Photo

Xd-v70 Capsule Has Died. How To Open Up?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RichG

RichG

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

The capsule on one of my (out of warranty) XD-V70 mics has died.  Prior to this failure it was working perfectly.  I turned it off at the end of the gig and put it in a sock then put it in my guitar case like I always do... next gig I turned it on and got no audio output.  It's not muted.  If I change the capsule with a different XD-V70 mic it works fine.  I took some resistance measurements compared to the working one and it appears there is on open circuit to one of the contact rings.

I first tried a support ticket but all they can do is recommend buying a new capsule.

Can anyone offer some advise on how to open the capsule to check the connections inside?  Does it screw on or is it put together with adhesive? Is it worth even opening up the capsule?

#2 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Hi Rich

You should get a resistance measurement of a couple hundred ohms if you measure across the center to the outer ring.  The other ring is not connected.  If you pull the capsule apart you'll pretty much destroy it with reference to handling noise so I wouldn't recommend it.

You might also make certain that the pogo pins that connect to the capsule are not bent or stuck.  Usually pushing them in and releasing a few times would fix that.

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

...You might also make certain that the pogo pins that connect to the capsule are not bent or stuck.  Usually pushing them in and releasing a few times would fix that.

In the event that doesn't effect a cure, (and before abandoning the capsule in question) I'd then try VERY CAREFULLY applying a few drops of something like this http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top to the base of those pogo pins.

My technique for doing that is to first spray the contact cleaner into its lid so as to create a tiny "puddle" of the stuff, from which I then pick up a droplet with the point of a pin in order to deposit it around the base of a given pogo pin.

Subsequent and repeated very gently depression of that pogo pin will then carry that minuscule amount of cleaning fluid in to where it can do its job.

Having done that, I then finish up by repeating the process with an equally tiny amount of a kerosene based moisture excluding lubricant, such as this http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B0083V8F7I/.

Here's hoping that it does the trick, Rich...

#4 RichG

RichG

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

Thanks guys- Just for some additional information, here's what I included in the support ticket:

The capsule in my XD-V70 mic has died. It worked perfectly one night and the next night I got no audio output when I turned it on. I get an RF signal, just no audio. It's not muted. I have several of these mics so I tried a different one and it worked fine. I swapped capsules and a different capsule works fine on the body of the nonworking mic.

When I check the contact rings on a working capsule vs. a non working capsule with an ohm meter I read:

Working:

Outer to middle: 500 ohm

Outer to inner: 235 ohm

middle to inner: 736 ohm

Nonworking:

Outer to middle: 514 ohm

Outer to inner: open circuit

middle to inner: open circuit

#5 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

If the inner to outer is open the element is dead.

#6 RichG

RichG

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

That's what I suspected... if it were dead then maybe some surgery on the innards couldn't possibly make it worse.  If it were the case of a bad solder joint inside the capsule then maybe there's a chance of salvaging it, but if the break is in the coil then there's really no hope.

Starting a new thread to talk about capsule replacements...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users