71 replies to this topic

#61 gckelloch

gckelloch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

Very groovy indeed, sir.  :D  Once you really grasp how the parameters affect the tone and response, it begins to come together.  The Decay is probably the last thing to be concerned with.  It smooths over the sound, so there's less detail.

#62 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

Tried Thump and Decay instead of Low Freq Cutoff and couldn't tell where Thump and Decay were doing anything and it was way too bassy.  Maybe it's more pronounced with differant amps, mics and cabs.  I'm using the Angel Pre with the 4x12 XXL cab and 4038 ribbon mic.  Oh well, I'm real happy with what I have with the LF Cutoff at 140hz and Resonance at 40%.  Those two things really helped me dial in the tone I was looking for.  Always happy to hear and try suggestions though.

#63 croSSed

croSSed

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington State

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

The help that has arrived on this thread is overwhelming.  Thank you all for posting.  I'm without a HD 500 at the moment because mine quit working.  I'm actually looking at selling it for parts and buying a 500X.  Peace, all.

#64 gckelloch

gckelloch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:14 AM

Tried Thump and Decay instead of Low Freq Cutoff and couldn't tell where Thump and Decay were doing anything and it was way too bassy.  Maybe it's more pronounced with differant amps, mics and cabs.  I'm using the Angel Pre with the 4x12 XXL cab and 4038 ribbon mic.  Oh well, I'm real happy with what I have with the LF Cutoff at 140hz and Resonance at 40%.  Those two things really helped me dial in the tone I was looking for.  Always happy to hear and try suggestions though.

It makes sense that there's mundo bass with that cab and mic. I think the 4038 has much more bass than say the 57. I notice you used the Pre rather than the amp model. The amp models offer a more spongy response and richer distortion. The amp DEP controls also become active for further shaping. You might prefer it with the amp DEP Master at ~8/10ths full power.  Amp distortion usually becomes evident at ~7/10ths full power. The tone often starts to fatten above that and then the high end harmonics really start to come out. You can tune the distortion character between the amp DEP Master and gain controls. Once you really grasp the other amp DEP controls, you might find them useful.  Bias X still escapes me.

#65 Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

sell it and move on...

Well do you have the same attitude when it comes to learning guitar?

I would say to him dont give up!!!

Take it slow bit by bit read the manual and dont be frustrated..

Download some patches from custom tone of songs or guitarist you like that other people have tried to immitate (most of them are crap anyway) and try to make them better but see what they have done wrong usually they have the wrong Amp to much dsist or to many effects and they sound nothing like the tone they try to sound like.

Also try to learn how to build an effect chain what effects should be placed first in the chain? etc etc (there is webpages that will teach you that) read the meambobbos awesome webpage or dl it (he has a dl version) 

And start from scratch with a clean signal i say use the HD edit software if you can as it is so much better to use and understand then using the units knobs

Good luck

#66 radatats

radatats

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

Well do you have the same attitude when it comes to learning guitar?

I would say to him dont give up!!!

Read the first post again... spent a whole HOUR and didn't have KILLER TONE... I am willing to help anyone but if you are screaming for help after an hour, sell it and move on,,,   ;)

l6+sig+pic-1.png   

#67 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

Over 20 years ago I bought a Roland GP-8, which is much simpler than the PODHD, and it took me more than an hour.  I spent about 5 hours getting the PODHD in the ball park and probably another 20 hours getting it just right.  But that's not a lot more than other devices I've worked with over the years, and they were no where near as flexible as the PODHD.

#68 RIblues

RIblues

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

There are several good points in this thread.

Starting with the OP, he purchased it thinking that the device was so advanced that all he had to do was plug in, power it up and he was rocking'. I think that a lot of buyer's had that intention when they first got it home only to be confused and disappointed when it did not work out that way for them. I respect his opinion and call for help, not many can dive into an "advanced" manual. I think we have all watched family members try to put together a gas grill. I know, not the same.

Then there are those who knew going in that there would be a learning curve, accepted it, read the manuals, read the forum post, watch the videos, put the time in and got what they wanted out of. Some did, some didn't.

I don't know what category that I fall in. I bought the device hoping that it was involved and complicated. I downloaded all of the material I could, reading it over and over while I waited for the device to be delivered. I have not been disappointed, I love this thing! But, I think that I am one of the few that love a lot of the factory presets. Heavy Chords, Blues4Stevie, Bright & Woody, Duffy's Cult, Phd Motorway! How can you not crank those up and jamb away for hours?

