Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 Through A Simmons Da200s Review

flabergaster

I took a chance on a piece of gear, and I'm really happy with the results, so I thought I would share it here.

While I would love to have 2 L3M Stage Source Speakers to complete my live setup, I don't have that kind of money at the moment.

I play a JTV69 through an HD500/Roland GR55 combination, and I have several tones where I'm splitting an acoustic model to one side with an electric to the other. This means I need Full Range Amplification and it has to be stereo. I have two Behringer K3000FX Keyboard Amps that sound great and are plenty loud, but they weigh a frickin' ton, so I've been looking for an easy transport solution for smaller venues.  I had looked at the Motion Sound KP200S but it is right at a grand. Same for the Traynor K4, and the Roland KC880, and they're both over 80 lbs.

I came across the Simmons DA200S while searching.  It is designed as a full range amp for electronic drum kits.  It is stereo, 200W, and it weighs in at only 57 lbs.. I went to the Nashville Guitar Center, and played one by jacking my cell phone through the aux port with a few select mp3s.   It sounded great so I dropped $319 plus tax and took it home.  My models sound great through this thing, and it is seriously loud. The down firing 12 inch sub really kicks in the bass and I'm getting great articulation from the midrange and tweeters. I'm really pleased. I didn't even have to revoice my patches. With the tone knobs set at 50% and the Sub volume at about 40% it played great. I had a feeling that it would have to be pretty tight or a pounding electronic kick drum would shake it to pieces over time. It feels really solid and built like a tank. Of course it's made in China, so it may last forever, it may die tomorrow. It does have a 3 year factory warranty, but there's no website registration. You have to actually mail in the post card. :-/

The aux jack on the front panel is 1/4 inch TRS, so I'm just coming out of the Headphone jack on the HD500 straight to the aux jack of the DA200S with a stereo cable which leaves all the other outputs on the HD500 available. The DA200S has two built in direct boxes with a separate send level pot feeding R & L XLR Outs. This gives me 4 available XLR outs, 2 on the HD500, and 2 on the DA200S. I can use 2 to feed my Behringers, and 2 to feed the house when I need a larger setup. The way that the DA200S is slanted back will make it perfect for a personal monitor, and it seems loud enough to do the job in small to medium venues all by itself.

I still want to eventually have a full Line 6 setup with the Stage Source Speakers, but until that ship comes in, the Simmons DA200S is a great sounding easy to carry alternative in the mean time. If you are looking for a full range stereo amp for your modeler, guitar synth, keys, or even the electronic drums it was designed for,  I think you'll be pleased with the DA200S at under $400.

I am in no way affiliated with Simmons, and I'm not trying to spam the board. Depending on taste, your results may vary. I play mostly classic rock, blues, and I only use the occasional higher gain model.

Peace!

I took a chance on a piece of gear, and I'm really happy with the results, so I thought I would share it here.

While I would love to have 2 L3M Stage Source Speakers to complete my live setup, I don't have that kind of money at the moment.

I play a JTV69 through an HD500/Roland GR55 combination, and I have several tones where I'm splitting an acoustic model to one side with an electric to the other. This means I need Full Range Amplification and it has to be stereo. I have two Behringer K3000FX Keyboard Amps that sound great and are plenty loud, but they weigh a frickin' ton, so I've been looking for an easy transport solution for smaller venues. I had looked at the Motion Sound KP200S but it is right at a grand. Same for the Traynor K4, and the Roland KC880, and they're both over 80 lbs.

I came across the Simmons DA200S while searching. It is designed as a full range amp for electronic drum kits. It is stereo, 200W, and it weighs in at only 57 lbs.. I went to the Nashville Guitar Center, and played one by jacking my cell phone through the aux port with a few select mp3s. It sounded great so I dropped $319 plus tax and took it home. My models sound great through this thing, and it is seriously loud. The down firing 12 inch sub really kicks in the bass and I'm getting great articulation from the midrange and tweeters. I'm really pleased. I didn't even have to revoice my patches. With the tone knobs set at 50% and the Sub volume at about 40% it played great. I had a feeling that it would have to be pretty tight or a pounding electronic kick drum would shake it to pieces over time. It feels really solid and built like a tank. Of course it's made in China, so it may last forever, it may die tomorrow. It does have a 3 year factory warranty, but there's no website registration. You have to actually mail in the post card. :-/

The aux jack on the front panel is 1/4 inch TRS, so I'm just coming out of the Headphone jack on the HD500 straight to the aux jack of the DA200S with a stereo cable which leaves all the other outputs on the HD500 available. The DA200S has two built in direct boxes with a separate send level pot feeding R & L XLR Outs. This gives me 4 available XLR outs, 2 on the HD500, and 2 on the DA200S. I can use 2 to feed my Behringers, and 2 to feed the house when I need a larger setup. The way that the DA200S is slanted back will make it perfect for a personal monitor, and it seems loud enough to do the job in small to medium venues all by itself.

I still want to eventually have a full Line 6 setup with the Stage Source Speakers, but until that ship comes in, the Simmons DA200S is a great sounding easy to carry alternative in the mean time. If you are looking for a full range stereo amp for your modeler, guitar synth, keys, or even the electronic drums it was designed for, I think you'll be pleased with the DA200S at under $400.

I am in no way affiliated with Simmons, and I'm not trying to spam the board. Depending on taste, your results may vary. I play mostly classic rock, blues, and I only use the occasional higher gain model.

Peace!

Nice review and thanks for pointing out another excellent piece of gear!