Photo

Jtv59 - Loose Alt Tuning Knob

Best Answer ozbadman , 10 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

FWIW, I don't think removing the electronics to tighten this is a big deal.

I haven't looked for awhile, but here's an old photo with the back off my JTV. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wicker_man

wicker_man

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

Tightening up a loose pot on a conventional electric is not normally a big issue, but on the JTV59 the nut holding the 'pot' in place is submerged in the body of the guitar and there is a flange preventing access to it.  The only way I can see to tighten it is to go in through the back, but than involves moving PCBs etc, which I'm a bit wary of.  Any suggestions?

#2 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

I don't have a 59 to look at, but is it possible you could engage it with a thin-walled socket wrench?  Or, does something completely block the shaft nut?

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990) w/ GK-3 Hex PU

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

QSC K10 FRFR

#3 wicker_man

wicker_man

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

I don't think so.  Apart from the flange there is a small plastic piece between the flange and the nut that I need to get to (at the bottom in the pic attached - not the greatest of pictures, I'm afraid).  Unfortunately, this would obstruct a socket.  I'm not even sure it would be possible with a thin walled socket.   I need some sort of caliper that I can get in the hole that would give me enough purchase on the nut to tighten it without taking out all  the electronics.

It's not a major issue - it's not really loose yet, and I do most of my switching via the POD, but it could get annoying if it worked any looser.

#4 wicker_man

wicker_man

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Apologies - I didn't attach the picture!

Attached Files

#5 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:41 PM   Best Answer

FWIW, I don't think removing the electronics to tighten this is a big deal.

I haven't looked for awhile, but here's an old photo with the back off my JTV.

Attached Files

#6 wicker_man

wicker_man

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

It wasn't too bad after all.  Just seemed like a lot of fiddling around to tighten one pot.  10 screws in all, including 2 tiny ones that were on a small PCB that had to be removed to get access to the nut. 

Thanks for the advice all.

Attached Files

#7 dbaudrate

dbaudrate

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

the volume pot on my new jtv69 is very loose.  It looks like removing the pickguard is the way to get to it.  Will I void my warranty by removing it to tighten up the mounting?  

#8 ozbadman

ozbadman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

dbaudrate, not if no-one can tell you've done so.

As far as company support goes, Line6 is far better than most. As long as it's clear to them that it is in fact a warranty issue, they would sort it out. So just undoing some screws and doing them up again would normally be fine. Now, if you short the electronics with a screwdriver while doing so, they're going to be less forgiving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users