Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Banjo Sound Popping Noise Jtv59

hallo

its a bug in programing the banjo

same thing on tricone reso and biscuite reso

other models work fine

picked on all strings on all frets slow, fast, light, hard without/with different plectrum and with "same touch"

sound character change after some picks, it sound lower and banjo sound less banjo

and after some picks it change back and so it goes, good, bad ......

write a support ticket to make line6 aware of problem

paulsky   :wacko: 

• 8 months later...

The popping sound is rather like

I play a Gibson Mastertone with the 5th string removed and tuned like a guitar. Broadway plays like Hello Dolly, Chicago, and music in the Dixieland style required aggressive banging on the banjo, creating all kinds of obnoxious subtleties when closely scrutinized. I alternated between my real banjo and the model last weekend at Mardi Gras Mobile, AL. I fooled the band members. "How are you doing that?" I think your recording sounds very much like a banjo, and when added in with other appropriate instruments, is very acceptable. I say be aggressive, hit the strings hard, tremelo profusely, go on to the next song, and thank Line 6 that you didn't have to lug several instruments to the gig. (Unless you also had to forego extra pay for doubling)

I play a Gibson Mastertone with the 5th string removed and tuned like a guitar. Broadway plays like Hello Dolly, Chicago, and music in the Dixieland style required aggressive banging on the banjo, creating all kinds of obnoxious subtleties when closely scrutinized. I alternated between my real banjo and the model last weekend at Mardi Gras Mobile, AL. I fooled the band members. "How are you doing that?" I think your recording sounds very much like a banjo, and when added in with other appropriate instruments, is very acceptable. I say be aggressive, hit the strings hard, tremelo profusely, go on to the next song, and thank Line 6 that you didn't have to lug several instruments to the gig. (Unless you also had to forego extra pay for doubling)

Thanks for your input.  I am glad to hear that the banjo model does match up to a real banjo in a band setting.  So it is working as it should and there is no problem with my JTV and it's rendition of the banjo.  Good to know!   Thanks again!    :)

Thanks for the insight clay-man.

I don't think I ever noticed popping noises too much, but if the ADSR (attack-decay-sustain-release envelope) initiates too slowly then it could be turning the volume back up too late and basically cutting off some of the attack, creating a pop sound.

I haven't messed with the banjo long enough when I messed with my 69 to tell right now. Waiting on my replacement.

The banjo has an ADSR to simulate the low sustain of a banjo. The ADSR has to detect when you play a new string to reset the volume back to being loud again

True - and the ADSR block in the DSP is also employed on other Variax Models too

FWIW - Id pay $$ if they could also removed the ADSR from the Strat model  too, so the Strat can finally sing like the Tele model ! 

True - and the ADSR block in the DSP is also employed on other Variax Models too

FWIW - Id pay $$ if they could also removed the ADSR from the Strat model  too, so the Strat can finally sing like the Tele model ! 

The Strat model might just be lower volume so it has the illusion of having low sustain, at least I hope so.

Applying an ADSR to the strat would be kind of pointless if your variax is a 69.

• Upvote 1

Applying an ADSR to the strat would be kind of pointless if your variax is a 69.

Make this request to Line6 management  - My ears tell me the ADSR DOES already exist in All Variax Strat Models regardless of year 2004-2015 - even my Variax 500 has a built in "lack of sustain" for its Strat models - this is why I use workbench and swap the Bridge PU for the Tele Bridge PU Model ( which removes the ADSR ) and allows far more sustain,  compared to the Strat bridge PU model  that employs the ADSR