39 replies to this topic

#21 Reason413

Reason413

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

Back to my original posted issue...  I had the benefit  of  having a friend's band play on my system and last minute I decided to let him use one of my XDV's...     The XDV 30 that I have with a Shure SM86 capsule...  late in the show.. I Heard it !!    That POP ( the sound a mic would make if I unscrewed the capsule with everything on)   at the time I quickly looked at the reciever and saw no dropoff in signal and the girl was singing through it and there was no dropoff.. just the NOISE...   I can exclude the XLR cable that goes from the reciever to the mixer because I've used different ones and have had the same thing happen...

So...  Its either my reciever.... the transmitter... or the capsule....         If I were a betting man.. I would say the capsule could be the culprit.... majorly because I've come to the realization that these issues began when we started using an SM86 capsule on that mic....   I have used one on my XDV35 for a while now and have never had an issue at all... ..    So.... is it possible the XDV30 handheld just doesnt like the sm86 capsule?  Or could something be wrong with the XDV30 handheld that causes it not to cooperate with the capsule.... what is frustrating is this problem happens once per show... thats it... ONCE...  which is WEIRD... I mean if it works fine with the XDV 35 it should work wih the XDV 30 because I notice that both handhelds I have are the same part number  TTH-06   I may just replace the system and hope for the best....    I love the condenser capsules for the clarity we get with them an they NEVER feedback, ever...   I feel like I oversing when I use dynamic mics and alway feel like my throat is sore after a show... but with the condensors I can back off a little bit and I never have a problem.... 

#22 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

...That POP ( the sound a mic would make if I unscrewed the capsule with everything on)...

"...I respectfully submit, Your Honour, that the witness has described exactly what actually occurred…"

Oh yeah !

From your excellent description, it now seems to me that one of the "pogo pins" or circular "tracks" that connect your "culprit" SM86 capsule to the "culprit" handheld's electronics is not making permanent contact.

Dirt or oxidation on those pins or contacts can cause this, so I'd try VERY CAREFULLY applying a few drops of something like this http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top to the base of those pogo pins.

My technique for doing that is to first spray the contact cleaner into its lid so as to create a tiny "puddle" of the stuff, from which I then pick up a droplet with the point of a domestic pin or needle in order to deposit it around the base of a given pogo pin.

(I treat all of them, one at a time, VERY gently and carefully.)

Subsequent and repeated very gentle depression of that pogo pin will then carry that minuscule amount of cleaning fluid in to where it can do its job inside the capsule, with wiping of each pogo-pin's tip using a a cotton "bud" type applicator that's barely moistened with that fluid doing the same for its "business end".

I then (again, very carefully) wipe a similarly moistened applicator around the circular "mating" contacts in the "body" of the transmitter.

Having done that, I then finish up by repeating the process with an equally tiny amount of a kerosene based moisture excluding lubricant, such as this http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B0083V8F7I/.

It's important that, having finished this cleaning, no "free" liquid remains to attract dust, so "mopping up" with a fresh and dry applicator is often a very worthwhile "finishing touch".

Here's hoping we're "free at last" !  :)

#23 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

It's likely what's called a stack-up issue.  You may have a V-30 that is on the short side of the tolerance for pin length combined with a Shure capsule that is on the short side of the track height.  If this happens it won't take much bouncing around to break the connection.  Cleaning the pins so you get max travel is a good idea.you may also have to sweat some solder on the tracks to increase the height of the track.

#24 Reason413

Reason413

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

thanks for the replies... but wouldnt this cause a dropout of some kind?  I would think that there would be interruption of the vocals coming through when this happens no ?  

#25 Reason413

Reason413

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DWPKYnpnKxI

I JUST REMEMBERED !!!!

Here is a Video of us singing  using our Line 6 Mics...  we were singing at a local high school on a pro level sound system. ( sound guy sucked in my opinion tho )

Anyway.. skip to the 1:50 mark.. and at the 1:55 mark you will hear the loud and horrible sounding POP I am talking about...  

These happens at least once every time we sing somewhere.... during the soundcheck it happened a few times at this particular event..

#26 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

thanks for the replies... but wouldnt this cause a dropout of some kind?  I would think that there would be interruption of the vocals coming through when this happens no ?  

Likely, yes, ...but NOT certainly is the answer to that, Reason413.

When the discontinuity involves the supply of power to a system, it's also quite possible for transients such as you've reported to be superimposed on the output, rather than interrupting it.

I had a look (and listen) to the video, but with all the "room" artefacts masking such pick-up as there was from (what I'm guessing was) the camera-mounted mic used for that recording, I couldn't really make it out for sure...

…however, don't for one moment think that anyone is in any way dismissing or disrespecting your reports of what I'm certain is a very real problem. 

