6 replies to this topic

#1 utubebenscott

utubebenscott

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

Has anyone found a successful way, or is there a method in which you can use the tube comp to give patches when for example if you are playing into your computer you get a tube kind of feel and tone? Placement, settings suggestions etc. welcome.

Thanks! 

#2 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

Has anyone found a successful way, or is there a method in which you can use the tube comp to give patches when for example if you are playing into your computer you get a tube kind of feel and tone? Placement, settings suggestions etc. welcome.

I can tell you the following things..

the tube comp often gives to the guitar signal a nice body and sound which conseguently affects in a very good way the amp model sound..

many times I place it at the beginning of the chain after the wah, and often I set the threshold to 100% which means almost no compression at all, because I like the sound that gives even just being on and running..

as an example start a empty patch, put a tube comp and set the threshold at 100%, now activate a fender amp model and for the moment leave it at the default settings, listen to it, now switch off the comp and hear the difference..

another good and very similar comp is the vetta juice, several times I do the same thing, set for no compression or very little, just for the sound it gives

#3 utubebenscott

utubebenscott

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thanks, and what do you set the level/comp to on the tube comp with threshold at 100% , 0%? And the same with the vetta ?

#4 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thanks, and what do you set the level/comp to on the tube comp with threshold at 100% , 0%? And the same with the vetta ?

I just leave the default settings

#5 ftuller

ftuller

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

I do the same thing hurghanico mentioned. I place the tube comp at 100 threshold early in the chain - after volume pedal and before tube screamer and digital delay. You can set the level to taste.

I usually set it at 12 which is a slight boost. Amp model I use is b'face 'lux vib full model. The tube comp at 100 threshold seems to color the tone in a good way so I often leave it on all the time.

The fender amp, tube comp, and tube screamer together gives you plenty of tube sound.

#6 MartinDorr

MartinDorr

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationArizona, U.S.A.

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

I measured a Fender Strat position 2 level before and after TubeComp insertion (no amp and no effects) and found I needed a level of 4% @ 100% threshold to get the same output level. I suspect this should not change for any guitar because the frequency changes of the TubeComp are subtle.
As you increase compression threshold to about 65% the TubeComp adds a little gain (you can reduce level to 0% as you go) and I think very little compression. As you keep going up in compression threshold settings things get quite a bit louder. And if I remember right, every 1% level increase adds about 0.4dB gain in case you want a little extra boots. There was an earlier thread about compressors in general with more information on what others do and why. Good luck.

#7 meambobbo

meambobbo

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1733 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

i like around 60% threshold or higher and 0% level, also at the beginning of the chain.  i also measured the frequency response and there is a mild but noticeable low pass filter effect at higher frequencies, i think like 10kHZ.

Pod HD Tone Guide and Patches

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pod hd500, tube comp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users