30 replies to this topic

#1 federalhog

federalhog

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

I don't know if this is an illegal question, but the stuff is going into an L3T, so it is legal :)

Ok, my brain hurts already. I have a Morely a/b box. 

http://www.sweetwate.../ABY-xlarge.jpg

Here's what I want to do. 

I have 2 sounds. 

One clean (BBE Acoustimax pedal)

One overdrive (Boss Blues pedal)

I want to use one cable somehow to go to both of these pedals and then go out to the amp. But here's the catch. 

When I use the boss pedal for the overdrive stuff, I don't want the signal going through the BBE

I only want to use 1 cable. 

I've been using Nationals for years (TRS cable) and my acoustics (1/4" Mono) and I've decided to ditch the active pickup in the resonators (highlander) and wire the pickup element to a 1/4" jack and into the BBE so that I don't have to use battery boxes and the TRS cable any longer. But I want to have the clean and dirty sounds isolated from each other. Don't know if this is possible. 

#2 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

I have the same pedal but an older version you could plug your guitar into the single input have the two outputs, one going to the BBE the other one going to your boss then the cord from each of those going into two channels on your L3T when you do A and B together that would be both sounds or when you do A or B you we get each individual sound without having to change them around.

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:45 AM

I don't know if this is an illegal question, but the stuff is going into an L3T, so it is legal :)

I have been instructed that under International Law, the Hague Convention specifically excludes the concept of "legality" from applying to anyone who rides a hog.

(No correspondence shall be entered into regarding the possible application to or by the riders of inferior types of motorcycle.)  :ph34r:

...When I use the boss pedal for the overdrive stuff, I don't want the signal going through the BBE

I only want to use 1 cable...

...But I want to have the clean and dirty sounds isolated from each other...

I'm probably missing something here, so bear with me...

Don't both the round "kick switch" on the Boss Blues Driver and the BBE Acoustimax's right hand side "stomp switch" that's labelled "Sonic Maximizer" act to fully bypass (in other words "isolate") their electronics, (as with most such devices) so that signal can still be passed directly from the input jacks to the output jacks of both, originally (with older, much more power-hungry boxes) in order to remain "alive" in the face of "dead" batteries or power supplies ?

Along with many of their pedals, the Boss Blues Driver features a special "buffered bypass" FET circuit to ensure that their fully isolated bypass is "clean" and BBE specify that theirs is a (possibly even more fully isolating) "hardwire bypass"...

…So...

…I'm wondering why they couldn't just be simply "daisy chained", (without the added complication of the Morley switcher) by having the instrument first going into (say) the Acoustimax, then one short TS jack to jack cable from its "Line Out" jack to the "Input" jack of the Blues Driver …and the Blues Driver's output jack then going on to the L3T ?

Wouldn't it then be a case of merely bypassing and isolating whichever wasn't required with a quick stomp or kick ?  

#4 federalhog

federalhog

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:45 AM

I have been instructed that under International Law, the Hague Convention specifically excludes the concept of "legality" from applying to anyone who rides a hog.

(No correspondence shall be entered into regarding the possible application to or by the riders of inferior types of motorcycle.)  :ph34r:

I'm probably missing something here, so bear with me...

Don't both the round "kick switch" on the Boss Blues Driver and the BBE Acoustimax's right hand side "stomp switch" that's labelled "Sonic Maximizer" act to fully bypass (in other words "isolate") their electronics, (as with most such devices) so that signal can still be passed directly from the input jacks to the output jacks of both, originally (with older, much more power-hungry boxes) in order to remain "alive" in the face of "dead" batteries or power supplies ?

Along with many of their pedals, the Boss Blues Driver features a special "buffered bypass" FET circuit to ensure that their fully isolated bypass is "clean" and BBE specify that theirs is a (possibly even more fully isolating) "hardwire bypass"...

…So...

…I'm wondering why they couldn't just be simply "daisy chained", (without the added complication of the Morley switcher) by having the instrument first going into (say) the Acoustimax, then one short TS jack to jack cable from its "Line Out" jack to the "Input" jack of the Blues Driver …and the Blues Driver's output jack then going on to the L3T ?