#27 Reason413

Reason413

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

Ron at 1:55 there is a lound pop or bang that is very hard to miss... ive also had electric sounding snaps and crackles happen too... its annoying because i know it could be alot of things... the reciever, the power supply , the transmitter etc.... i may simply replace the xdv30 altogether and hope for the best... first im going to switch back to the original line 6 capsule. See what happens with that, rule out the capsule... these only started happening when i put the capsule on it come to think of it...

#28 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Yes.

I thought that I may have heard that, but I'm fairly sure that the video clip's recorded ambience has masked its true character.

As you say, it looks like we're still back to investigating capsules and pogo pins !

#29 Langhamhotel2013

Langhamhotel2013

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

I can now report my Line6 H30 black headset mic has arrived and will be used on Friday hopefully. After reading other posts you guys have replied on about the XD-V35 and one thing I noticed was that you told someone to make sure they used a mic input and then use the trim gain control? My Pioneer mixer does not have a trim or gain control on either mic channels. there are high, mid and low EQ an effects and volume knobs only? With both my line6 Lavalier mic and the tan headset mic since it went wrong and was replaced neither can be used because as soon as I apply any volume it feedback and no matter what I do with the EQ levels this feedback can't be removed. I do not have any trouble what so ever when using my UHF Sennheiser hand held FreePort system.

I will let you know how I get on with the H30 after Friday, but know that it is best to match the receiver or microphone with the gain or trim control but as I don't have one and the XD-V35 has no gain control to adjust either I thought it best to ask the experts about my concerns please.

My Apple Airport express router can't be changed to 5Gkz wifi band as it is too old a model so this may be a lost cause trying to use Line6 2.4 Gkz wireless systems anyway but I will also on Fri change my belt pack transmitter to RF1 to see if that makes any difference.

The Hotel I spoke about purchased 2 XD-V55 Tan headset models and a V55 HH which I used as the sound guy on their PA on Tuesday it performed very well and was easy to control with plenty of power available from the hand held transmitter. I did notice after sound checks when the lunch guests came into the room with mobile phones still switched on to wifi that the interference indicator showed at one point up to two leds? Which as we are hard pressed these days to find someone without a smart phone that has wifi connected constantly, why didn't Line 6 develop a better full proof system further away from other possible interference?

Regards John Music2Party

#30 Music2Party

Music2Party

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEastbourne East Sussex UK

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

Hi Guys sorry for any confusion as I posted as Langhamhotel2013 instead of Music2Party? I had to make them an account to register their wireless equipment and didn't realise I hadn't logged out of their account and into my own before posting the above reply sorry? 

#31 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

...My Pioneer mixer does not have a trim or gain control on either mic channels. there are high, mid and low EQ an effects and volume knobs only? ... as soon as I apply any volume it feedback and no matter what I do with the EQ levels this feedback can't be removed. I do not have any trouble what so ever when using my UHF Sennheiser hand held FreePort system...

Pioneer's "bog standard" mic inputs work just fine with all XD-V receivers, John, but there's just no way any omnidirectional mic will "cut it" for that kind of work. Feedback is exactly what we'd expect.

Your Sennheiser handheld, however, (like the other mics you've found to be successful) is a directional type, so is much better suited to what you're doing.

...we are hard pressed these days to find someone without a smart phone that has wifi connected constantly, why didn't Line 6 develop a better full proof system...

They did. It's the older RF1 scheme of frequencies that you already know about, but the RF2 scheme you're currently using also allows the option of tuning to work alongside rather than just "trampling over" existing WiFi users who are nearby.

It's better explained here: http://line6.com/sup...frequencies-r90

Incidentally, the presence of a red LED or two just tells us that there's other 2.4GHz activity around. It's only higher levels that may eventually give us grief.

#32 Reason413

Reason413

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

Ok, so the popping noise issue...... not sure how this thread turned into talking about a headset mic.. but anyway...

I have bench tested both my XDV 30 and XDV 35 ... 

I think while I may have had a slight pogo pin issue with the capsule itself, I've ruled out the capsule being the culprit... I took Don Boomer's advice and sweated some solder on the bottom of the capsule to give me a better connection and that helps I'm sure.. I get a nice solid connection and nothing I do makes for any movement of any kind with the capsule...  

That being said...  I also did another test and in the end I believe that my XDV 30 transmitter just does not play well with other capsules...

In a side by side comparison ( and I used it with different mixer channels just in case it was a pre amp issue )    I  set boh mics up with the exact same amount of gain, eq and fader levels... listened in the headphones....   the XDV 35 handheld with the SM86 capsule is SILENT when unmuted and ready for action.. no hiss, no humm dead silence ( which is the desired effect...  I also put the SM86 capsule from the other unit in question and same result..

