#1 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

Man, I didn't really think about the possibilities avaible with such a simple add on.  Like having a volume swell and mix level on chorus readily available -- or a hundred other things I haven't even thought about yet.  Gotta say that sometimes the simplest things can give you a big boost in creativity.

#2 guitarno

guitarno

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

What EX pedal did you get? I am considering this for an add on at some point. I'm wondering which Ex pedal would be a good one as far as features vs price. It would be great to have a second one - I like to have one dedicated to volume. The built-in pedal is OK but it sure is a bear to switch from a sitting position. Also I'm not sure I like the feel of it - doesn't seem to have enough resistance for me - too easy to go too far too fast. I should probably try to adjust it a little. Maybe I can tighten up the travel and change the sensitivity of the toe switch.

#3 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

What EX pedal did you get? I am considering this for an add on at some point. I'm wondering which Ex pedal would be a good one as far as features vs price. It would be great to have a second one - I like to have one dedicated to volume. The built-in pedal is OK but it sure is a bear to switch from a sitting position. Also I'm not sure I like the feel of it - doesn't seem to have enough resistance for me - too easy to go too far too fast. I should probably try to adjust it a little. Maybe I can tighten up the travel and change the sensitivity of the toe switch.

I got the Line6 EX1 pedal for $49.99 from Sweetwater 9also available elsewhere I'm sure).  I also considered the Mission Engineering pedal that goes for $129.99.  The Mission pedal is by all accounts sturdier and heavier, much like a Dunlop Crybaby Wah.  I opted for the EX1 because my situation is an at home guitar experimenter and I don't need mil spec stuff for that.  I also found a few folks who claimed to gig regularly who said it was fine and had lasted them a few years in that kind of use.

I can tell you that I had the same problem you describe here, namely it is difficult to switch pedals from EXP-1 to EXP-2 via that stiff toe switch, and I figured for $50, I could have both available at once.  So far, so good and although this one is made primarily of plastic, it seems sturdy enough for my purposes.  Hope that helps....

#4 Inerzia

Inerzia

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

I wasn't gigging with my EX1 that much when it broke... :D
I just stomped on it a bit too hard. Maybe for the price you paid, a plastic pedal is OK, but I paid

almost 80 euros for mine, and that changes radically the perception of the product's quality.
Anyway, yes, adding a secondary pedal makes a huge difference if, like me, you're into real-time control.

#5 wolbai

wolbai

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

I am gigging with the EX1 (approx. 20 gigs) - no problems, reliable so far. May be I am not jumping that much on stage ...

Using expression pedals (the internal and additional one) can be indeed very creative. Looking at the pedals boards of pros, a lot of them have two and more pedals in their setup.  Especially for gigging pedals can be very helpful to smooth/blend out two song parts more easily. The sky is the limit for creativity here.

Over the time I have work out 2 applications which works for me:

Apart of the Wah-function, my EXP-1 is mainly dedicated to the delay-mix parameter where I easily can add some delay to any Rhythm or Leadparts - even into extremes. Sometimes I also assign other effects like chorus to the EXP-1 or even two completely different POD-HD presets (2 amps, clean, distorted, etc.)

I mainly use the EXP-2 to adapt the gain / distortion level (on same volume level) of my guitar sound: Tube comp-parameter, distortion pedal-paramter, amp-drive, amp-volume are the devices I am controlling with the EXP-2. It is a bit like the old school "volume knob"-control but more versatile to me.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

THE RETROMANIAC

Gear: Warmoth (H-S-H)-built, JTV 59, JTV 69, JTV 89F, Godin Seagull, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, POD/HD500, DT50/212, DT50/Head, Marshall JVMC212, Radial JDX Reactor
website: http://www.soundclick.com/wolbai  Band: http://www.jump-backtorock.de/

#6 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

I like having a volume pedal at all times for sure...after that, the mind is the limit!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hd500, variax, ex-1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users