Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M13/9 Update

colmwiggle

one would hope that you would have chosen your products based on what it does at the time...

not on what it could hypothetically do at some future date....

That's sad to hear.  Never would have spent the money on an M9 if I knew there would only be one substantial update.  Guess I shouldn't be surprised since it's Line 6...

one would hope that you would have chosen your products based on what it does at the time...

not on what it could hypothetically do at some future date....

It was based on both.  Seems to me it would be intelligent for a manufacturer to stay ahead of competition by updating a good product (especially since it is fully capable of being updated) instead of letting it fall to the wayside as an "established product".

Line 6 would probably sell a whole bunch of new units if they issued a second substantial update with some new popular models like a POG, a shimmer effect, a Klon and/or Timmy model, etc. plus addressing a few of the known bugs and user requests.

Or everybody could just move on like with the xx-4 series.

I've got to say I don't know of any other company providing firmware updates to a digital multi-effects pedal 4 or 5 years after it was released. I doubt Fractal will be releasing updates for the Axe FX II three years from now... But, who knows? Maybe they will.

Anyway, I still think the M-series stuff represents the best bang for the buck in the effects world at the moment.

• 1 month later...

It's retail 101. Nobody is going to market a unit that will be continuously sustainable. They would put themselves out of business.

If they wanted to, car manufacturers could make vehicles that last 20 years. They control the market by making them obsolete after only a few years, which perpetuates the constant need for new ones. That's just how it works. Good for them / bad for us, but that's life.

And by the way, for a $300 template, how much more "free" updates can we really expect?