Wouldn't it then be a case of merely bypassing and isolating whichever wasn't required with a quick stomp or kick ?  

I don't think the sonic maximizer acts as a bypass, I think it's some added effect sort of like chorus. So with your scenario, I think I'll always be getting some sort of modification of the signal if I pass through the BBE pedal. 

The other guys idea would work, but so would having 2 morley switch boxes as well. 

#5 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

In saying "...I don't think the sonic maximiser [stomp switch] acts as a bypass…", I'm wondering whether you've actually tried listening to see if this is true, given that the folks at BBE are very insistent about the boast that their Acoustimax can truly behave exactly as a bypassing piece of cable would, upon engagement of what they call their "hardwire bypass".

It sure seems as though that could save a whole mess of additional wiring and switches.  

#6 federalhog

federalhog

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

Here's what I mean. If I have the Boss BD-2 Blues driver and the BBE acoustimax, in line that is

Guitar > Boss > BBE > L3T the BBE is going to color the tone in addition to the BD-2, when the BD-2 is engaged. Maybe this is not an issue. But I don't see a bypass switch on the BBE. Just the Sonic Maximizer button, which enhances lows and highs and gets rid of some obtrusive mid frequencies. I don't believe it's a button to bypass everything on the preamp. 

bbe-acoustimax.jpg

#7 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

…I don't believe it's a button to bypass everything on the preamp...

Unfortunately, I haven't got one here either to evaluate, or to do what I'd really want, which would be to open it up in order to establish what that right hand-side "Sonic Maximizer" stomp switch is actually doing.

I am however tending towards believing that when BBE are adamant about their "hardwire bypass", they mean It, …so that "Sonic Maximizer" switch really should (whether within itself, or remotely) be taking whatever is coming into the Acoustimax's left side input jack and passing it, totally unaffected, straight through to the "Line Out" jack on its rear panel, with the "Tuner" jack almost certainly doing just that at all times, regardless of any switching.

In addition, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that depriving the Acoustimax of power would "force" that same "bypass" switching to happen.

I doubt that I'm alone in being grateful for any such evaluation that you might be kind enough to post.  

acoustimax-rear.jpg

#8 federalhog

federalhog

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

Here's from a review on Musicians Enemy

This pedal works very well. The sonic maximizer really improves acoustic tone when plugging into a mixer. It is important to note this unit does not have a bypass for the entire pedal... only the maximizer section. The equalizer is always in your signal path, which is not always desirable. A bypass for the whole pedal would make this unit spectacular, but still pleased.

#9 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

...The equalizer is always in your signal path, which is not always desirable. A bypass for the whole pedal would make this unit spectacular, but still pleased.

That answers my question, but we're far from being "pleased" !  :angry:

My next two thoughts for possibly creating what could be a "three stomp box" workaround (rather than needing four) involves experimenting with either

1. The Acoustimax's "Tuner" output jack or
  2. Its rear-panel "Post" switch that controls its DI output via the XL male connector.

The first (and easier) of those could only be a solution if the "Tuner" output does indeed bypass all of those pesky BBE

electronics, with the second only being viable if the "Pre" position of the Acoustimax's rear-panel "Post" switch can provide that option of having the clean sound of the instrument available at its XL male connector.

(You can see where I'm headed with this.)

Both options would have your instrument going first into the (properly by-passable) Boss BD-2 and then being "daisy chained" via a short TS jack cable into the side input of the Acoustimax, with the "Line Out" from the latter device going via another short TS "patch" cable to the (say) input "A" (for "Acoustimax effect" ?) jack of your Morley switcher. 

Option 1 (remembering that this option would only apply If the "Tuner" output does indeed provide the "clean" sound we're after) would have yet another short TS jack cable from the Acoustimax's  "Tuner" jack to (say) input "B" (for "Boss" ?) of your switcher.

Option 2 uses the same technique, but requires an XL female to tip-sleeve adapter to take the inbuilt DI's XL output to that "B for Boss" input of your Morley switcher.

In both cases, it would be the Morley's "In/Out" jack that would feed the single cable you'd like to have running to your L3t.

#10 actdmusic

actdmusic

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

My god! My head is spinning right now...

