I recently bought a JTV 59 and a Pod HD500X, and so far I am really liking the combination, but I am still feeling my way around how to set up patches to get the sounds I want, and probably will be for some time (lots to learn)
Right now, the only amplification choices I have are:
1) A Egnater Rebel 30 with an Egnater 1-12" enclosed cab.
2) A pair of Presonus Eris 8" near field studio monitors.
Both of these require a different approach as far as setting up patches. They're obviously different animals. The Eris monitors being real FRFR speakers, sound better for the acoustic emulations of the JTV, and I like the acoustic tones a lot, but it's a little harder to dial in higer gain electric patches. They are also not really made for live sound applications, and are too delicate (exposed speaker cones) for playing out.
That leaves me with the Egnater for playing out. I've managed to get a decent sound by going into the effects loop return on the Egnater, thereby bypassing all of the preamp & controls. This makes it a simple power amp, but it's still going through a traditional guitar speaker & cab. Sounds pretty good for electric clean/mid-gain/high gain tones, but not ideal for the acoustic JTV sounds. Not bad, but not great.
I've been thinking about what to do long term, and have been pondering:
- Buying 1 or 2 Tech 21 Power engines (maybe eventually swapping out the stock speakers for something like EV12M's).
- Buying a DT25
- Buying a pair of some kind of small PA full range speakers. I'm somewhat limited by budget - would love to have a pair of great speakers (QSC K10's, or EV112P's, or ????), but all those choices are a little pricey. Would probably have to start with 1, and get the other later.
I hadn't considered the Line 6 L2T's but the more I read about them, the more intriguing they seem (also pricey, would have to start with 1). The DT25 seems like a great choice, but I do want to amplify the JTV acoustic tones as well as the standard electric tones. I also could use PA type speakers for other things such as synth stuff (Fishman Triple Play, vocals, and acoustic guitar in other setups so the PA type speakers have other advantages that a DT25 wouldn't have.
Sorry for being long winded - My question is does anyone out there use a Pod HD500/HD500X with a L2T, and if so, what can you say about the combination?
- How does the L2T do with low, mid or higher gain electric patches from the HD500? Are you getting good sound without the "Fizz" or shrillness of some PA speakers?
- How does it sound with acoustic patches (JTV or Variax), or regular acoustic guitars?
- Do you get any interconnectivity advantages like with the DT amps (switching modes on the L2T directly from the HD500)?
- How does it compare to running through a traditional guitar amp sound wise?
- How does it compare to other PA speakers like the QSC's or EV's?
If anyone can give me soem feedback, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your responses.