guarantee a patch save is on the computer with a file save and patch "send" to the pod over USB. You've at least then got a proper backup of your intended patch on file and can repopulate the pod when necessary.

Mabye save your setlists and do a factory restore on the pod before repopulating?

I have had the same situation a couple of times myself at rehearsals using the HD500(x) and DT-25 (no computer).

I somehow got the patch saved with the correct volume in the end but don't quite know how.

I do think it's a bug and am curious how many people have had the problem and of course if and how they fixed it.

I really don't think this is a bug as a lot of people are doing what you are doing, including me.

First try going to a setlist with factory standard presets and changing one of those does it happen there - Yes - I don't know

No - Then I think you should open up HD-Edit and go to the controllers page and select the amp and you will see the drop down list of changeable parameters

like Gain, Volume check that they are set to none.

Maybe you have assigned the volume parameter to your exp pedal? Then you need to change the max value to the right amount. Otherwise your saved setting will be overridden when you use the pedal. Just a thought...

I wonder if this is the case... I played the gig and just had to adjust the master on the DT25 when needed.  I think the patches I needed to change did have a vol pedal in them, so I'll check that when I get it back out.  

Don't worry mate, I had this problem, it was driving me mad, save volume at 12 O Clock, go away from patch and back in and it was back to 2PM again, It's in the volume pedal parameters mate. If it was saved at 100%, it will not change unti you go into amp parameter and change volume to say..70%..hit save and it is done, I only learned through trial and error, good luck, if you are struggling, I will wiz downstairs and try to give you step by step guide.

I Have this same issue with my hd500. I ve done everything I should, tried to save each patch or the whole list but when I change the patch and come back to the on I changed it just didnt save. I m sure this is a bug. And today it was even more strange: I had the HD connected to my laptop with the HD editor. I edited the patch through the sotware and hit with my foot (after sending the saved modifications from the laptop to the hardware) another patch. Then when I hit back (through foot) to the modified patch, and  the sound heard was the old one while the changes I made via the software where registered vissually but the sound didn t changed. Then I double clicked (with my finger) this patch that was selected and the sound finally got new.  But everytime I save (and the software confirmed it) whenever I change this patch into another one and try to recall it, I still can only find the older one.

And this has happened not only with volume but also with delays BPM. I m not sure if using ll the User banks has made the hardwares memory so full that it can handle new storing operations. I ve also tried to change names of the patches or bring louder similar presets to that patch, but it doesnt works. When this patch is not working no matter what I try to save or replace, it never accepts new comands (that s why I believe it has something to do with the hardware s memory or processor capability...)

Also, none of these patches are at its maximum volumes, cause i can ake it louder once, but the patchs new information just desapears when I try to recall it. It goes back to previous sound although the visual modifications are still visible. Really weird. I m afraid that this maybe be the reason why they did the Hd500x, cause they noticed that the HD500 processor or memory couldn t handle the pacths bank (factory and user) all together...hope I m wrong.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same issue w/my POD HD Pro and it's driving me mad! I go direct into the board and I'm really pissing off every sound guy we've worked with (including our own).

I set the channel volume w/the Volume knob to 50%, save x2, switch to next patch, switch back, volume too loud again at 70%. I view knob settings -- volume dot is where I'd set it (50%) but the dial was around 70%.

I originally thought it was on any patch I set to bank 3A. When I saved this patch to another bank, however, the same thing happened.

I will double-check the volume pedal setting and make sure it matches the 50% -- I didn't consider this to be the issue since I don't move the volume pedal at all when I'm setting the volume & switching back-and-forth between patches to check levels.

If you have amp channel volume assigned to one of the expression pedals then you also have to adjust max in the exp pedal. For example if you lower amp volume from 70 to 50 then you also have to go into your exp pedal assigned to amp volume and lower the max from 70 to 50. If you don't, the volume will stay at 70.

one of them needs the volume lowered to be leveled with the other songs in the set.  

Level your volumes between patches using your volume levels at the mixer; for both path A and B if you're using dual amps.

Adjusting the volume of a selected amp using the VOLUME knob changes the output level of the amp block and will affect the tone of your patch, especially if you have effects after the amp block. It's recommended to keep the amp's VOLUME conservative.

http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/quickGuide#quirks

s

If you have amp channel volume assigned to one of the expression pedals then you also have to adjust max in the exp pedal. For example if you lower amp volume from 70 to 50 then you also have to go into your exp pedal assigned to amp volume and lower the max from 70 to 50. If you don't, the volume will stay at 70.

Yup, this is exactly what I needed to do -- I'm all fixed up! Thank you all!

• 9 months later...

I've been having a hellish time saving a volume pedal with my patches as well. I use the edit software, add a volume pedal to a patch, test it on the pedal (patch live from software) and it works fine. I save the patch as a file and then "send" the patch to the pedal. Works fine - UNTIL close the edit software, click away to another patch then back to the one that WAS working, and the volume pedal is gone. I have wasted hours trying to figure this out, it just shouldn't be this tough. I've tried loading the entire setlist, everything - sometimes they stay, but most of the time they just disappear. 

SO HERE'S THE FIX: Medbad5150's answer is correct - but you MUST change the volume on the BVP Volume on the amp even if it's turned off or using a generic amp ("amp A" for example), once you move the volume on the amp away from 100%, your patches will save correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup well, wasting another valuable afternoon trying to get the volume pedal to save on my Pod HD500x - getting to the end of my rope with this. Here's what happens:

Go to the tone downloads and download DreamClean.5xe, open it in Edit - works and volume pedal increases & decreases volume. Transfer patch to pedal, volume pedal works. Close Edit, volume pedal works. Click away to another patch - then back to DreamClean and volume is fixed, pedal doesn't work. Seriously, this shouldn't be this hard.

Getting ready to put this thing on eBay because of this one flaw. All I want is a consistent volume pedal with each patch. Sheessh! Any suggestions?

that isn't going to happen without a great deal of effort on your part.... that's just not how it works...

YOU have to make it fit YOUR needs

it's not a one size fits all device.

the pedal needs setup independently for each and every tone.

All I want is a consistent volume pedal with each patch. Sheessh! Any suggestions?

• Upvote 1

I appreciate that the hd500x is not a one-size-fits-all, that's why I like it! My point is that the failure to save the volume Pedal as part of the patch is a software / hardware bug that should be addressed. I've developed several work arounds, but this video clearly shows where the issue exists:

Hopefully this will result in a fix - if the pedal works when the patch is in edit mode, and works when transferred to the pod, it should stay when the editor is closed. Any help from those more knowledgeable is always appreciated.

peculiar, have you tried NOT using a volume pedal and assigning the expression pedal to control the channel volume?

that's the way alot of us use it, because it saves an effects block and DSP.

just an idea... but that issue isn't what i thought you were implying when i responded. have not ran into this one.

Yes, that's why I shot the video. Being a newby, I don't really understand what you said - but in almost all cases, this problem doesn't exist when I build a patch from scratch. It seems to only happen with patches I download. Most of my personal patches don't use amp modeling because I like the sound of my amp. Anybody else out there experiencing this issue as shown in the video? Any fixes?

• 2 years later...

Bro ,I have a problem here my patch sounds are different when my pod is connected to pod hd500x ,after I save the patch and disconnect the pod and shut it down and next time when I open it I found the sound of the patch that I reated before is different than the existed tone !!! ,then I open the pod hd 500x edit again to get back to the sound patch ,plus the volume is changed while opening the hd500x edit !!!! any help plz ?