Just get something like this: http://www.bossus.co...p?ProductId=150

The guitar goes in to the line selector and then each line out wold go to one of the pedals. Simple.

You can use 2 channels on the speaker to input each pedal. Or get an y cable or adapter and sum them up on one channel. No problem because with this setup you know that only one will be active at any given time... Done! 

Don't over complicate guys! It's already hard enough to play the instrument live, let alone fiddle with cable spaghetti.   :P

António Duarte

My Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/AntonioCTD

Anya Karin - Soul Projecthttps://www.facebook.com/AnyaKarinSoul

Portuguese Rock Tribute Band: https://www.facebook.com/rockcassete

Iron Maiden Tribute Bandhttps://www.facebook...eamformetributo

My music School: http://rockgp.net

#11 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

You're right again, António !  :)

(And I'm sure that type of box is the sort of thing we'd go for if we were "starting from scratch".)

The thing is, my friend, once that short linking cabling's hooked up and secured to the pedalboard, it would need no further attention …and federalhog already owns the Morley ABY switcher box. 

#12 federalhog

federalhog

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

You're right again, António !  :)

(And I'm sure that type of box is the sort of thing we'd go for if we were "starting from scratch".)

The thing is, my friend, once that short linking cabling's hooked up and secured to the pedalboard, it would need no further attention …and federalhog already owns the Morley ABY switcher box. 

Actually I own 2  :) I read your first post above Ron, too complicated for a dummy like me. I'm not good unless I see a diagram, but there's some good suggestions here. 

#13 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:14 AM

"...too complicated for a dummy like me…"

No way, Praiseworthy Porker...

…I'm the "dummy" for not explaining it clearly enough !

Give me a day or so (I've got busy with some gigs) and I could get back to you with a schematic of the simple wiring...

BUT...

I'm with António in thinking that, if it was me, I'd rather spend the cash (only about 80 bucks) to avoid the "tap-dance routine" that would be needed solely to implement a single speaker cable scenario for either or both of your existing Morley ABY switch boxes.

This box http://www.sweetwate.../detail/LS2Boss (that António so kindly pointed out) is now discontinued, so it would need to be ordered quickly, while stocks last.

There is, however, another fully isolating stompbox selector from Radial that's almost identically priced http://www.bhphotovi...rue_Bypass.html …and my experience has been that their stuff really is "built for the road" tough and "true to label".

Both of those boxes would allow all of "the work" to be done at your pedalboard, with just one cable needed to drive your L3t (as distinct from jaminjimlp's clever "two input" implementation of your existing gear) …and both allow (and require) preselection on the boxes themselves.

To my mind, the Radial version might suit you better if you'd prefer having that extra "Morley-like" stomp switch that instantly enables the "Both" option, rather than needing to bend down to operate the rotary selector on the Boss.

At any rate, you should still feel free to let me know here should you need me to work on an illustration for you.

#14 federalhog

federalhog

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

I can't figure it out in my head.  :huh:

#15 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

I can't figure it out in my head.  :huh:

Great news, federalhog...

You won't need to !

Neither in your head, nor from a schematic, the very notion of which only arose from me not actually having a BBE Acoustimax in front of me to examine.

BBE are not lying.

Their "hardwire bypass" does exist …and is available at the left hand (nominally "1/4-inch Output") tip-sleeve jack socket, the label of which simply isn't visible in any of their online images.

Although it's designated as an "output", I'm pretty sure that the 1/4" jacks on either "end" of the Acoustimax are simply "parallel wired", meaning that the entire system will work fine regardless of which of those two jacks actually takes the instrument's output, with the "other" simply getting that instrument's "passed on" signal from its "opposite" located at the other end of the BBE pedal box.

The Maximizer probably just "picks" that signal off on its way "through".

So here's the very simple "daisy chain" you should try...

1. Your instrument's jack cable into either "end" of your Acoustimax, but go "true to label" if you prefer.
  2. A short TS jack "patch" cable then "shares" your instrument's clean and unmodified "hardwire" signal with your BD-2 Blues Driver by connecting from the jack at the "other end" of the Acoustimax to the BD-2's "Input" jack. 
  3. Another short TS jack "patch" cable then connects from the rear panel "Line Out" of the Acoustimax to the "A" (for Acoustimax) input of your Morley switcher.
  4. A third short TS jack "patch" cable similarly takes the output of the BD-2 Blues driver to input "B" (for "Boss", or "BD-2", or "Blues", or "Boogie", or maybe even "Bada##") of the Morley switcher.
  5. Finally, the "In/Out" jack of your Morley switcher (which you'll then simply stomp as required) feeds the single cable you wanted to drive your L3t.

