Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

500x Looper Still 40 Secs?

billlorentzen

Honestly I don't know why line 6 even bothered with a looper with only 40 seconds. You can't even play a 12 bar blues, let alone a verse and chorus of an average tune. I'd like to use it on gigs, but it's generally useless for my needs. Does the 500 X have a longer loop time?

Both units have the same loop time.

The main purpose of the loop function is not using it as if it were a dedicated looper, but rather record an audio clip and hear the changes while editing effects and amp simulations (it is very uncomfortable to be editing parameters squating or kneeling and playing at the same time)

Personally, I have a Boss RC-300 LoopStation permanently connected to the HD500´s FXloop, plus a MIDI cable to keep both units in sync (In fact, I think and use both as if they were a single unit), but still find very useful that included small looper with pre/post options available for editing purposes.

I do use the looper for editing purposes, and it's great for that. Still, if they went to the expense of adding the button, the programming and the 40 secs of memory, why not make it really usable? For me, as a working musician, one of the best things about the HD500 is that it covers all my essentials in one unit.

I do hit and run gigs where I have to set up a PA every time I play, and half my gigs are solo, so weight and convenience are really important. I'd pay $100 for the extra memory to make the looper longer, rather than carry more gear!

I use the loop pretty regularly. I drop in a muted string to act like percussion to give a click track, or I put in a chord progression to noodle over while I'm on stage. Normally 48 seconds is more than enough. For example, tomorrow I'm playing a church where I need to run the same banjo progression for 10 minutes, it cramps my hand up, so I'll loop it and relax.