Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any Good Sounding Wahs?

ext1jdh

I don't use the wah all that often for anything, but there have been times that I've wanted the effect. So far, I can't seem to find any of the HD500 wah's to be anything other than shrill or muddy with nothing in between.

Does anyone have any tips on setting up any particular wah model so it's...'milder' is the only term that comes to mind?

Also set the mix value for the chosen WAH to around 50-60% - it will sound far more natural.  I do this for any WAH pedal now and it sounds so much better and like a real WAH.   Adjust the mix to taste - but do not leave it at the default 100% as it does sound too shrill at toe down and too muddy with toe up!

• Upvote 1

You can set the toe position of the wahs to be whatever value you want. The lower you set it, the less harsh it will be. This goes for all the wah models.

Unfortunately, no matter what position I set the wah to, it is far too harsh and lacks any gradual change, regardless of model. The change is not linear using the expression pedal - it's mud or it's piercing. Not sure if the linearity is part of the model or the pedal. I'm assuming it's in the model since the volume control is more or less linear.

Also set the mix value for the chosen WAH to around 50-60% - it will sound far more natural.  I do this for any WAH pedal now and it sounds so much better and like a real WAH.   Adjust the mix to taste - but do not leave it at the default 100% as it does sound too shrill at toe down and too muddy with toe up!

I've tried pulling the mix down but still can't find a sweet spot where it sounds natural. It seems like the mix is also very sensitive for the wah models; it's either very full in the mix or transparent in the mix with very little room for fine tuning. 

I'll need to play with these settings to try and dial it in

Unfortunately, no matter what position I set the wah to, it is far too harsh and lacks any gradual change, regardless of model. The change is not linear using the expression pedal - it's mud or it's piercing. Not sure if the linearity is part of the model or the pedal. I'm assuming it's in the model since the volume control is more or less linear.

Well, what pedal are you using? The onboard expression pedal? It actually has an audio taper, similar to most wahs, so its response should be similar.

I've got to say that I haven't had an issue with the wahs. I find most of them pretty useful. Where are you putting it in your chain?

I don't use the wah all that often for anything, but there have been times that I've wanted the effect. So far, I can't seem to find any of the HD500 wah's to be anything other than shrill or muddy with nothing in between.

Does anyone have any tips on setting up any particular wah model so it's...'milder' is the only term that comes to mind?

Have a look Glenn Delaunes Tips and Tricks !!

Time 03:30 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6I6WCufEtk&index=3&list=PLAtvR9-QnutRIOUoBEpsrS2ILScadWuV9

• Upvote 1

You can set the toe position of the wahs to be whatever value you want. The lower you set it, the less harsh it will be. This goes for all the wah models.

No matter where I set it, it's too harsh. 

A wah works by sweeping the frequency range like a parametric EQ. It's like the sweep on all the models has the Q too narrow, and the gain too high.

Well, what pedal are you using? The onboard expression pedal? It actually has an audio taper, similar to most wahs, so its response should be similar.

I've got to say that I haven't had an issue with the wahs. I find most of them pretty useful. Where are you putting it in your chain?

I can use any wah model with any amp model and it sounds very brittle, regardless of what else is in the chain. Even if I use just the wah and the amp.

Have a look Glenn Delaunes Tips and Tricks !!

Time 03:30 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6I6WCufEtk&index=3&list=PLAtvR9-QnutRIOUoBEpsrS2ILScadWuV9

Basically the same as what's been said, but it might work. I'm just not hearing anything similar to what anyone else is playing. Perhaps something is wrong with my firmware

Basically the same as what's been said, but it might work. I'm just not hearing anything similar to what anyone else is playing. Perhaps something is wrong with my firmware

As you are using the onboard expression pedal of the HD500 have you re-calibrated it since you last updated the firmware?  I believe the latest level is v2.10 (from memory so I may be wrong) - but if you are already on that then try re-calibrating your expression pedal - maybe it isn't moving from zero to full and you are only getting a narrow band of the wah.  I can tell you that I initially found the wah's unusable until I tried Glen Delaunes tip of dialling back the MIX to around 55% - and that tamed them all for me and so I usually put one in my fx string just so it's always there if I want to wah-wah my sound.    Good luck - hope you find the solution.

• Upvote 1

My personal favorite wah-wah is any adult in the Charlie Brown cartoons. That said, I usually use the Vetta wah, toe position 75ish, heel 20ish, mix 83ish. Can't remember exactly, as I change it a little depending on the amp and effects in the chain. Usually gives a good vocal sweep without too harsh or too muffled extremes.

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone. I recalibrated the expression pedal, and followed the mix and heel/toe tips. It's sounding better at 45% in the mix with Stumblin's settings on the Vetta so that it's not an icepick. I still need to massage it for my patches but this is a good starting point.

This is definitely not an effect that you can just drop in on stage when you need one, it needs a lot of fiddling to be usable

Thanks everyone. I recalibrated the expression pedal, and followed the mix and heel/toe tips. It's sounding better at 45% in the mix with Stumblin's settings on the Vetta so that it's not an icepick. I still need to massage it for my patches but this is a good starting point.

This is definitely not an effect that you can just drop in on stage when you need one, it needs a lot of fiddling to be usable

Glad it helped. I don't think I have mine set the same in any 2 patches. It's all to taste.

I also usually put it before any dirt boxes instead of after.