4 replies to this topic

#1 utubebenscott

utubebenscott

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

Has anyone found a successful way, or is there a method in which you can use the tube comp to give patches when for example if you are playing into your computer you get a tube kind of feel and tone? Placement, settings suggestions etc. welcome.

Thanks! 

#2 utubebenscott

utubebenscott

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thanks, and what do you set the level/comp to on the tube comp with threshold at 100% , 0%? And the same with the vetta ?

#3 ftuller

ftuller

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

I do the same thing hurghanico mentioned. I place the tube comp at 100 threshold early in the chain - after volume pedal and before tube screamer and digital delay. You can set the level to taste.

I usually set it at 12 which is a slight boost. Amp model I use is b'face 'lux vib full model. The tube comp at 100 threshold seems to color the tone in a good way so I often leave it on all the time.

The fender amp, tube comp, and tube screamer together gives you plenty of tube sound.

#4 MartinDorr

MartinDorr

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • LocationArizona, U.S.A.
  • Registered Products:4

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

I measured a Fender Strat position 2 level before and after TubeComp insertion (no amp and no effects) and found I needed a level of 4% @ 100% threshold to get the same output level. I suspect this should not change for any guitar because the frequency changes of the TubeComp are subtle.
As you increase compression threshold to about 65% the TubeComp adds a little gain (you can reduce level to 0% as you go) and I think very little compression. As you keep going up in compression threshold settings things get quite a bit louder. And if I remember right, every 1% level increase adds about 0.4dB gain in case you want a little extra boots. There was an earlier thread about compressors in general with more information on what others do and why. Good luck.

#5 meambobbo

meambobbo

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1778 posts
  • Registered Products:4

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

i like around 60% threshold or higher and 0% level, also at the beginning of the chain.  i also measured the frequency response and there is a mild but noticeable low pass filter effect at higher frequencies, i think like 10kHZ.

Pod HD Tone Guide and Patches

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pod hd500, tube comp