But to the OP's main point of needing videos, I get it. We live in a visual society now where people learn faster and understand things more by watching someone show them. I think Line 6 going forward will probably go in this direction more and more and they have been doing so. If you look at other products and technology, very seldom do they come with manuals and good luck trying to find one to download. Apple products, video games, TV's, etc. You'll find a quick start guide and that's it.

So the OP has a good point.

#69 gckelloch

gckelloch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Good stuff, RIBlues, and the gas grill analog is right on.  I've been through that a few times as well.  Someone mentioned the MeAmBobbo guide.  I've read through some of it and it covers all the things the manuals should have: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

Some might find the post I made here useful as well: http://line6.com/sup...ia-usb/?p=28797

#70 RIblues

RIblues

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Yes gckelloch, all of that is helpful especially MeAmbobbo's guide which is a must have and should be printed out kept next to your pod at all times.

The other very useful item is the Model Gallery which can also be downloaded and printed out. Line 6 provides just a brief description of the amp and effect models but there are some very good tips and clues in those brief descriptions that are very helpful. An example is the Vintage Pre which gives a description as:

A vintage-voiced, tube mic preamp based on* the Requisite® Y7 vintage Tube Mic Preamp, excellent for use with your Mic source input, Variax acoustic guitar models, or even in conjunction with Bass or Guitar Amps, anywhere in the signal path, to provide some nice tube warmth. 

"to provide some nice tube warmth" is the key in their description. It works very well and I use it a lot.

#71 gckelloch

gckelloch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

Yes RI.  I wonder if the Y7 incorporated transformers in the design -- which would add to the warmth and feel.

Bear in mind, that much of what MeAmBobbo recommends about guitar tones is from his own experience. He seems like a very smart and organized guy, and his guides are very useful for the most part. Checking the eq guide: http://foobazaar.com.../toneGuide/eq , I found a few discrepancies that are worth exploring in the hope of helping with tonal consistency, song mix considerations, and ear-fatigue/irritation avoidance.

His spectrum classifications are pretty consistent with conventional audio standards with regard to the low end. Kick drum thump is considered ~65Hz, so that's close enough. I might consider punch more ~160Hz, but that's just me -- something to explore. ~160Hz is the lowest frequency humans can identify directionally. ~250-400Hz has a tendency to build up in a mix, so you might consider dipping it a bit. He uses the term "djent" to describe the a metal style rhythm guitar strum. Of course, that sound involves several spectral ranges. I think his spectrum choice has to do with only the "en" part of the term. He seems to have identified the classic nasal/vocal range there. Above ~1.5kHz starts to become more defined and then steely at ~2 - 2.5kHz. ~2.5 - 3.5kHz is known as the "ice pick " zone. It should generally be scooped, or at least not boosted. Above that is the classic presence range from ~4-6kHz. I find 5kHz to be glassy, which can be nice in moderation on a neck PUP. As I've mentioned b4, the more ideal neck or middle PUP peak is ~4.3kHz, aka the "bell" tone. It's like smooth glass -- great for pick and finger-style articulation. Peak boosts generally should stay ~3dB, unless for some extreme effect up to ~6dB. ~6-8kHz adds a sweet sparkle, but it can be subtle considering most speakers roll off at ~4kHz.

It's really not worth considering much above 6kHz with most guitar speakers, but you'll hear more higher frequencies with the Hiway cab's modeled Fane speakers which roll off up near 6kHz. Maybe Line 6 will model Roland JC120 or JBL D120F speakers, which have highs up to ~8kHz -- not good with distorted guitar tones. I owned a Hiwatt Custom 100 combo with a Fane speaker back in the 80's. I never really tapped the full potential of that amp, but I do have a recording with me playing through it. It sounded so great cranked up.

He also mentions using the Dyn 57 mic model a lot, although he seems to lean toward heavier metal tones. The SM57 rolls off a lot of bass, and has a ~4-6kHz presence boost. Seems like the Ribbon 121, 4035, or just anything with more bass might be better. He probably gets more fizz (presence) than he likes with the 57, especially with the Hiway cab -- although the upper mids of the Fane speaker are soft sounding, so it's not too bad. It's actually a very even sounding full range guitar speaker which can take distortion well, unlike the crisper JBL D120F.

If I find anything else to bring up about the guide, I'll add my two cents about it.  He certainly has covered a wealth of information in an easy to understand fashion....my hat goes off to him.

#72 croSSed

croSSed

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington State

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

All great comments.  I actually have had the HD longer, and have spent longer total than an hour.  And as far as asking for videos, I've ALWAYS learned better by watching and listening to someone doing it, then doing it myself.  I'm what is known as a aural/kinesthetic learner.  Great reading here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users