#1 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:06 AM

I have a JTV59 and I am still on 1.71 flash and I play with VDI connected to HD500. I have used the banjo model before without any issues but have not needed it for last 8 months or so, but needed it again this weekend. When I used it I noticed a distinct popping sound that seemed to occur at the same time as the initial pick attack. It seemed far more pronounced on the A and D strings and not really noticeable on the B and high E. If I played really gently then I could avoid it but normal play it was there. It wasn't on every pick but it would come and go as I played and was very obvious. I switched everything off and on a few times and it was still there. I have no idea what is causing it. It does not occur with any other model sounds. Has anyone else had the same issue with the banjo model? And if so, did you identify the problem? And did you find a fix? Thanks.

#2 mr-jw

mr-jw

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hey,

I think i have a similar problem with the banjo sound. It sounds a bit like a 'static' click. This also accurs sometimes with some other reso and acoustic sounds. Sometimes it looks that the tone knob on the guitar does affect this popping sound, but i'm not sure. I'm also not sure if this is a firmware issue or perhaps a output volume issue. Anyway, i don't have a fix jet. Maybe somebody else?

#3 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:15 AM

Thanks for the reply - yes the sound is like a "static" click.  It's really annoying.    What level of flash are you on with your JTV?  Just wondering if it's present in all versions right through to 2.0.

#4 mr-jw

mr-jw

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

I was using 2.0 but reflashed it to 1.9. Same problem with static click noise on both firmware.

#5 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

Thanks - I have just upgraded to v2.0 and the issue was still there although it did not seem quite as bad.

#6 ext1jdh

ext1jdh

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

I have the same thing on mine. I put a parametric eq in my mix after a graphic eq. Graphic has 220 lowered down and the parametric has been tweaked with my sound guy to make it sound more natural.
pqpy.jpg
4ntm.jpg
9s6v.jpg
isnq.jpg

#7 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

Thanks for the reply - would you mine sharing the parameter values for the GRAPHIC EQ and the PARAMETRIC EQ so we can try it out?  Thanks in advance.

I have the same thing on mine. I put a parametric eq in my mix after a graphic eq. Graphic has 220 lowered down and the parametric has been tweaked with my sound guy to make it sound more natural.

#8 ext1jdh

ext1jdh

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

I'll pull them out of the board when I get home and drop a screenshot

I'm using an HD500 but the graphic and parametric values may vary for you.
pqpy.jpg
4ntm.jpg
9s6v.jpg
isnq.jpg

#9 ext1jdh

ext1jdh

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Here's my banjo settings and the HD500 patch for those who are interested. If anyone would like more detail please feel free to ask. 

Note that the graphic is first in the chain, the parametric is second in the chain. It's not set up that way further down, but the chain has the GEQ first.

YodBDfS.jpg

Attached Files

pqpy.jpg
4ntm.jpg
9s6v.jpg
isnq.jpg

#10 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:31 AM

Thanks very much!

#11 ext1jdh

ext1jdh

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

Note that my attached patch is jtv variax specific - it's looking for the variax input. If you're not using a JTV than you'll need to adjust. In any case you should adjust the eq for your sound system. I'm running through a church PA so my sound guy tells me what needs to be adjusted from his viewpoint
pqpy.jpg
4ntm.jpg
9s6v.jpg
isnq.jpg

#12 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:18 AM

Thank you once again ext1jdh.  The EQ adjustments for the banjo have improved the sound, however, it has not removed the "static pop" sound.  It is still there and comes and goes during playing - very annoying.  I wonder why I had never noticed it before?  I can't stop hearing it now!

Note that my attached patch is jtv variax specific - it's looking for the variax input. If you're not using a JTV than you'll need to adjust. In any case you should adjust the eq for your sound system. I'm running through a church PA so my sound guy tells me what needs to be adjusted from his viewpoint

#13 ext1jdh

ext1jdh

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:17 AM

Are you fingerpicking or using picks? The banjo model has an extremely high attack that does not respond well to picking. As with the acoustic models, the banjo is best used with an extremely light technique. It can't be treated like a traditional banjo.

I'll spend some more time in HD Edit tonight and see if I can make it sound better, but technique plays the largest part when using the banjo model.
pqpy.jpg
4ntm.jpg
9s6v.jpg
isnq.jpg

#14 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:45 AM

Are you fingerpicking or using picks? The banjo model has an extremely high attack that does not respond well to picking. As with the acoustic models, the banjo is best used with an extremely light technique. It can't be treated like a traditional banjo.

I'll spend some more time in HD Edit tonight and see if I can make it sound better, but technique plays the largest part when using the banjo model.

