Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 + Hd Pro X - Some Questions

htimst

I have an HD 500 and am looking for a studio rack unit and am considering the HD ProX and wondered if anyone has experience in using the two of them together. I've read that the HD can control patch selection and stomps of the HD via MIDI, but I'm more interested in sharing their DSP's.

- Can L6 link be used and what sort of control could I expect (using exp pedal etc)?

- Can HD Edit communicate with both units?

- Is HD Edit ProX a different program?

In my studio I would be primarily using the ProX, but am just wondering if I can still utilize the 500. The Pro will certainly take my ungainly mess of cables and move them to the rack. Just curious if I'm barking up the right tree.

Thanks

This can be done. I would place one device in the FX Loop of the preset on the 'controller' device and, as you suggest, use MIDI from the controller to the FX Loop device to switch presets and keep them in sync. You would probably want the HD500 on the floor at your feet as the controller, so you would connect the HD Prox through the HD500 FX loop, and the MIDI Out on the HD500 to the MIDI In on the HD Prox.

As to your questions:

- no - you can't use L6 LINK for this because each device has only an output jack for L6 Link. They are not designed to receive L6 Link info.

- questions 2 and 3 have the same answer: HD500 Edit and HDProx Edit are two different programs. Your computer will only recognize one device at a time; you can't use both editors simultaneously.

Yes, sharing the DSP was my original primary intent, but I was hoping for a less painful way of approaching this.  I don't run into the DSP ceiling very often, and when I do, I don't really need that third delay in the patch.  The HDPROX is probably going to give me that overhead that I may occasionally use, and will clean up a ton of cabling.  Thanks again for your help.

If you are happy with running the effects chains is series e.g HD500 does up to Amp and HD Pro does post amp effects such as those expensive reverbs, then I believe that you could use the S/PDIF out on the HD500 into the S/PDIF in on the HDPro and avoid the double DA - AD conversions of the FX loop.

Control would still have to be MIDI

Haven't tried it myself because I haven't got an HD Pro

Good point.  I've done that with an HD500 and and Eleven Rack with the HD's SP/DIF to the 11R.  I had control over both via software interfaces, concurrently though so it didn't really disrupt workflow to change things around.  Having control over only one POD device at a time makes connecting them somewhat more time consuming for tinkering.  I'm kind of lazy in that sense, preferring things to be on my computer desktop rather than crawling on the floor or tinkering with my aging eyes on little LCD screens, or selecting/deselecting interfaces and starting/stopping software applications to make changes.  I'm just looking for the greedy solution. Bleh  Thanks for the reply though, it's a good idea in a pinch.

So what you really want is for Line6 to make HDEdit work in multiple instances with multiple devices connected at the same time.

It shouldn't be that difficult to achieve.... especially if it is a problem for those who would be purchasing several devices

at the same time... how many own multiple devices and would care about this? meaning are you going to spend tons of time developing software for 10-15 specific users?

i don't think that the difficulty in doing this is near as big of a factor as this....

So what you really want is for Line6 to make HDEdit work in multiple instances with multiple devices connected at the same time.

It shouldn't be that difficult to achieve.... especially if it is a problem for those who would be purchasing several devices