Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 4cm With 6505+ Feedback/hum Help

jmeulman

I've been using my HD500 with the 4 cable method to my Peavey 6505+ with Orange 4x12 and whilst I think I understand most of it to a degree and I'm finding being able to put an OD before my amp and a delay and reverb in the loop awesome I'm having some major issues trying to get rid of feedback/hum.

1)The feedback is a high squeal happening in the silence between notes and is almost instantaneous when I palm mute/stacatto quickly (djenty post-hardcore kinda band so happens a lot)

2)The hum is present in the effects loop and is to do with the amp itself (I think the 6505+ is notorious for it) but is pretty ridiculously loud, dissapears when I change to the clean channel

My cabling is all correct I believe: Guitar > Guitar In (HD500) > FX Send > Amp Input > Amp Effects Loop Send > FX Return Left (HD500) > Unbal Output L/Mono (HD500) > Amp Effects Loop Return

I have the line/stomp switch set to stomp and the line/amp switch set to amp (have a feeling that's wrong). On the Input/Output settings I have it set to stack Power Amp

My effects chain on the HD500 is as follows:

Noise Gate (Thresh 40 Dec 0) > Screamer (Gain 0-7, Bass 50, Treb 50, Tone 75, Output 100%) > Noise Gate (Thresh 40 Dec 0) > Mixer (channel A is centred Channel B is Muted) > FX Loop (Have increased the return db to roughly 4db I think) > Noise Gate (Thresh 50 Dec 0) > Digital Delay > Cave Reverb

My 6505+ Amp Settings (for the distortion channel): Bass 5, Mid 6, Treb 6, Pre-amp 6.5 > Post 2.5

In regards to problem #1 I can fix it by increasing the threshold on the two gates I use but I start to lose volume and a fair bit of tone as well, I was thinking possibly a hard gate might help things but I couldn't really figure out how to get it to work... :s Is there a different positioning of gates that might help me or combination of gates/settings that could help with this?

In regards to problem #2 If I put the threshold of the gate in the effects loop to 70% the hum is down to a level that I'm happy with but I lose so much tone and volume it's not really sustainable, again I tried to use the hard gate for this but could not really get it to do anything (any recommendations?)

If any of my settings/positioning of pedals in the chain is incorrect please let me know or if you have any tips on how to solve these problems that would be awesome!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...