Photo

Dance Party Rig With Stagesource Speakers?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 nickinfrance

nickinfrance

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

I was listening to canned music from an iPad. This was just plugged into the RCA ports of the L2M. This was outdoors.

Wondering if people think iPad is too low quality. What would be better?

I do think that if you use the headphone out of an ipod/phone/pad the results can be a bit average.  Simply because you are relying on the quality of the headphone out socket.  Works ok but you can get much better sound out of an iphone/pad.  I use an iphone for backing tracks/pre recorded music often and bought a Pure i-20 dock.  This completely bypasses the digital/analogue converter on the iphone and uses the one in the dock.  Massive quality increase in the sound and they are not expensive. Dont think you could put an ipad on it but there are others that do a similar thing for ipads im sure.  Just make sure it has a D/A converter in it.

#22 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

I have only played canned music through the M20D.

I think it is always best with some type of EQ. I can't comment on the sound quality of the ipad, and how it's "sound card" works.

If you can, try a computer with a USB external sound card maybe like this:

http://www.behringer...cts/UCA202.aspx

Some of the USB interfaces will also work with ipad and the ipad camera connection kit. Just google "ipad external soundcard" or something like that and you will see a couple of options.

Also, there is somewhat of an EQ in the ipad under "settings" and it allows you to select different presets that may help?

#23 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

usually I listen to a recording of one our past shows.... or a 20 sec sound check

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#24 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

usually I listen to a recording of one our past shows.... or a 20 sec sound check

I think billappleton is saying he is not completely happy with the sound when he plugs an ipad directly into the L2M using the headphone jack to the RCA inputs on the L2M. He is looking for ideas of how to get a better sound.

Unless I missed something, he is not using an M20D. Just pre recorded music on an ipad. And would like better sound.

#25 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:56 AM

...Wondering if people think iPad is too low quality...

...I suspect DJs have lots of fancy stuff on the front end…

"No, not really" is genuinely the most truthful answer to both of those queries Bill...

The majority of Mac-using DJs do essentially run from the headphone outputs of their MacBooks, with the "fancy stuff" you have in mind probably being a variety of turntable-emulating external controllers for file management software (from the likes of Numark, Pioneer and Traktor) that "sits on top of" and manages the replay of audio and video files from those computers.

Unlike iPhones, having far more current at their disposal both iPads and MacBooks do in fact yield very high quality audio from their so-called "headphone" mini-TRS jacks, although you'll readily appreciate that it's totally dependent on the actual quality (or lack thereof) of the files being played.

That's why the more quality conscious among us take steps to use higher bit-rate or lossless compression algorithms rather than mp3, with mp4 (that Apple calls "AAC") often being considered the minimum that's acceptable for discerning ears.

Very few folks persist with the huge extra nuisance involved in hanging separate A/D converters from USB or optical outputs for the sake of a nominal improvement in audio reproduction. 

...What makes sense in a simpler situation?...

For many years now, I've had great success with MegaSeg Pro on my MacBooks (both Pro and "plastic"), but I'm sure that the far cheaper (albeit still pricey) "DJ" version from the App Store or here http://www.megaseg.com would be more than adequate for most folks, being the most stable, intuitive and comprehensive (if the dearest) of such systems that I've tried.

As the iPad version is still in the pipeline, a far cheaper solution for you (one that enjoys a solid following) might be the Traktor DJ app: https://itunes.apple...d592052832?mt=8

Nearly all such software systems will operate really well without those external DJ-style "scratch and beat-mix" controllers, still allowing instant "on the fly" search for and access to "requests", as well as comprehensive management of "seam free" playlists, ...far more intuitively than iTunes does on its own...

…So most of your "simpler" solution might just be in your hands already ! :)   

#26 billappleton

billappleton

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

hi all,

thanks for all the responses! i am realizing that one issue is the new lightning connector on my iPad. apple has made this more proprietary. any real DAC must license their decryption technology for lightning. apple also has a connector for this. there is one product available that has a direct lightning connection that i can find:

http://www.apogeedig...roducts/one.php

i might get one of these i will report back if there is improvements because many people use iPad. that being saud a lossless wave source would also be very important. there is a new "mastered for itunes" format that attempts to get better quality....

#27 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

I can't speak highly enough of the high quality and meticulous attention to detail that many of us have experienced from Apogee over the years, as you'll see from this trusted reviewer: http://www.soundonso...s/apogeeone.htm...

BUT...

…I'd strongly urge anyone using Mac tablets and/or laptops for location audio to conduct their own, individual "headphone jack versus A/D converter comparison", with particular relevance to their own unique application, ...before parting with the cash.

While a high quality outboard A/D converter will undoubtedly improve the "transparency" or "fidelity" of the signal path, I feel that any decision to purchase should also take into account

1. Just how (and whether) the lower quality of the analog jack output is actually perceived by the "target audience" and
  2. Whether or not that improvement is worth the extra expense, the extra complication and the added risk of failure that accompanies it. 

#28 billappleton

billappleton

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thanks Ron, listening to the apogee I think it is cleaner and more transparent, and I agree not many people would notice. It does act as a charger too, so not too much complexity added. But the best thing about stagesource is the convenience.

On the mastered for iTunes sound files there are a FEW albums available. I got a few songs to see what they sound like, but all my files are AAC and also same bit and sample rate as the new ones, so not sure what to think about the mastered for iTunes label...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users