Yes I am using a pick - and I am trying to strum lightly.  It doesn't appear to be related to the strength of the picking. It just pops up (pardon the pun) every now and then. It is like a static electricity pop and doesn't seem directly related to the note, string or pick action occurring at the time.  I don't think it can be EQ'd out - your original patch settings are good for the Banjo sound. This popping seems to be a fundamental characteristic of the model.    I will try picking lightly with my fingers to see if it disappears.  Thanks again.

#15 ext1jdh

ext1jdh

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:55 AM

Edit: any chance of a recording?

I would suspect a cable connection, or something smacking the bridge in that case. The piezo pickups in the bridge will take any vibrations they encounter and convert them to signal. That happens with my JTV69 whammy bar, squeaking when it swings. I can hear clipping when I pick too hard on the banjo or acoustic models. If you're not hearing clipping, but static-like popping then its likely something entirely different. It's probably happening all the time, but the banjo model is so sensitive that it shows up more often.

I get static pops in my headphones when I move around in my chairs possibly there's a grounding problem somewhere in your chain? That's always been something I've found odd about the HD500 is that it's not a grounded device...but I digress.

If that's what it is, then it's got to be happening prior to the piezo pickups. Possibly static grounding on the strings/bridge, or something smacking the bridge.

As an experiment, see if you can add reverb to the pop. If the pop reverberates then it's occurring in the guitar-effects chain. If it doesn't reverberate, then it's after the guitar-effects chain
pqpy.jpg
4ntm.jpg
9s6v.jpg
isnq.jpg

#16 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

I have made a recording of the Banjo sound - straight in to MUSIC CREATOR from the JTV59 via my ALESIS IO/2 usb interface.  Here it is:  http://soundcloud.co...ple-track-1-rec

The popping sound is rather like someone tutting here and there through the recording.

Edit: any chance of a recording?

#17 offashead

offashead

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

I have made a recording of the Banjo sound - straight in to MUSIC CREATOR from the JTV59 via my ALESIS IO/2 usb interface.  Here it is:  http://soundcloud.co...ple-track-1-rec

The popping sound is rather like someone tutting here and there through the recording.

I don't use a POD anymore ,but, that's another story. I hear it and I get the same using a JTV69 direct into a recorder. It occurs on the low strings more than others. I use a plectrum but a very thin one and I use it very lightly. I believe, as has been said, it's down to the nature of the model/attack. It happens on the other reso position but not as pronounced, you are not alone.

#18 ext1jdh

ext1jdh

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

I was able to download your wav file from Soundcloud and run it through Logic. To me it sounds like pick attack. 

I threw a parametric eq on it and I think I was able to isolate and trim out the popping. It seems to be occurring around 5300 hZ. If you can turn down 5300 hZ in your EQ (either parametric or graphic) then you can probably get rid of the majority of the sound you're hearing. 

Use the Q value below as a guideline - it'll be different for anything that's not Logic.

Pf9CozR.png

I'd love to hear if this worked for you. I'm definitely going to do the same for my HD500's parametric.

pqpy.jpg
4ntm.jpg
9s6v.jpg
isnq.jpg

#19 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

I get some unwanted noise when I try to play with my fingers with many of the models - especially the acoustics.  I don't get it with a pick at all.  I do not get that with my Variax 500.  I need to work on my playing style to get rid of this I guess.  It's only there with the modeling not with the mags.

#20 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

Thank you very much for looking at this for me and for your suggestion on how to remove with parametric EQ - so I will give that a try.

By the way - I don't think it is pick attack because I can still get it even when I just use my left hand and gently hammer on notes.  Just stepping through a sequence of notes using just my left hand pressing the strings on the banjo model still creates this popping sound.  I have even tried turning down all the string volumes for the banjo model to 90% but it is still there.  I think it is integral to the model.   However, I will try the EQ solution to see if I can minimise or remove it altogether.

UPDATE:  I tried to EQ on the HD500.  The GRAPHIC EQ does not have a high enough range.  The PARAMETRIC only goes up to 4500Hz, but I tried it anyway. I set FREQ to 100% to get to 4500Hz and then varied the Q from 5% up to 100% and still had the popping noise.  :(

I was able to download your wav file from Soundcloud and run it through Logic. To me it sounds like pick attack. 

I threw a parametric eq on it and I think I was able to isolate and trim out the popping. It seems to be occurring around 5300 hZ. If you can turn down 5300 hZ in your EQ (either parametric or graphic) then you can probably get rid of the majority of the sound you're hearing. 

Use the Q value below as a guideline - it'll be different for anything that's not Logic.

Pf9CozR.png

I'd love to hear if this worked for you. I'm definitely going to do the same for my HD500's parametric.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users