The XDV 30 handheld with the SM86 capsule is noisy.. a noticable hiss from this transmitter  going into BOTH the XDV 35 and 30 reciever... I also put an SM 58 capsule on this transmitter and had the same result.... BUT when I put the original line 6 capsule on this... SILENCE !   no issues at all... dead quiet like the XDV 35...    SO... This leads me to believe that all I simply need to do is replace the handheld transmitter and I may no longer have any issues... ( it would be awesome if Line 6 would allow me to swap this one out.... ( hint hint )  

#33 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:02 AM

...I also put an SM 58 capsule on this transmitter and had the same result.... BUT when I put the original line 6 capsule on this... SILENCE !   no issues at all... dead quiet like the XDV 35...    SO... This leads me to believe that all I simply need to do is replace the handheld transmitter and I may no longer have any issues...

That still seems to me as though it may be a contact issue in that particular XD-V30 handheld, very much as described earlier by Don Boomer in that the individual "fit" of the Line 6 capsule just seems to "suit it" best.

As for...

...not sure how this thread turned into talking about a headset mic.. but anyway...

…I guess that maybe we should make allowances for a new member who hasn't yet come to terms with creating a "new" topic for a different issue.  :)  

#34 Reason413

Reason413

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

I have to disagree with you Ron on the connection issue mainly because the solder i sweated onto the  has deep depressions in them from where the pins are making contact so from what I see, I have some nice contact there full time...  Lets not forget that I tried and SM58 , also two different SM86 capsules.. I find it highly unlikely that I am having a connection issue that causes an audible hiss that I dont have in the other handset even with those same capsules......   It is very possible that the XDV30 is simply an OLD model... and they have vastly improved the THH06 handheld from the XDV30 to the 35....  possibly..  I also have noticed there is no serial number on the XDV 30 handheld.... so Im thinking possibly this one was a sample model or something? maybe the QC on those werent the same.. who knows....  

I have a really hard time blaming pogo pins on this one... I think I DID have a slight connection issue but on the SM86 capsule I now have solder and a measurable amount is on the bottom of the capsule..  I believe I have corrected this wit my question for Line 6 would be this... If you make a product where an issue like a " stackup issue " is even possible... would it be out of the question to elongate your pogo pins so it is a non issue? 

I might just be being picky with the hiss but it is noticable and comparing the 2 i have its night and day.... like I said, I could just be being picky with the hiss I have in the V30 BUT I think its fair of me as a consumer to want the best sound I can get especially when I have another unit that works and sounds perfect !  I think I will stay with my plan.. I will either replace the handset alone OR get an entirely new unit to work with the sm86 capsule...

I personally have no qualm with the Line 6 capsule because there really is no dropoff in sound quality between the 2 capsules... but the sensitivity and with feedback being non existent with this setup that includes the sm86 capsule.. I prefer it... plus I like the  look of the SM86 capsule.. to me the Line 6 capsule/windscreen looks like a cheap karaoke mic.... thats why I had at one time used an sm58 windscreen instead...       Anyway.. if I tinker with it anymore I will let you know...

#35 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

There is a difference in the gain structure between earlier versions of the firmware.  The Shure capsules have a builtin preamp which is noisy.  If you flash your XDV30 to the same firmware that's in your V35 this should fix itself.

#36 Music2Party

Music2Party

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEastbourne East Sussex UK

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

I do apologise for speaking about my headset problems on someone else s topic. I guess as my headset malfunction started as a popping sound issue but I see I was out of order as far as the guy who started this post so I will now start my own new post. Regards John Music2Party.  

#37 Reason413

Reason413

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

There is a difference in the gain structure between earlier versions of the firmware.  The Shure capsules have a builtin preamp which is noisy.  If you flash your XDV30 to the same firmware that's in your V35 this should fix itself.

How can I do this?  I dont have access to a V75 unit... is there a way to do this from a laptop ?

#38 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

You must use an XDV75 as it has a USB port and serves as the interface.

You should contact the dealer you purchased it from and see if that can assist you.

#39 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

...You should contact the dealer you purchased it from and see if that can assist you.

…Or maybe there's a kind XD-V75 owner near you who might (in return for a pint or two) allow you an hour or so with it, your laptop …and your TRS to TRS jack and USB cables...

…so that you could go online and re-flash your gear via Line 6 Monkey ?  :)

Check these out if you'd like to see what's involved:

http://line6.com/sup...hone-thh12-r545

http://line6.com/sup...itter-tbp1-r544

#40 Reason413

Reason413

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

You must use an XDV75 as it has a USB port and serves as the interface.

You should contact the dealer you purchased it from and see if that can assist you.

Don, I would love to do this, but Guitar Center is full of people I wouldnt let hold a microphone let alone help me with firmware, which Im certain they WONT do....  guess I'm SOL.... 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: popping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users