Photo

Anyone Using A Podhd500x With A L2t? Impressions?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 guitarno

guitarno

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

I recently bought a JTV 59 and a Pod HD500X, and so far I am really liking the combination, but I am still feeling my way around how to set up patches to get the sounds I want, and probably will be for some time (lots to learn)

Right now, the only amplification choices I have are:

1) A Egnater Rebel 30 with an Egnater 1-12" enclosed cab.

2) A pair of Presonus Eris 8" near field studio monitors.

Both of these require a different approach as far as setting up patches. They're obviously different animals. The Eris monitors being real FRFR speakers, sound better for the acoustic emulations of the JTV, and I like the acoustic tones a lot, but it's a little harder to dial in higer gain electric patches. They are also not really made for live sound applications, and are too delicate (exposed speaker cones) for playing out.

That leaves me with the Egnater for playing out. I've managed to get a decent sound by going into the effects loop return on the Egnater, thereby bypassing all of the preamp & controls. This makes it a simple power amp, but it's still going through a traditional guitar speaker & cab. Sounds pretty good for electric clean/mid-gain/high gain tones, but not ideal for the acoustic JTV sounds. Not bad, but not great.

I've been thinking about what to do long term, and have been pondering:

• Buying 1 or 2 Tech 21 Power engines (maybe eventually swapping out the stock speakers for something like EV12M's).
  • Buying a DT25
  • Buying a pair of some kind of small PA full range speakers. I'm somewhat limited by budget - would love to have a pair of great speakers (QSC K10's, or EV112P's, or ????), but all those choices are a little pricey. Would probably have to start with 1, and get the other later.

I hadn't considered the Line 6 L2T's but the more I read about them, the more intriguing they seem (also pricey, would have to start with 1). The DT25 seems like a great choice, but I do want to amplify the JTV acoustic tones as well as the standard electric tones. I also could use PA type speakers for other things such as synth stuff (Fishman Triple Play, vocals, and acoustic guitar in other setups so the PA type speakers have other advantages that a DT25 wouldn't have.

Sorry for being long winded - My question is does anyone out there use a Pod HD500/HD500X with a L2T, and if so, what can you say about the combination?

• How does the L2T do with low, mid or higher gain electric patches from the HD500? Are you getting good sound without the "Fizz" or shrillness of some PA speakers?
  • How does it sound with acoustic patches (JTV or Variax), or regular acoustic guitars?
  • Do you get any interconnectivity advantages like with the DT amps (switching modes on the L2T directly from the HD500)?
  • How does it compare to running through a traditional guitar amp sound wise?
  • How does it compare to other PA speakers like the QSC's or EV's?

If anyone can give me soem feedback, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your responses. B)

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'm sorry to say, guitarno...

…That (great though it undoubtedly is) there's simply NO WAY that this forum (or any other words) can give you a full appreciation of the mind-blowing power and performer-friendliness that you'll get by Line 6 Linking your JTV to a StageSource L2t via an HD500x.

Don't misunderstand me, I've absolutely NO affiliation with, nor particular loyalty to Line 6 or any other manufacturer or supplier …and really do both use and love various items from the E/V, Fishman, Presonus and QSC catalogs, …but I firmly believe that you should NOT simply accept my word (or anyone else's) for the "out of this world" performance that only a Line 6 Linked combination can offer.

The sooner you can get a "hands on" demo at a store near you, the better. (You owe it to yourself.)

#3 guitarno

guitarno

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:07 AM

Thanks for your comments. :D  I just wasn't sure exactly what the link from the HD500 to the L2T does for you in comparison to linking to a DT25, or how it sounds in comparison to a regular guitar amp. From your description the combination has to be experienced first hand to be appreciated! I'll definately have to try one out with my setup.

#4 f_guitarra

f_guitarra

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

fui colocar 2 amps iguais na mesma linha, a minha pod hd500 travou fica só reiniciando 

não sei o que fazer pois ela fica só desligando acada 3 segundos 

parece que travou na hora que eu estava fazendo os patch´s ajudem-me 

#5 JeffersteinVS

JeffersteinVS

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

Hands down amazing man. I got the whole dream stage and variax, hd500x and people are just jealous of my tone. all the dudes with the half stacks and 100 watt tube amps breaking backs were impressed

Complete Dream Stage./JTV-59k/HD500X/RELAY G30  Guitar Player for VelvetSkies. 90's to Modern Party Rock Boston Ma. VelvetSkiesBand.com

#6 radatats

radatats

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

so when you are using the POD HD with L6 link and DT, it automatically switches from Studio Direct to Stack Power Amp.  Does it do that with the L2T/L3T speakers too?  Just curious...

l6+sig+pic-1.png   

#7 jcosta_sr

jcosta_sr

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

JTV-69 >>>> HD 500 >>>>> L2t.

I love my 69, adore the HD500 but you would have to pry my dead hands from the L2t. I have been chasing FRFR for the better part of 15 years.

