Rewolf48

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:51 AM

Ahh, but you are forgetting:

• HD500 has sharc dsp optimised for audio transformation rather than a general purpose CPU so is potentially orders of magnitude better at IR processing
  • This IR suggestion will replace at least the Cab and Mic simulations which might already be IR based

The thing is we don't know whether the HD500 uses IR + Convolution or something else entirely, and those who do know either won't or can't say. So pretty much from the release of the HD series people have been saying "We want user IRs" and in all that time Line 6 have said nothing at all.

#22 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

Two Notes video of HD500 into Torpedo CAB

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sfXgcVJbtIs

I've got to say that from that video, I don't hear a huge improvement going from the HD500's cab simulation to the Torpedo. The biggest difference to me between the tones is that the Torpedo sounds a bit louder in the mix. It's certainly not anything that would make me want to spend an extra $500 or $1000.

I'm not saying this as a knock against having the option to use third-party IRs or anything. I agree it would be nice to have. I just haven't heard anything that makes me think there's a vast difference.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#23 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

..I don't hear a huge improvement going from the HD500's cab simulation to the Torpedo. The biggest difference to me between the tones is that the Torpedo sounds a bit louder in the mix...

I had the same impression

#24 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

Certainly not worth the Extra 500 just to be able to use External IRs. Again I keep saying that I don't think that the LINE 6 CAB in the HD series is just an IR. What I mean is if you disable HD speaker simulations, you're disabling other things besides just the IR. That's what my ears tell me. I've tried HD with plugins by disabling HD cabs and always found out that HD cabs were better because they include more than just the impulse.

On the other hand when I disable the cabs in My eleven Rack and use external IRs using PC, there are better results sometimes from using IRS. Look at the HD speaker sim. It doesn't say off axis or on axis and it has "air" or "room" which means it's not just an IR. I'm sure line 6 knows what else is there and if they separate whatever else is there so you only disable the Impulse response only, then I would consider using with External IRs.

#25 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Again I keep saying that I don't think that the LINE 6 CAB in the HD series is just an IR.

They very likely could be. Somehow Line 6 takes into account the actual loading and interaction of the cab with the power amp in their modeling. So I don't know what happens when you disable the cab, really.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#26 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

They very likely could be. Somehow Line 6 takes into account the actual loading and interaction of the cab with the power amp in their modeling. So I don't know what happens when you disable the cab, really.

"Somehow Line 6 takes into account the actual loading and interaction of the cab with the power amp in their modeling".   That is probably disabled when you disable cab if I was to guess. Room parameter is also disabled for sure and who knows what that's linked to. Line 6 cab has more functions than just loading an IR so replacing it wit just an IR is sacrificing something else...

#27 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

I just listened to this video.  I could hardly tell any differance.  I think that was the point of the video. 

All I know is I applied an IR inside my DAW to my PODHD that was already recorded, which had CAB and Mic emulation turned on.  I tried out a few IRs inside of the Poulin plugin.  When I finally found the IR I liked it made a big improvement.  Was this the right way or intended way to do this ?.  I don't care and it doesn't matter.  Whatever makes it sound better is right. 

Back to what I was orginally trying to get accross with this thread.  PODHD customers should try the Poulin CAB plugin or any plugin that allows user installable IRs and see what a differance it makes.

First new (good sounding) modeler that has user installable IRs for under $700 bucks gets my next purchase.  I just hope Line6 is hearing this.

#28 BMoe

BMoe

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

First new (good sounding) modeler that has user installable IRs for under $700 bucks gets my next purchase.  I just hope Line6 is hearing this.

Scuffham Amps S-Gear $100 or

Lepou Plugins Free and  mixIR with Big Box $49.00

#29 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

Thanks but I need hardware solutions.  I mostly play live.

#30 bjnette

bjnette

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:02 AM

Revalver is another that supports loading in VSTs, plus it has an IR module as well..

In all fairness the cabs and mic choices and simple EQ FX in the HD's are adequate for live use and if you want IRs when recording just turn off the cabs.

Sure it would be nice to have, no denying it.

#31 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:04 AM

I agree with you 100%.  I'm not unhappy with the PODHD, it sounds very good.  I just know my next purchase will be for a modeler under $700 bucks that supports user loadable IRs.  And if it came out next week I would buy it.  Now that I've heard what IRs can do for tone and the huge number of IRs to choose from, it really opened my eyes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users