RIblues

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

http://www.positivegrid.com/bias/

Well this is interesting. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but the Pod's deal with these types of tweaks and adjustments.

The first piece of software that I remember approaching modeling in this manner was the original Revalver, before being purchased by Peavey. I wonder if Line 6 will go more in this direction enabling the swapping of tubes and transformers.

It's fascinating what is being done with IOS and other mobile platforms, especially at such low consumer cost. Allegedly, this is going on the market for around $20.00.

It will be interesting to hear the audio and tone quality with this software connected to a PA, studio monitors or directly into an amp. 

#2 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

Looks nice!

#3 Rewolf48

Rewolf48

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:20 AM

It's got EQ where you can see what you are doing!

#4 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

I keep thinking that any day now someone will come up with amazing algorithms that won't need that much CPU power and from there  10 dollars might buy you the best modeling amps , better than AXE or Kemper. We can't be that far from it. Maybe this is just the beginning of such a thing.

#5 brue58ski

brue58ski

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:21 AM

I think one day we won't be using any tube amps anymore.  Mainly because of how toxic it is to make them.  It's so toxic that they can't afford the clean up it would take to make them here.  That's why most tubes come from China.  Something to think about since I think most musicians care about the enviorment.  And software will allow us to create amps that would be impossible to make in the real world.  Sounds never heard before.

#6 rublalup

rublalup

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

i hope Line 6 stop adding virtual buttons to the pods... concentrate on giving 5  excelent guitar tones... i just want to spend my playing time PLAYING and not tweaking.

#7 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

I hope one day we don't need tube amps anymore because the modeling is as good or better.  I don't think this product is it and actually wasn't that impressed by it, other than it's cheap and runs on a phone.  Phones today are just computers anyway.  Line6 has a Pocket pod... How much does your smart phone cost per year ?

As far as tube amps being toxic and hurting the environment... If people stopped multiplying like rabbits that would help the environment the most. 

#8 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5490 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

I think one day we won't be using any tube amps anymore.  Mainly because of how toxic it is to make them.  It's so toxic that they can't afford the clean up it would take to make them here.  That's why most tubes come from China.  Something to think about since I think most musicians care about the enviorment.  And software will allow us to create amps that would be impossible to make in the real world.  Sounds never heard before.

I don't think the production of a tube is anymore toxic than a lot of consumer goods. It's an energy intensive process because of the glass and metals involved, but I don't think any of the tubes commonly used for guitar amps are using things like mercury. A tube is mostly glass and nickle.

Power tubes, if treated properly, can actually last quite a long time. I think guitarists have the idea that they "go bad" after a year or two, but that's generally not true. I was talking to an amp tech I know (one of the best in the business, honestly), and he has power tubes that have been in use since the '50s.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#9 brue58ski

brue58ski

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

I don't think the production of a tube is anymore toxic than a lot of consumer goods. It's an energy intensive process because of the glass and metals involved, but I don't think any of the tubes commonly used for guitar amps are using things like mercury. A tube is mostly glass and nickle.

Power tubes, if treated properly, can actually last quite a long time. I think guitarists have the idea that they "go bad" after a year or two, but that's generally not true. I was talking to an amp tech I know (one of the best in the business, honestly), and he has power tubes that have been in use since the '50s.

Well the article I read (awhile ago) made it very clear the reason tubes aren't made in America is because of the cost of getting rid of the toxic by products of tube production.  The main bad by product is arsenic I believe.  I can't address the toxicity of other consumer goods.  But many consumer goods are still made here.  Tubes are not.  The reason why came from an article I read in a guitar magazine and one of the questions was specifically about why tubes aren't made in the USA.  Eliminating tubes won't solve the worlds problems.  I just think the toxicity of a products creation is something to be considered when making an informed choice to buy something.   In regard to pollution, it is my understanding that the biggest culprit is the car.  Well I'm not getting rid of my car and I don't know alot of people who are.  Sorry about this little rant.  I'll go back to my bunker now. :D

#10 dracul74

dracul74

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

My advise to line 6:

Add Bluetooth connectivity to the pods and create an iPad Pod editor.

I'd be content if they just ported the existing PC program to iPad as a start.

This would give me the best of both worlds... I keep my eye sight and have a rugged gig worthy modeller.

#11 TPguitarman

TPguitarman

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Guys youre welcome in this group >>>>> https://www.facebook...94153167286563/

Happy New Year :)

#12 davidb7170

davidb7170

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationDavenport, IA

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

The creation of silicon chips is also not the most environmentally friendly process either -- from the standpoint of some rather nasty chemicals, acids, heavy metals, and gasses in that process, plus the disposal of old solid state printed circuit boards ending up in land fills and the 3rd world, etc., etc. Plenty of coverage of that if you look for it. Very little in the world of electronics and technology -- tube or solid sate is impact free, but can be properly managed to minimize bad effects.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users