Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x Through Pc - Latency On Monitoring Question

sacredgrooves

Running the 500 USB to the pc. The pc is hooked into my home theater setup via HDMI, Yamaha receiver, 5.1 surround polk audios, middle of the road consumer setup. and I use a tv as a pc monitor. I listen to music, youtube etc that way.

I want to be able to jam along with mp3's but I am getting a slight delay, which I assume is latency, between fretting a note and hearing the note. I have the 500 set to "listen to this device" through default playback device. My soundcard is a cheap, onboard Realtek apparently without ASIO. Is this the problem? I have tried a line out from the phones to the line in on the soundcard and its no better. I also adjusted buffer, etc in sound properties in windows 7.

I have an M-Audio Delta 44 sitting around somewhere I can install. I used to use it for the pod 2.0. Would this be a better option for playback (run 500 usb to pc and run l and r 1/4's or xlr out to delta 44)? Should I get a different soundcard? I can run mp3's back through the 500 and jam along with them on headphones just fine (plugged into the pod), just not with the surround speakers.

the best idea is to plug the sound direct from the POD, if you monitor the POD via the pc you'll have the latency problems. 

Just plug your "jamming audio" to the cd/aux input of the POD, and use the POD as your main audio interface for everything. I am sure you'll find a way to make it work

Thanks for the help! I will try the 44, if that doesn't cut it, will have to figure something else out. The issue I have is that the mp3's are on my pc (played through winamp), and the pod and pc interface has to be combined to send the audio through my receiver on the one I/O. I guess I could use an mp3 player direct into the pod though, good idea.

On a side note, this 500 sounds great and really liking the variety. It is light years better than the 2.0 I had, which I considered pretty useful in its day.