Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What's The Future Of Spider Valve?

Scaryfast

Seems like Line6 is sitting on their laurels with the Spider Valve series.  I like my 212 Mk ii but with other brands like H&K's new Grandmeister 36 for instance really pushing the envelope, I wonder if Line6 will try to keep pace or move on to something else.  The Bogner name is extremely valuable but I wonder if they're working on something completely new or if we'll get future updates and effort put into the current lineup of SV amps?  Seems Line6 likes to develop a whole new line of amps and discontinue old amps rather than to continue improving existing series.

Any thoughts?

No inside info here, but I believe the MKII’s are going to be it for the SV line. The MKII’s were released almost two years to the day after the MKI’s, and we have now gone over twice that long without a peep about another version being in the works.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree … I think L6 has completely committed to the PODHD & DT amps, and to that agenda we see the end of the Spider Valves. Possibly even the entire Spider line? … but this is purely speculation on my part.

I still have my SV212 MKII and for what it does, I am still willing to hang on to it as a backup and an extra 2 x 12 open back cab for the DT if I need it. I still like the amp, it has some nice sounds if you know how to work things and I would take such a beating if I tried to sell it.

All that being said however, I am totally happy that I upgraded to the POD500 / DT25. I concur with both BigChas52 and Esibanjack's perspectives.

• 2 weeks later...

Line 6 will just do what they're gonna do, based on their own internal reasons.  A huge amount of their customer base desperately wanted a new Vetta and L6 didn't listen to that demand...and we know that wish never came true.  The SV MKII is yet another amazing amp.  Hopefully they listen and someday continue with the line, but being that it's been 4 years, I doubt it.  I don't believe at all though that the DT series is a next gen of the SV line.  The only similarity is The Bogner back end.  Two completely different amps on all fronts.  They just decided to put all their eggs into the DT series, that's all.  

In my opinion, they should get their asses going on a Vetta/Bogner amp, but again...I doubt it.  I'm really happy though, with my 500x and Matrix power amp.  

• 1 month later...

Yep, not a hint of one in the Line 6 booth at NAMM.  Been dead for a while, but now I guess it's official.  Soooo much potential left untapped in this line.  The DT series/concept is OK, but this is what players want if choosing to go this route.  Oh well......

Well the small Phoenix here is that there should be some good pricing (or negotiated pricing) on those new SV's still left in dealer's inventories for those who seek this particular amp. Shall we call it "vintage" now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I guess I was very lucky indeed.  

A friend told me about the SV line (now that I think of it, another friend warned me that it was no good, but HE then spent a few grand on a 1-channel, hand-wired Suhr amp) and so I bought 2 of them within the last 6 months or so- first a HD100 brand new.  Then, from the same dealer (I live in Germany) a 112 that was "B Stock" for an amazing price of 322 Euros, when if you can find them at all now they sell for over 500 Euros for a 112.   I am just getting into all this amp can do, in fact I am in this forum because I want to try out the "Direct Out" feature to reduce the jet blast in our tiny rehearsal room with full drum set, bass, keyboard, lead guitarist with a Diezel 100W and 412 stack, and me with the HD100 and 412 stack.  I already took the HD out and brought the 112 in, but it is still so loud.  I figured it is worth a try to use the Direct Out feature and go directly into the mixer (a Behringer X.32) and then listen with a monitor or with the powered L&R boxes from the mixer.  Anybody have experience with the Direct Out?  Can somebody explain when to use it in "Studio" and when to use it in "Performance" mode, and why?

...Anybody have experience with the Direct Out?  Can somebody explain when to use it in "Studio" and when to use it in "Performance" mode, and why?

Patgiff,

DIRECT OUT/PERFORMANCE: Affected by MASTER VOLUME. (per advanced guide, it 'taps off the power amp transformer'). Not clear what the best application for this would be.

DIRECT OUT/STUDIO: Playing LIVE with my SV 212 Mkii Bogner, I always connect the DIRECT OUT using it's STUDIO setting to the PA. This allows all of the preamp's tones, effects, and relative patch volumes to be sent to the PA channel fader (and ultimately the audience). It is a separate feed from the MASTER VOLUME of the actual amplifier. This way I can adjust the volume of the amp on stage without disrupting the mix the soundman gets (Currently me! Double duty..). It sounds great and works out beautifully. It's one my favorite features.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the future of the SpiderValve?

A: A doorstop if the digital pre-amp chip fizzles out or anything else on the circuitry besides tubes.

SSstormtrooper, yes, but all things break. For backup, I picked up a an HD POD Desktop to plug into the PA just in case... (still works with the FBV floorboards.)

• Upvote 1