I have found it.......in the L2t

Not only is the L2t a great piece of sonic equipment. It is small and easy to move around. As a guitarist, I can transport my gear in a compact car, and I get 800 wats.

#8 JeffersteinVS

JeffersteinVS

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

Yes l6 link to a l3t or 2t will switch the hd500 to front combo and then the l2t or l3t speaker will switch to electric guitar mode which emulates a cab. then when you switch to acoustic with the variax it goes to reference pa mode

Complete Dream Stage./JTV-59k/HD500X/RELAY G30  Guitar Player for VelvetSkies. 90's to Modern Party Rock Boston Ma. VelvetSkiesBand.com

#9 guitarno

guitarno

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Well, the more I hear and see of other people using an L2T, the more I think that this would be the best choice for me. Sounds like people that use them with the HD500's are getting great results and love them. :D  I'm just going to have to get one on a "trial" basis and see if my experience is as good as other L2T users. Damn :wacko:  - I'll have to pay off the HD500X & JTV first so I can afford it. I'm going to be into Line 6 for a fair amount of money with these 3. Maybe I should buy some stock and get some of my money back.

First things first - I'll have to pay off my current Line 6 debt so I can create some more for the L2T. May take a few weeks until that happens, but I am definitely going to bring one in and try it out. Thanks to everyone who commented on this post! B)  Know of any good discounts on an L2T?.....

#10 radatats

radatats

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

hate to make it worse BUT... if I were you I would spend the few bucks extra for the L3T... just saying, ya know...

l6+sig+pic-1.png   

#11 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

hate to make it worse BUT... if I were you I would spend the few bucks extra for the L3T... just saying, ya know...

...Whereas many of us would rather devote any extra bucks to a lightweight, adjustable crank-up speaker stand  for our L2T, http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000CD3QYW, and/or a protective speaker bag https://www.globalfu...ode=98-037-0002,

…because the larger cabinet

1. Won't fit in the transport we have available and/or
  2. Doesn't suit the limited "real estate" available at many of our venues and/or
  3. Is too heavy for us to manage.

While I think you're dead right in suggesting that the minimal extra charged for the mind-boggling "reach" and power of the larger L3T undoubtedly does represent amazingly good value, please don't think that I'm implying any disrespect at all in reminding folks that many of the compromises forced on us often mean that bigger is not necessarily better.

#12 radatats

radatats

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

good points, but its only 10 in longer and about 15 lbs more right? Still a lot better than my DT 25HD and a 2X12 cab or my PA rack and cabs.

I just know I generally end up wishing I had got the bigger model somewhere down the line...   :)

Edit - how do these handle dual amp patches?  Does the L3T maintain any stereo separation or does it just sum to mono?

l6+sig+pic-1.png   

#13 karmicfreak

karmicfreak

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

My first impression of using the L2T instead of my DT25 along with my JTV 69 and HD500: 

*L2T set to Flat/Reference, HD500 to Studio/Direct

Going through patches, I found some I had made for the DT25 sounded harsh and unruly, even after switching from a Pre model to a full amp/cab model.  This isn't a fair way to compare the two.  Instead, I made a new patch, left out EVERYTHING, and used only the Strat-4 model (Neck/Mid) and Lester-1 (Bridge) for the higher gain amps.  I then cycled through each amp (again, full models on the L2T) and noted the differences. 

My general impression is that the L2T lends each amp a more distinctive personality, whereas the DT25 specializes in a few models (namely, the Blackface family, Vox family, Marshall family, and Boogie family), but many of the others didn't seem as distinct as when i played through the L2T.  I need to spend time outside my little studio to really put them side by side at performance volume, but I am considering selling my DT25 to finance the L2T.  

My biggest trepidation with selling my DT25 is the fact that it is a stand-alone amp.  If my HD500 breaks, I can plug in the amp and be fine for a gig.  If the DT25 busts a tube, I can go direct with the HD500.  There's no similar backup with the HD500>L2T combo, meaning I'd need to buy an amp modeling pedal or something for "just in case." 

Anyone else agree/disagree with this observation?

Dave

#14 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11078 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

Your observation is absolutely correct. Without the DT25 you are more vulnerable to an HD500 device failure.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#15 karmicfreak

karmicfreak

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

Your observation is absolutely correct. Without the DT25 you are more vulnerable to an HD500 device failure.

I failed at grammar in my post - what I meant to ask was, "does anyone agree with the observation that the amp models seem more distinct using hd500 to the l2T vs dt25?

#16 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

here is a video that answers a few of your questions http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GZS-1JGkmQU

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#17 guitarno

guitarno

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

Thanks jaminjimlp! I have seen those videos - Very informative & he is getting some pretty nice tones from that setup. I noticed that Sweetwater is running a "Try it Love it or Send it back" promotion on the L2T, and I couldn't resist any more. I broke down and ordered one. With very little risk involved (free return shipping), I don't see any reason not to try one out. I have a feeling that I Won't be sending it back!

Thanks to everyone who posted for their opinions & insights!  B) I'll post a short review after I get some time to test it out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users