Done !

#16 federalhog

federalhog

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

Great news, federalhog...

You won't need to !

Neither in your head, nor from a schematic, the very notion of which only arose from me not actually having a BBE Acoustimax in front of me to examine.

BBE are not lying.

Their "hardwire bypass" does exist …and is available at the left hand (nominally "1/4-inch Output") tip-sleeve jack socket, the label of which simply isn't visible in any of their online images.

Although it's designated as an "output", I'm pretty sure that the 1/4" jacks on either "end" of the Acoustimax are simply "parallel wired", meaning that the entire system will work fine regardless of which of those two jacks actually takes the instrument's output, with the "other" simply getting that instrument's "passed on" signal from its "opposite" located at the other end of the BBE pedal box.

The Maximizer probably just "picks" that signal off on its way "through".

So here's the very simple "daisy chain" you should try...

1. Your instrument's jack cable into either "end" of your Acoustimax, but go "true to label" if you prefer.
  2. A short TS jack "patch" cable then "shares" your instrument's clean and unmodified "hardwire" signal with your BD-2 Blues Driver by connecting from the jack at the "other end" of the Acoustimax to the BD-2's "Input" jack. 
  3. Another short TS jack "patch" cable then connects from the rear panel "Line Out" of the Acoustimax to the "A" (for Acoustimax) input of your Morley switcher.
  4. A third short TS jack "patch" cable similarly takes the output of the BD-2 Blues driver to input "B" (for "Boss", or "BD-2", or "Blues", or "Boogie", or maybe even "Bada##") of the Morley switcher.
  5. Finally, the "In/Out" jack of your Morley switcher (which you'll then simply stomp as required) feeds the single cable you wanted to drive your L3t.

Done !

Lost already. What do you mean with step 1?  Either end of the acoustimax? 

Step 2. How does a patch cable share the instruments signal, unless it's a Y cable?

See, I told you I'm a moron

I'll have to wire it up and take a picture of it when I get it. For an idiot like me, this is real hard to understand. 148 on an IQ test years ago, which I guess is pretty good, but for some reason, I have an very hard time visualizing text into pictures in my head. 

#17 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

Listen up, you moron...

How many times do I have to explain that me not explaining something properly means that I'm the moron …and not you !  :lol:

Your Acoustimax effectively is that "y-cable" you're (correctly and logically) asking about.

The best way to imagine it is to have a mental image of the 1/4" jack sockets on both sides of the BBE stompbox being parallel-connected twin "arms" of that "y", with the "stem" of that imagined internal "y-cable" being used to "pick off" some of the signal passing between them for processing, (via the BBE's internal equaliser and Maximizer circuitry) ...prior to that processed signal then being sent to the "Line Out" socket on the Acoustimax's rear panel.   

Attached Files

#18 SiWatts69

SiWatts69

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSouth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:13 AM

Listen up, you moron...

How many times do I have to explain that me not explaining something properly means that I'm the moron …and not you !  :lol:

Your Acoustimax effectively is that "y-cable" you're (correctly and logically) asking about.

The best way to imagine it is to have a mental image of the 1/4" jack sockets on both sides of the BBE stompbox being parallel-connected twin "arms" of that "y", with the "stem" of that imagined internal "y-cable" being used to "pick off" some of the signal passing between them for processing, (via the BBE's internal equaliser and Maximizer circuitry) ...prior to that processed signal then being sent to the "Line Out" socket on the Acoustimax's rear panel.   

nice diagram Ron. So much easier to understand! not that it's something I want to do! I'm just a sax player!

#19 federalhog

federalhog

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

Now I get it. Thanks Ron

#20 federalhog

federalhog

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

Tried it like that. When I switch to the Boss BD-2, the Acoustimax EQ section is still there in the signal. I'm using line out on the BBE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users